Date parsing

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld
being parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as
< is kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....

Guess it is a small thing....?

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Date parsing

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Oliver

You can do this yourself by modifying the date handling code

I have done < = before, > = after, ~ = approximately (circa), <> between

Problem is not all the functions follow the date handling format some
revert to the schema which then mucks everything up.
The big one for me would handling the UK Registration quarters
so
Q1 1900 = 01 Jan 1900 to 31 Mar 1900
Q2 1900 = 01 Apr 1900 to 30 Jun 1900

The thing is GRAMPS is so flexible it can handle most things but how you
want to do dates is incredibly personal so you cannot please all the
people all the time

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld being
> parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as < is
> kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>
> Guess it is a small thing....?
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: Date parsing

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Phil,

yeah I could probably easily dig this up and change it - but like i
did in the proposing events when adding a new event I would have to do
it all the time a new release comes out.... I't like to see it
upstream :) < = does probably not break something somewhere else.

I was by the way impressed that xii 1900 renders to 1900-12-00 -
didn't know that ;)

Best regards, Oliver

phil wharram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver
>
> You can do this yourself by modifying the date handling code
>
> I have done < = before, > = after, ~ = approximately (circa), <> between
>
> Problem is not all the functions follow the date handling format
> some revert to the schema which then mucks everything up.
> The big one for me would handling the UK Registration quarters
> so
> Q1 1900 = 01 Jan 1900 to 31 Mar 1900
> Q2 1900 = 01 Apr 1900 to 30 Jun 1900
>
> The thing is GRAMPS is so flexible it can handle most things but how
> you want to do dates is incredibly personal so you cannot please all
> the people all the time
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld
>> being parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here
>> as < is kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>>
>> Guess it is a small thing....?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver

Re: Date parsing

Phil,

Well, isn't just about ANYTHING possible with changing code?

I'd like to do a couple tweaks on handler as a learning experience.  But, the time frustrating part for me is always FINDING the module to explore among the clutter of modules.

Did some searching and a pretty extensive document was written on modifying a localized date handler.

See

Since the suggested parser customization is related to the German keyboard, it seems like this localization concept is a perfect aligned target.

It's a good question what assumptions this 2015 tech document makes regarding background knowledge. It might be only useful to an experienced Gramps coder or a Python veteran. So a few people trying to use it and tweaking the document might be good.

(Though if I knew where the GPS parser was, it would be my first target.  Googling "New Castle pennsylvania latitude" in the US, returns an unsupported format:
41.0037° N, 80.3470° W
... and it would save re-keying if that could be parsed.)

-Brian

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 4:31, phil wharram via Gramps-users
Hi Oliver

You can do this yourself by modifying the date handling code

I have done < = before, > = after, ~ = approximately (circa), <> between

Problem is not all the functions follow the date handling format some
revert to the schema which then mucks everything up.
The big one for me would handling the UK Registration quarters
so
Q1 1900 = 01 Jan 1900 to 31 Mar 1900
Q2 1900 = 01 Apr 1900 to 30 Jun 1900

The thing is GRAMPS is so flexible it can handle most things but how you
want to do dates is incredibly personal so you cannot please all the
people all the time

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld being
> parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as < is
> kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>
> Guess it is a small thing....?
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: Date parsing

prculley
Brian; the GPS parsing is done in gramps.gen.utils.place.py.  If you can get it working without breaking anything else, please submit a PR.

Paul C.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 6:27 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Phil,

Well, isn't just about ANYTHING possible with changing code?

I'd like to do a couple tweaks on handler as a learning experience.  But, the time frustrating part for me is always FINDING the module to explore among the clutter of modules.

Did some searching and a pretty extensive document was written on modifying a localized date handler.

See

Since the suggested parser customization is related to the German keyboard, it seems like this localization concept is a perfect aligned target.

It's a good question what assumptions this 2015 tech document makes regarding background knowledge. It might be only useful to an experienced Gramps coder or a Python veteran. So a few people trying to use it and tweaking the document might be good.

