Database recovery options

Steven Kelley
Longtime user, and never had an issue until this morning. I had a issue pop up on the computer last night compliments of my child doing "something" she should not have. Anyway, that is resolved, but in the meantime a few things were corrupted including "gasp" my very large, and unfortunately not updated in two months, gramps database. The latest version update I did was to Gramps 3.4.8-1., and I've been plugging away happily with that for some time.

I tried reopening the DB after a system crash and it was corrupt, so I tried to do the most obvious recover from the backup, and unfortunately I was hit with another crash. So now the DB is locked, I break the lock, and get this:

The schema version is not supported by this version of Gramps.

This Family Tree is schema version 0, and this version of Gramps supports versions 9 to 16

Please upgrade to the corresponding version or use XML for porting data between different schema versions.

So at this point I figure all is lost with the current DB and I start looking at importing my most recent backup. Now keep in mind that I do a full and complete backup with all media, and then I stuff a duplicate of that to the cloud, because I only do this once per month. I think worse case scenario of total loss of a computer where I would lose all the media and everything, or my death, and the file as a whole can be passed on, and I'm willing to lose a month at a time. Unfortunately last month was "busy" and I forgot. Anyway. I can't get the backup to successfully import, because of the media. It appears to be "breaking" after about 1300 or so media objects and losing the path. So now I am facing loss of all of my years of research. Is there a way to extract the good stuff, without the media, from the huge file, because it contains all of the media, since I already have all of the media intact on my computer? Then I would just have to reset paths and stuff like that. For reference, the GPKG file size, with all media is 5.2+GB.

Steve

Re: Database recovery options

John Ralls-2

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 9:14 AM, Steven Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Longtime user, and never had an issue until this morning. I had a issue pop up on the computer last night compliments of my child doing "something" she should not have. Anyway, that is resolved, but in the meantime a few things were corrupted including "gasp" my very large, and unfortunately not updated in two months, gramps database. The latest version update I did was to Gramps 3.4.8-1., and I've been plugging away happily with that for some time.
>
> I tried reopening the DB after a system crash and it was corrupt, so I tried to do the most obvious recover from the backup, and unfortunately I was hit with another crash. So now the DB is locked, I break the lock, and get this:
>
> The schema version is not supported by this version of Gramps.
>
> This Family Tree is schema version 0, and this version of Gramps supports versions 9 to 16
>
> Please upgrade to the corresponding version or use XML for porting data between different schema versions.
>
> So at this point I figure all is lost with the current DB and I start looking at importing my most recent backup. Now keep in mind that I do a full and complete backup with all media, and then I stuff a duplicate of that to the cloud, because I only do this once per month. I think worse case scenario of total loss of a computer where I would lose all the media and everything, or my death, and the file as a whole can be passed on, and I'm willing to lose a month at a time. Unfortunately last month was "busy" and I forgot. Anyway. I can't get the backup to successfully import, because of the media. It appears to be "breaking" after about 1300 or so media objects and losing the path. So now I am facing loss of all of my years of research. Is there a way to extract the good stuff, without the media, from the huge file, because it contains all of the media, since I already have all of the media intact on my computer? Then I would just have to reset paths and stuff like that. For reference, the GPKG file size, with all media is 5.2+GB.

Maybe. A gpkg is a gnu-zip compressed tar archive containing the media files and a gramps xml file called data.gramps. If the problem isn't that the tar archive is itself corrupt you should be able to extract data.gramps from it. On a Unix system (i.e. MacOS, Linux, or BSD) you can simply say at the command line

tar -xf path/to/gpkg data.gramps

and data.gramps will be extracted to whatever directory you're in. You can import that into an empty database.

If you use Microsoft Windows get 7Zip, an archive program that can handle a wide variety of archives including this one. Navigate to the gpkg and open it. You should find data.gramps among all of the media files. Right-click on it, select "Copy To..." and select a convenient location.

Good Luck!

Regards,
John Ralls