Danish gramps users group

Kaj Mikkelsen
Hi

I have created a group on facebook for Danish Gramps users.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/363213654297545/?ref=group_header
The language will be Danish - but it is probably understandable for all
Scandinavian languages as well

/Kaj

Re: Danish gramps users group

GRAMPS - User mailing list
That's great!

Could you add a "Note" about the Facebook alternate support option to the localized wiki manual page?

Also, if you could cross-post a message to your Facebook group that, while there are translated wiki pages, the translation status page says the Translated pages are not 'enabled'.

Which means no one has yet created a Danish map for the linking the appropriate Danish wiki page to the help buttons in Gramps. They still pop the default English versions.

Soliciting help to Enable for Danish might help all your group members.

If this is not Correct and Danish pages DO pop from the Help buttons, then the Translation Status page could use an update:

-Brian

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 9:49, Kaj Mikkelsen
Hi

I have created a group on facebook for Danish Gramps users.
The language will be Danish - but it is probably understandable for all
Scandinavian languages as well

/Kaj

Re: Danish gramps users group

Kaj Mikkelsen

As far as I can see the Danish wiki only consist of the index - and nothing else.
So that is probably why it is not enabled.

I am the official translator of gramps to Danish, but translating the whole wiki is something of a task, not sure I am ready for that.

I have requested a user account so I at least can reference the Facebook group.

/Kaj

On 5/12/19 5:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Kaj,

Translating the Gramps interface and managing a Facebook page is already a huge commitment. Thank you again!

It is probably better to solicit other native speaker volunteers to work on the wiki. As they translate pages, they'd keep you busy with enabling links anyway!

However, it might be worthwhile to translate the page on translating wiki pages.

Although translating this shouldn't be necessary for those with enough English to do the very best translations, promoting that page might pique wider interest in volunteerism.

It also helps your target audience learn how to file useful reports on Translation problems. (The sooner you can change the linked sample report to one about your own language, the better.)

And you could use it to push any user complaining about a particularly badly mangled Google Translate page. It would remind them that they could tweak a translation and re-post a page that has no hovercraft full of eels.

-Brian

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 6:54, Kaj Mikkelsen

[...]

Bryan S
Consider using GOOGLE Translate to go from English to Danish.
I've used it a lot and it seems to work very well for the 'grunt work' which will need to be edited and corrected.
It can save 70-80% of the time and effort needed for line-by-line translation.

It is an AddOn for Firefox that I use in Linux Mint.

Good luck,
Bryan

On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 18:28 +0000, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

I have not had much luck with google translate, and all screen shots have to be redone to the Danish version.
Anyway thanks for the tip

/Kaj

On 5/14/19 12:13 AM, Bryan S wrote:
[...]

Since you indicated that you are a native speaker, perhaps this might assist you and/or assistants.

With this program you could simply read the page into a document, edit the text and post it?
Just a thought...

Also, the screen shot used in the Wiki are probably in some type of HTML source hence;
1. Find the correct screen in GRAMPS
2. Use an HTML editor to load the screen source code then change the words to Danish.
Hopefully, one could find an editor package that will automatically convert the complete page from one language to another i.e... English to Danish.
3. Display the new Danish screen in any private browser & take a screenshot.
4. Post the new Danish screen in the Wiki.

I can help you by looking for a converter for the screens.
BTW, I have no skills in the Danish language...

Bryan

On Tue, 2019-05-14 at 10:13 +0200, Kaj Mikkelsen wrote:

[...]

Thanks

I have such an app on my Samsung pad, and it may be easier to read out loud than to actual write the text.
Screenshots are pretty easy to do, but the whole process still may take time.
However I have received my credentials to the manual wiki, and I may give it a try - but don't expect it to be finished tomorrow!
I am currently running version 4 in my production environment - but I will run 5 in a virtual machine. Who knows, I might like it so much that I will upgrad :-)

/Kaj