(Though if I knew where the GPS parser was, it would be my first target.  Googling "New Castle pennsylvania latitude" in the US, returns an unsupported format:
41.0037° N, 80.3470° W
... and it would save re-keying if that could be parsed.)

-Brian

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 4:31, phil wharram via Gramps-users
Hi Oliver

You can do this yourself by modifying the date handling code

I have done < = before, > = after, ~ = approximately (circa), <> between

Problem is not all the functions follow the date handling format some
revert to the schema which then mucks everything up.
The big one for me would handling the UK Registration quarters
so
Q1 1900 = 01 Jan 1900 to 31 Mar 1900
Q2 1900 = 01 Apr 1900 to 30 Jun 1900

The thing is GRAMPS is so flexible it can handle most things but how you
want to do dates is incredibly personal so you cannot please all the
people all the time

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld being
> parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as < is
> kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>
> Guess it is a small thing....?
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: Date parsing

On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld
> being parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as
> < is kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>
> Guess it is a small thing....?

See feature request #2849.

2849: Use symbols to represent date ranges etc

Re: Date parsing

On 9/21/19 4:12 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld being
> parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as < is
> kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....

Note that Gramps allows abbreviations (which I find easy to type):
bef 1900
aft 1900
abt 1900

Re: Date parsing

ingridvg70
Would it be possible to have more options in the date type?  I would like to
make a difference between 'before' and 'until', and between 'after' and
'from'. For example: for a residence event I know from when until when
someone lived somewhere. For a death event, I might know that someone died
before e.g. his daughters wedding or after the date he made his will.

Groetjes

Ingrid

On 9/21/19 4:12 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld
> being parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as
> < is kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....

Note that Gramps allows abbreviations (which I find easy to type):
bef 1900
aft 1900
abt 1900

Re: Date parsing

Ron Johnson
These two should help:
For known date ranges (like your residence event), use FROM date1 TO date2
For when the date happens some time in a range, use: BETWEEN date1 AND date2

On 9/27/19 8:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Would it be possible to have more options in the date type?  I would like to
> make a difference between 'before' and 'until', and between 'after' and
> 'from'. For example: for a residence event I know from when until when
> someone lived somewhere. For a death event, I might know that someone died
> before e.g. his daughters wedding or after the date he made his will.
>
> Groetjes
>
> Ingrid

Re: Date parsing

ingridvg70
I see my example was wrong, because the From/To and Between/And distinction is available for a period, but not for a single date. SO if I only know either the start or the end-date of someone's residence period, I would like the options 'from' and 'until'.
NB: i'm using the dutch version, so I'm not entirely sure of the terms used in the english version. In Dutch I have 'voor' (before) and 'na' (after).

Met vriendelijke groet
Ingrid van Garderen

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 15:47, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
These two should help:
For known date ranges (like your residence event), use FROM date1 TO date2
For when the date happens some time in a range, use: BETWEEN date1 AND date2

On 9/27/19 8:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Would it be possible to have more options in the date type?  I would like to
> make a difference between 'before' and 'until', and between 'after' and
> 'from'. For example: for a residence event I know from when until when
> someone lived somewhere. For a death event, I might know that someone died
> before e.g. his daughters wedding or after the date he made his will.
>
> Groetjes
>
> Ingrid

Hi All

 From feature request

         calc. =
         est. ?
         about ~
         after x > x
         before x < x
         from x to y \x -> y\ {x -> y}
         bet. x and y \x -- y\ [x -- y]

My version

        calc or est symbol = Reason to make an estimation you
                                        have to do a calculation of some
                                        sort and I have issues using ?
                                        except in pure text.
        about or approx symbol ~
        after symbol >
        before symbol <
        from to, symbol >< Reason there is no difference
        between and between "from to" and "between
                                        and"

I am in no way arguing that this is anything other than my personal
preference and is why I dropped out of this thread previously.

I have tried to come up with a simple english language specification to
achieve what I would like from any date handling in a Family History
Program in the unlikely event I wish to move from Gramps and have
singulary failed.

