Damn Aussie kids

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Damn Aussie kids

Peter Merchant
My second cousin has just got married, and they have decided to take on
a new invented family name.

How do I put this into Gramps? They have had one name from birth and now
they want to have another.

I can't immediately figure out how to  say for a person John Brown (from
birth until 2018-06-27) and now John Invented-Name (from 2018-06-27 to
the future)


Thanks,

Peter M.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 08:31:18 +0000
Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

>I can't immediately figure out how to  say for a person John Brown
>(from birth until 2018-06-27) and now John Invented-Name (from
>2018-06-27 to the future)

Short answer;  You can't.  Names don't have the necessary mechanisms for
date limits.

The best you can do (I think) is to add the new name as a "Married Name"
in the list of alternative names, then use Notes to detail the changes.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Age of destruction, age of oblivion
Neuromancer - Billy Idol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids / Alternative name/AKA

Reinhard John
Hi Peter,

use the last line in the Name Editor for the date range.
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_3  Chapter 1.2.1 General

Regards
Reinhard


> Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Juni 2018 um 12:04 Uhr
> Von: "Brad Rogers" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Gramps ML" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Gramps-users] Damn Aussie kids
>
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 08:31:18 +0000
> Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> >I can't immediately figure out how to  say for a person John Brown
> >(from birth until 2018-06-27) and now John Invented-Name (from
> >2018-06-27 to the future)
>
> Short answer;  You can't.  Names don't have the necessary mechanisms for
> date limits.
>
> The best you can do (I think) is to add the new name as a "Married Name"
> in the list of alternative names, then use Notes to detail the changes.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> Age of destruction, age of oblivion
> Neuromancer - Billy Idol
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot_______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids

Dave Scheipers
In reply to this post by Brad Rogers
The name editor using "Married Name" as the type and "after <date>" in
the date field seem the best option.

The name editor does NOT change dynamically like place names.

Their "Birth Name" is still valid. It is what it is.

The decision to make... which name do you put as the Preferred Name

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 6:04 AM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 08:31:18 +0000
> Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,
>
>>I can't immediately figure out how to  say for a person John Brown
>>(from birth until 2018-06-27) and now John Invented-Name (from
>>2018-06-27 to the future)
>
> Short answer;  You can't.  Names don't have the necessary mechanisms for
> date limits.
>
> The best you can do (I think) is to add the new name as a "Married Name"
> in the list of alternative names, then use Notes to detail the changes.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> Age of destruction, age of oblivion
> Neuromancer - Billy Idol
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids / Alternative name/AKA

Brad Rogers
In reply to this post by Reinhard John
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 13:18:25 +0200
"Reinhard John" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Reinhard,

>use the last line in the Name Editor for the date range.

Damn!  How on earth have I missed that for all these years?

I feel right foolish now.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Age of destruction, age of oblivion
Neuromancer - Billy Idol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids

Brad Rogers
In reply to this post by Dave Scheipers
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 07:30:40 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>The name editor using "Married Name" as the type and "after <date>" in

Thanks Dave, and Reinhard, for setting me straight.

Time for me to have an eyesight test, I think.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks
Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids

Peter Merchant
On 29/06/18 13:08, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 07:30:40 -0400
> Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Dave,
>
>> The name editor using "Married Name" as the type and "after <date>" in
> Thanks Dave, and Reinhard, for setting me straight.
>
> Time for me to have an eyesight test, I think.
>
Thank you all for the dissemination of your knowledge.
Peter M.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids / Alternative name/AKA

Dave Scheipers
In reply to this post by Brad Rogers
I am sure there are "hidden gems" that we have each not yet discovered.

I did put in a feature request to add the date information to the
alternative name list. Maybe if it was there you would have gone
looking for it.

The other hidden item in the name editor that most people I am sure
have not found is the "Family Nickname". This is different than the
more public "Nickname".

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 8:07 AM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 13:18:25 +0200
> "Reinhard John" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Reinhard,
>
>>use the last line in the Name Editor for the date range.
>
> Damn!  How on earth have I missed that for all these years?
>
> I feel right foolish now.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> Age of destruction, age of oblivion
> Neuromancer - Billy Idol
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Aussie kids / Alternative name/AKA

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 15:21:33 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>The other hidden item in the name editor that most people I am sure
>have not found is the "Family Nickname". This is different than the
>more public "Nickname".

Yep;  Discovered that at the same time.  I've not had cause to use it.
I might have found these two things earlier if I had had cause to use
them.

Still, better late than never, eh?   :-)

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Let them go, set them free, let them be who they wanna be
Lovers Of Outrage - Penetration

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment