Date quality: "from" and "between"

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_1#Date_Quality

This doesn't clarify the difference between "from" and "between". One is a
definite time range where you worked, lived, etc, and the other is for when
you aren't sure when a point-in-time event like birth/death/marriage occurred.

However, I keep forgetting which is which.

Thanks.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Date quality: "from" and "between"

Nick Hall
On 13/07/16 16:48, Ron Johnson wrote:
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_1#Date_Quality
>
> This doesn't clarify the difference between "from" and "between". One is a
> definite time range where you worked, lived, etc, and the other is for when
> you aren't sure when a point-in-time event like birth/death/marriage occurred.

Use "before", "after" and "between" to specify a date range during which
an event occurred.  These do not indicate the duration of the event.

Use "from" to specify a date span for an event.  The event duration is
from the start to the end of the date span.

It is not possible to mix these two types in order to specify an
uncertainty in the start or end of a date span.

Re: Date quality: "from" and "between"

TJMcK
I used "between" for a long time before I realized there was a "from" in Gramps.  And "between" in my interpretation is a very broad term -- and maybe it's used improperly in certain situations. EG.  I almost always eat dinner between 6 and 7pm.  This can really mean many different things... am I eating at 6 or 6:15?  But it also may mean both 6 and 6:15...

BUT, Gramps uses these terms in a specific way (not like my sentence above).  I like thinking of these terms by using visual effects:

"between A and B" is used for a specific point in time (I.E. a date).  So, on a timeline showing time/date A to time/date B there is X:
E.G. I was born somewhere between A and B

"from A to B" is used to describe ALL points in a timeline of A to B (all date/time is filled with "the event"):
      AXXXXXXXXXXXXXB
E.G. I resided in Tim-buck-two from A to B

If Gramps was really smart it would tell us which one to use, because most events use one or the other.  I have never used "from" for a birthdate or deathdate.