My main difficulties being between what I want to be able to type into
Gramps, what I wish to see on Screen in Gramps, and what I wish present
if generating an external report and/or website.

On top of the above issues is calculating ages, sorting in date order,
language variations etc thus probably creating a fundamental rewrite of
substantial amounts of Gramps code and incompatibilty with externally
sourced code.

I suspect that are lots more worthy projects than this.

I will live reasonably happily with what works currently

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 27/09/2019 12:01, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld
>> being parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as
>> < is kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>>
>> Guess it is a small thing....?
>
> See feature request #2849.
>
> 2849: Use symbols to represent date ranges etc
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2849
>

> Nick.

Re: Date parsing

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:56:49 +0200
Ingrid <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ingrid,

>NB: i'm using the dutch version, so I'm not entirely sure of the terms
>used in the english version. In Dutch I have 'voor' (before) and 'na'
>(after).

In English, the terms used are also Before & After.  Whilst that works
for open-ended ranges, like you, I sometimes wish to use From and Until.

For example, when there have been, for example, county boundary changes
(as happened in the UK on 1 Apr 1974), to denote that I have to use
"After 31 Mar 1974" rather than "From 1 Apr 1974".  Yes, it amounts to
the same thing, but has always struck me as a little odd.

All that said, I agree with Phil (Wharram), that to expand the date
parsing to cope with all those extra rather desirable delimiters (e.g.
from, until, =, ~, etc.) would be like opening several cans of worms.

--
 Regards  _
You only see me for the clothes that I wear

Re: Date parsing

Phil, if you're working up a spec, you might want to consider ways 'date entry' could stay confined the 10-key section of an extended keyboard.

-Brian

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 9:26, phil wharram via Gramps-users

Hi All

From feature request

        calc. =
        est. ?
        about ~
        after x > x
        before x < x
        from x to y \x -> y\ {x -> y}
        bet. x and y \x -- y\ [x -- y]

My version

    calc or est     symbol =     Reason to make an estimation you
                    have to do a calculation of some
                    sort and I have issues using ?
                    except in pure text.
    about or approx    symbol ~
    after        symbol >
    before        symbol <
    from to,     symbol ><    Reason there is no difference
    between and            between "from to" and "between
                    and"

I am in no way arguing that this is anything other than my personal
preference and is why I dropped out of this thread previously.

I have tried to come up with a simple english language specification to
achieve what I would like from any date handling in a Family History
Program in the unlikely event I wish to move from Gramps and have
singulary failed.

My main difficulties being between what I want to be able to type into
Gramps, what I wish to see on Screen in Gramps, and what I wish present
if generating an external report and/or website.

On top of the above issues is calculating ages, sorting in date order,
language variations etc thus probably creating a fundamental rewrite of
substantial amounts of Gramps code and incompatibilty with externally
sourced code.

I suspect that are lots more worthy projects than this.

I will live reasonably happily with what works currently

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 27/09/2019 12:01, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld
>> being parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as
>> < is kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>>
>> Guess it is a small thing....?
>
> See feature request #2849.
>
> 2849: Use symbols to represent date ranges etc
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2849
>

> Nick.

Re: Date parsing

You probably want to explore the 'Quality' & 'Type' date modifer material on Entering Dates section of the manual.  The preferences section also tells how to adjust the number of years for an 'about', 'before', & 'after' estimation.

You can set the modifiers for dates (or date ranges) from the WIMP interface or type them directly into the date field for parsing.

-Brian

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 9:38, Brad Rogers
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:56:49 +0200
Ingrid <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ingrid,

>NB: i'm using the dutch version, so I'm not entirely sure of the terms
>used in the english version. In Dutch I have 'voor' (before) and 'na'
>(after).

In English, the terms used are also Before & After.  Whilst that works
for open-ended ranges, like you, I sometimes wish to use From and Until.

For example, when there have been, for example, county boundary changes
(as happened in the UK on 1 Apr 1974), to denote that I have to use
"After 31 Mar 1974" rather than "From 1 Apr 1974".  Yes, it amounts to
the same thing, but has always struck me as a little odd.

