Dealing with information in Family Bibles

Dealing with information in Family Bibles

Jamieson Cobleigh
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Gramps. I have some birth and death records from family Bibles that I'd like to record in Gramps. What I was thinking of doing was:
  • Scanning the pages in and adding each page as a new media item
  • Add a new Source for the Bible, and add the scanned in pages in the Gallery section
  • Create a new Form type for the information and tag the Source as being that type.
  • Add information to the Form.
Does this seem reasonable? Is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any recommendations/tips on making new Form definitions?

Thanks!

Jamie

Re: Dealing with information in Family Bibles

Ron Johnson
On 01/09/2018 01:14 PM, Jamieson Cobleigh wrote:
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Gramps. I have some birth and death records from family Bibles that I'd like to record in Gramps. What I was thinking of doing was:
  • Scanning the pages in and adding each page as a new media item
  • Add a new Source for the Bible, and add the scanned in pages in the Gallery section
  • Create a new Form type for the information and tag the Source as being that type.
  • Add information to the Form.
Does this seem reasonable? Is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any recommendations/tips on making new Form definitions?

Using a Form seems overkill in this situation.

Anyway... +1 on making that Bible a Source.  I'd almost certainly make each page a citation.  (Events from many people would then share a citation.)  Depending on how much data is on each page, and how neat or messy it is, I might also make a Citation for each section of each page.