Database location on MAC, and Re: Database location in Windows

Database location on MAC, and Re: Database location in Windows

Ekkehard Pofahl
Hello Enno,

thanks for your hint.

> Please check the wiki for that.

;-)

Which keyword should I search for to get the right info ? I tried
several, but obviously the wrong ones.

I using a Mac, the issue is the same. It would be good to find all
info about gramps storage philosophie on one place, maybe in the wiki.
I could search in the sources, but ...

My idea is to use a dropbox folder for all data. By this way it should
be possible, that also other people could work with the data base.

Ultimate goal would be, that the data can be worked with by any
operating system, Windows, Mac or Linux. And the data sit in a Dropbox
folder. :-) .

Thanks.

Best regards
Ekkehard

--
Ekkehard Pofahl
Finkenweg 12, 51515 Kuerten

> Op 10-05-18 om 09:59 schreef Michael Tennant:
>
> I run Gramps in Windows 10.  the grampsdb folder installs to: c:\ users
> [username]\appdata\roaming\gramps, and I find this less than convenient.  My
> modus operandi is always to install programs to the default location on the
> hard drive, but to keep all "data" files in a separate location which is
> backed up every evening. This is on a separate partition.
>
> Is there a straightforward method of moving the default Gramps database
> location to this partition so that everything that changes each day is
> backed up along with my other data files?
>
> Yes. You can move the grampsdb folder anywhere you like, and then change its
> location in Gramps' preferences dialog. It's pretty straightforward, but it
> means that your add-ons and settings will not be moved, because they sit in
> the (.)gramps folder, not grampsdb.
>
> If you want to move all data and settings, you will need to change the
> GRAMPSHOME environment variable after the move. That's a little more work,
> but it can be done. Please check the wiki for that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Enno

Re: Database location on MAC, and Re: Database location in Windows

enno
Hallo Ekkehard,

> Hello Enno,
>
> thanks for your hint.
>
>> Please check the wiki for that.
> ;-)
>
> Which keyword should I search for to get the right info ? I tried
> several, but obviously the wrong ones.
Try GRAMPSHOME. You'll see a page with a lot of environment variables
and ways to start Gramps from the command line, for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

> I using a Mac, the issue is the same. It would be good to find all
> info about gramps storage philosophie on one place, maybe in the wiki.
> I could search in the sources, but ...
I know the problem. We have a lot of information in the wiki, but the
search is not very smart, so it's quite difficult to find the right
page. I would love for the wiki to automatically adapt the search so
that the top results are the most recent ones, and adapted to your language.

> My idea is to use a dropbox folder for all data. By this way it should
> be possible, that also other people could work with the data base.
>
> Ultimate goal would be, that the data can be worked with by any
> operating system, Windows, Mac or Linux. And the data sit in a Dropbox
> folder. :-) .
And my advice is to avoid that. The database was not made for that, so
it is very likely that things will get messed up. This might even be
true if you don't really work on things simultaneously, because I don't
know if Dropbox may lock a file when you're working on it.

Our current database has different formats for different operating
systems, so your ultimate goal is a sure way to disaster. It may work a
bit better when you use Gramps 5 with SQLite, but even that database is
not multi-user, at least not in the way that Gramps uses that.

Cheers,