All that said, I agree with Phil (Wharram), that to expand the date
parsing to cope with all those extra rather desirable delimiters (e.g.
from, until, =, ~, etc.) would be like opening several cans of worms.

--
Regards  _
        / )          "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
You only see me for the clothes that I wear
Public Image - Public Image Ltd

Re: Date parsing

The backslash characters in the FROM and BETWEEN symbols make commands
ambiguous.

On 9/27/19 9:24 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> Hi All
>
> From feature request
>
>         calc. =
>         est. ?
>         about ~
>         after x > x
>         before x < x
>         from x to y \x -> y\ {x -> y}
>         bet. x and y \x -- y\ [x -- y]
>
> My version
>
>     calc or est     symbol =     Reason to make an estimation you
>                     have to do a calculation of some
>                     sort and I have issues using ?
>                     except in pure text.
>     about or approx    symbol ~
>     after        symbol >
>     before        symbol <
>     from to,     symbol ><    Reason there is no difference
>     between and            between "from to" and "between
>                     and"
>
> I am in no way arguing that this is anything other than my personal
> preference and is why I dropped out of this thread previously.
>
> I have tried to come up with a simple english language specification to
> achieve what I would like from any date handling in a Family History
> Program in the unlikely event I wish to move from Gramps and have
> singulary failed.
>
> My main difficulties being between what I want to be able to type into
> Gramps, what I wish to see on Screen in Gramps, and what I wish present if
> generating an external report and/or website.
>
> On top of the above issues is calculating ages, sorting in date order,
> language variations etc thus probably creating a fundamental rewrite of
> substantial amounts of Gramps code and incompatibilty with externally
> sourced code.
>
> I suspect that are lots more worthy projects than this.
>
> I will live reasonably happily with what works currently
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 27/09/2019 12:01, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 21/09/2019 10:12, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>>> would it be hard to have "< 1900" entered into an events date feld being
>>> parsed to "before 1900"? It would ease some date entries here as < is
>>> kinda easy to type on a german keyboard layout....
>>>
>>> Guess it is a small thing....?
>>
>> See feature request #2849.
>>
>> 2849: Use symbols to represent date ranges etc
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2849
>>

>> Nick.

Re: Date parsing

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:58:18 +0000 (UTC)
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello [hidden email],

There's no need to Cc me;  I'm subbed to the list.  On top of which, two
copies were sent to the list, meaning I received *three* copies of your
message.

Your mailer....

(com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail/5.43.3; Android/9;
PPWS29.69-39-2-4; payton_sprout; motorola; moto x4; 4.89; 1776x1080;)

....is apparently not up to the job.

>You probably want to explore the 'Quality' & 'Type' date modifer
>material on Entering Dates section of the manual.  The preferences
>section also tells how to adjust the number of years for an 'about',
>'before', & 'after' estimation.

I'm aware of all that, but none of it is of any help whatsoever when I
have a _specific_ date.

--
 Regards  _
It's only the children of the f****** wealthy tend to be good looking

Re: Date parsing

Patrick Gerlier
A precise definition of date semantics is forst needed.

I take the example of "before" and "until". They both describe an event
which took place before the indicated date.

However, in may acception, "before" tells I have no certainty about the
date, while with "until" I do declare that the event ended at the
indicated date.

Then both dates could be coded "bef. 2019", but the "Type" is different:
before is associated with "Estimated" while until is associated with
"Regular".

Maybe we need just another type such as "Guessed" or "Needs inquiry" in
addition to the existing ones to avoid conflicts with present usage.

Similarly an extended date "between x and y" would mean "from x to y"
with "Regular" (i.e. a duration) and uncertainty on an instant event
with "Estimated" or "Needs inquiry".

Could anybody give me the semantic difference between an extended date
and a span date? The on-line documentation is not very clear.

