Database location in Windows

Michael Tennant
I run Gramps in Windows 10.  the grampsdb folder installs to: c:\ users [username]\appdata\roaming\gramps, and I find this less than convenient.  My modus operandi is always to install programs to the default location on the hard drive, but to keep all "data" files in a separate location which is backed up every evening. This is on a separate partition.

Is there a straightforward method of moving the default Gramps database location to this partition so that everything that changes each day is backed up along with my other data files?

Cheers

Mike

Re: Database location in Windows

enno
Op 10-05-18 om 09:59 schreef Michael Tennant:
I run Gramps in Windows 10.  the grampsdb folder installs to: c:\ users [username]\appdata\roaming\gramps, and I find this less than convenient.  My modus operandi is always to install programs to the default location on the hard drive, but to keep all "data" files in a separate location which is backed up every evening. This is on a separate partition.

Is there a straightforward method of moving the default Gramps database location to this partition so that everything that changes each day is backed up along with my other data files?
Yes. You can move the grampsdb folder anywhere you like, and then change its location in Gramps' preferences dialog. It's pretty straightforward, but it means that your add-ons and settings will not be moved, because they sit in the (.)gramps folder, not grampsdb.

If you want to move all data and settings, you will need to change the GRAMPSHOME environment variable after the move. That's a little more work, but it can be done. Please check the wiki for that.

Cheers,

Re: Database location in Windows

I too am on Win10. With two profiles on the computer I keep everything
in c:\users\public\Genealogy with subfolders for the database and
media records along with other folders for various research files.
This is also the folder where I send the backups to and pdf reports.
.
You can set these folders in Gramps Preferences. The backups, exports,
imports, report locations will be remembered with use.

HTH Dave