Database error with 2.2.8

Anton Huber
Hello,
a german user had sent me a mail with his database because since his
upgrading to 2.2.8 from 2.2.6 he cannot open his file (grdb) anymore.
I also tested it doesn't work for me, too. Always the same message:

Invalid argument -- /home/anton/Ahnenforschung.grdb: unexpected file
type or format

Could some of the main developers testing the file and finding the
problem?

Best regards from Germany,

Anton

Re: Database error with 2.2.8

Espen Berg-2
Hi!
The grdb-file can in general not be upgraded.  What he should do it so
use GRAMPS 2.2.6 and export the database to a Gramps XML database
(.gramps) or a Gramps package (.gpkg).  This will dump the entire
content of the database to an XML-file.  Then he should upgrade to
Gramps 2.2.10, create a new empty database and import the database
export from 2.2.6.

Espen

On Feb 4, 2008 9:57 AM, Anton Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> a german user had sent me a mail with his database because since his
> upgrading to 2.2.8 from 2.2.6 he cannot open his file (grdb) anymore.
> I also tested it doesn't work for me, too. Always the same message:
>
> Invalid argument -- /home/anton/Ahnenforschung.grdb: unexpected file
> type or format
>
> Could some of the main developers testing the file and finding the
> problem?
>
> Best regards from Germany,
>
> Anton

Re: Database error with 2.2.8

Benny Malengier
Indeed grdb is not portable.
So what to do now?
1/ you have the original PC, do as Espen said and export to .gramps xml
2/you cannot do the above, then you need to use the dump tools, see http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_grdb
This dumps what is in the grdb to a usable format.

Hope this helps.

Benny

2008/2/4, Espen Berg <[hidden email]>:
Hi!
The grdb-file can in general not be upgraded.  What he should do it so
use GRAMPS 2.2.6 and export the database to a Gramps XML database
(.gramps) or a Gramps package (.gpkg).  This will dump the entire
content of the database to an XML-file.  Then he should upgrade to
Gramps 2.2.10, create a new empty database and import the database
export from 2.2.6.

Espen

On Feb 4, 2008 9:57 AM, Anton Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> a german user had sent me a mail with his database because since his
> upgrading to 2.2.8 from 2.2.6 he cannot open his file (grdb) anymore.
> I also tested it doesn't work for me, too. Always the same message:
>
> Invalid argument -- /home/anton/Ahnenforschung.grdb: unexpected file
> type or format
>
> Could some of the main developers testing the file and finding the
> problem?
>
> Best regards from Germany,
>
> Anton

Re: Database error with 2.2.8

Don Allingham-3
Sorry, but we have a bit of misinformation here.

A grdb file can be upgraded, however, it is not portable. And by
portable, we mean that not only can it not be moved to a different
machine, but it also cannot be renamed or moved to a different location
on the same machine. This problem is addressed in the 3.0 alpha release.

The problem that Anton mentions has been seen before, or at least it
sounds like a problem that we have seen before. This is caused by one of
two issues, neither of which is an upgrade problem.

  1) The file has been renamed or moved to a different location
  2) The system no longer has a mime-type mapping to .grdb

Issue 1 is the more common issue, but we have seen binary packages built
that do not set the mime-types correctly.

Don

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 18:50 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> Indeed grdb is not portable.
> So what to do now?
> 1/ you have the original PC, do as Espen said and export to .gramps
> xml
> 2/you cannot do the above, then you need to use the dump tools, see
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_grdb
> This dumps what is in the grdb to a usable format.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Benny
>
> 2008/2/4, Espen Berg <[hidden email]>:
>         Hi!
>         The grdb-file can in general not be upgraded.  What he should
>         do it so
>         use GRAMPS 2.2.6 and export the database to a Gramps XML
>         database
>         (.gramps) or a Gramps package (.gpkg).  This will dump the
>         entire
>         content of the database to an XML-file.  Then he should
>         upgrade to
>         Gramps 2.2.10, create a new empty database and import the
>         database
>         export from 2.2.6.
>
>         Espen
>

>         On Feb 4, 2008 9:57 AM, Anton Huber <[hidden email]>
>         wrote:
>         > Hello,
>         > a german user had sent me a mail with his database because
>         since his
>         > upgrading to 2.2.8 from 2.2.6 he cannot open his file (grdb)
>         anymore.
>         > I also tested it doesn't work for me, too. Always the same
>         message:
>         >
>         > Invalid argument -- /home/anton/Ahnenforschung.grdb:
>         unexpected file
>         > type or format
>         >
>         > Could some of the main developers testing the file and
>         finding the
>         > problem?
>         >
>         > Best regards from Germany,
>         >
>         > Anton
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >

Re: Database error with 2.2.8

Julio Sánchez-2
One thing that bugs me about the reliance on XML copies is that change times for all records are reset when importing from XML so it is not a lossless process.

I have patches to _ReadXML.py in 2.2 that respect the change attribute in the XML file. So that in my tests I can import an XML file into an empty grdb, export immediately as XML and the result is byte-per-byte identical (even md5sum agrees).

Any interest?

Julio

2008/2/4, Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>         Gramps 2.2.10, create a new empty database and import the
>         database
>         export from 2.2.6.
>
>         Espen
>

>         On Feb 4, 2008 9:57 AM, Anton Huber <[hidden email]>
>         wrote:
>         > Hello,
>         > a german user had sent me a mail with his database because
>         since his
>         > upgrading to 2.2.8 from 2.2.6 he cannot open his file (grdb)
>         anymore.
>         > I also tested it doesn't work for me, too. Always the same
>         message:
>         >
>         > Invalid argument -- /home/anton/Ahnenforschung.grdb:
>         unexpected file
>         > type or format
>         >
>         > Could some of the main developers testing the file and

Re: Database error with 2.2.8

Benny Malengier

2008/2/5, Julio Sánchez <[hidden email]>:
One thing that bugs me about the reliance on XML copies is that change times for all records are reset when importing from XML so it is not a lossless process.

I have patches to _ReadXML.py in 2.2 that respect the change attribute in the XML file. So that in my tests I can import an XML file into an empty grdb, export immediately as XML and the result is byte-per-byte identical (even md5sum agrees).

Any interest?

Of course, the fact that date is updated is a bug. I have been trying to find time to fix that one, but I'm too busy at the moment with real life :-(
Please post a patch on the bug tracker. The code will need to be ported to the 3.0 branch too, but working code for 2.2.x should make that straithforward.

Re: Database error with 2.2.8

Stéphane Charette-2
> The problem that Anton mentions has been seen before, or at least it
> sounds like a problem that we have seen before. This is caused by one of
> two issues, neither of which is an upgrade problem.
>
>   1) The file has been renamed or moved to a different location
>   2) The system no longer has a mime-type mapping to .grdb
>
> Issue 1 is the more common issue, but we have seen binary packages built
> that do not set the mime-types correctly.

I have seen problem #2 in the following situation:

1) clean install a new Ubuntu system (do not install gramps.deb)
2) download the source to GRAMPS from svn
3) run directly from the source, without installing the built package

In this situation, the mime-types haven't been installed, which
matches the error message reported.

Stéphane