Regards,
Patrick

On 9/27/19 9:24 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

>> Hi All
>>
>> From feature request
>>
>>         calc. =
>>         est. ?
>>         about ~
>>         after x > x
>>         before x < x
>>         from x to y \x -> y\ {x -> y}
>>         bet. x and y \x -- y\ [x -- y]
>>
>> My version
>>
>>     calc or est     symbol =     Reason to make an estimation you
>>                     have to do a calculation of some
>>                     sort and I have issues using ?
>>                     except in pure text.
>>     about or approx    symbol ~
>>     after        symbol >
>>     before        symbol <
>>     from to,     symbol ><    Reason there is no difference
>>     between and            between "from to" and "between
>>                     and"
>>
>> I am in no way arguing that this is anything other than my personal
>> preference and is why I dropped out of this thread previously.
>>
>> I have tried to come up with a simple english language specification
>> to achieve what I would like from any date handling in a Family
>> History Program in the unlikely event I wish to move from Gramps and
>> have singulary failed.
>>
>> My main difficulties being between what I want to be able to type
>> into Gramps, what I wish to see on Screen in Gramps, and what I wish
>> present if generating an external report and/or website.
>>
>> On top of the above issues is calculating ages, sorting in date
>> order, language variations etc thus probably creating a fundamental
>> rewrite of substantial amounts of Gramps code and incompatibilty with
>> externally sourced code.
>>
>> I suspect that are lots more worthy projects than this.
>>
>> I will live reasonably happily with what works currently
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries

>>> See feature request #2849.
>>>
>>> 2849: Use symbols to represent date ranges etc
>>>
>>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2849
>>>

>>> Nick.

Re: Date parsing

Something has changed on the Yahoo mail client. It used to only send 1 to any given recipient, no matter how many times they were on the addressing.

I REALLY wish the maillist put itself as the 'from:' address and then only cc: the sender. Then I could Reply instead of Reply-All

-Brian

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 11:15, Brad Rogers
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:58:18 +0000 (UTC)
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello [hidden email],

There's no need to Cc me;  I'm subbed to the list.  On top of which, two
copies were sent to the list, meaning I received *three* copies of your
message.

Your mailer....

(com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail/5.43.3; Android/9;
PPWS29.69-39-2-4; payton_sprout; motorola; moto x4; 4.89; 1776x1080;)

....is apparently not up to the job.

>You probably want to explore the 'Quality' & 'Type' date modifer
>material on Entering Dates section of the manual.  The preferences
>section also tells how to adjust the number of years for an 'about',
>'before', & 'after' estimation.

I'm aware of all that, but none of it is of any help whatsoever when I
have a _specific_ date.

--
Regards  _
        / )          "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"

It's only the children of the f****** wealthy tend to be good looking
Ugly - The Stranglers

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Date parsing

Oliver Lehmann
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See feature request #2849.
>
> 2849: Use symbols to represent date ranges etc
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2849

Sorry Nick,

this is the opposite way. I'm perfectly fine how dates are displayed.
I want to enhance how dates can be entered. I was thinking more like
this (untested):

old:
     modifier_to_int = {
         'vor'    : Date.MOD_BEFORE,
         'nach'   : Date.MOD_AFTER,
         'gegen'  : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'um'     : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'etwa'   : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'circa'  : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'ca.'  : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         }

new:
     modifier_to_int = {
         '<'      : Date.MOD_BEFORE,
         '>'      : Date.MOD_AFTER,
         'vor'    : Date.MOD_BEFORE,
         'nach'   : Date.MOD_AFTER,
         'gegen'  : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'um'     : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'etwa'   : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'circa'  : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         'ca.'  : Date.MOD_ABOUT,
         }

Nothing big I thought - no can of worms to open - no display changes.
Just another way of how "before" can be entered in a date field. As I
said - how it is displayed is perfect for me. but typing "<" is just a
lot faster than typing "vor" on german keyboards as just 1 keypress is
involved. I had a lot of "before XXXX" dates to enter to death events
based on parents data in marriage record - so the years was in my
operating systems clipboard and i wished i could've just be able to
type < Ctrl+V which would be possible with just my left hand while my
right hand was at the mouse selecting the entries to be edited.... I
see no way how adding this two lines could possible break or damage
something......

Best regards,
Oliver