Dealing with shortened names

Tony Hacche
I may come across a person in a Census with a first name listed as Liz. In another source the same person may be listed as Elizabeth. How do the wise of this list deal with recording such information in the person dialog? "Nick" or "Call" fields? Use the Name Editor, which I confess that I haven't yet got to grips with.

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Patrick Gerlier
In such a case? I use the name editor to record all variants of identity
I can find in the record. It fits also offical name changes (through
legal request or adoption).

In one of the name alternatives, I'd record Liz as first name and Jones
as family name; in the other one, first name Elizabeth and family name
Jones.

Dont't forget to check one of the alternatives as the preferred name.

Note that the name editor also manages "complex" compound name with
double (or more) names and connectors such as German von Dorf und zu
Stadt: von Dorf will go into one line with "von" as prefix and und zo
Stadt in a second line with "und zu" as prefix. The correct use of
prefixes results in usual sorting were words such as of, de, von,
dictus, alias should not be considered.

The name editor is also handy to record all misspellings made in
official "papers" by officers not acquainted with the name.

Patrick

Le 09/10/2019 à 18:41, Tony Hacche a écrit :
> I may come across a person in a Census with a first name listed as Liz. In another source the same person may be listed as Elizabeth. How do the wise of this list deal with recording such information in the person dialog? "Nick" or "Call" fields? Use the Name Editor, which I confess that I haven't yet got to grips with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Hi Tony

The Call name only "likes" an entry from the given name field. Most
often I will use the Call field if a person goes by a middle name. I
put "likes" in quotations because just because the field will turn
red, you can enter anything you want.

So that leaves the nickname field which I would put "Liz".

FYI: in the Display Name options, there is a "Common" name option. I
explored this setting up a Web Calendar report. The Common name will
use the Nickname first, The Call name second (if these fields exist)
and lastly the first of the Given name entered.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:41 PM Tony Hacche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I may come across a person in a Census with a first name listed as Liz. In another source the same person may be listed as Elizabeth. How do the wise of this list deal with recording such information in the person dialog? "Nick" or "Call" fields? Use the Name Editor, which I confess that I haven't yet got to grips with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Tony Hacche
Patrick,

> In one of the name alternatives, I'd record Liz as first name and
> Jones as family name; in the other one, first name Elizabeth and
> family name Jones.
>
> Dont't forget to check one of the alternatives as the preferred
> name.

OK, I think I follow. Take my name as an example. My birth certificate says Antony Graham Hacche but I am more commonly known as Tony Hacche. The names tab in the person dialogue looks like this ...

Name Type
Preferred name
        Hacche, Tony Also known as
Alternative names - 1
        Hacche, Antony Graham Birth name

Another question - if you were recording a misspelling, what "type" would you use?

Thanks again,

Le 09/10/2019 à 20:38, Tony Hacche a écrit :

> Patrick,
>
>> In one of the name alternatives, I'd record Liz as first name and
>> Jones as family name; in the other one, first name Elizabeth and
>> family name Jones.
>>
>> Dont't forget to check one of the alternatives as the preferred
>> name.
> OK, I think I follow. Take my name as an example. My birth certificate says Antony Graham Hacche but I am more commonly known as Tony Hacche. The names tab in the person dialogue looks like this ...
>
> Name Type
> Preferred name
> Hacche, Tony Also known as
> Alternative names - 1
> Hacche, Antony Graham Birth name
>
> Another question - if you were recording a misspelling, what "type" would you use?

Presently the built-in type offers only "technical" names: birth,
marital, unknown, aka., I set it blank, leaving the work of thinking
about it for later. I only added "legitimation" for the case of a child
born out of marriage (hence recorded under the mother's name as type
"birth") and later "legitimated" by the marriage of his/her parents
including an official statement in the record, thus resulting in a
change of family name.

When the misspelling is in the birth record (which is frequent in the
XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries due to the oral society and sometimes the
non local origin of the priests, I record it as the birth name. I add
alternate names (with temporarily blank type) whenever I find a
difference in the records for the same person (marriage, children birth,
death, children marriages, baptism where they are godparents, …).

Some times the difference lies in the nicknames used to dismiss
ambiguity between family branches (in alatin dictus xxx or alias yyy)
and, in this case, the name editor comes in handy with its multi-line
feature, the prefix being dictus (or equivalent in the local language).

Patrick

> Thanks again,
>
> Tony

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Tony Hacche
Dave,

> The Call name only "likes" an entry from the given name field.
> Most often I will use the Call field if a person goes by a middle
> name. I put "likes" in quotations because just because the field
> will turn red, you can enter anything you want.

OK, so that's out for my example.

> So that leaves the nickname field which I would put "Liz".

I guess that's another alternative to the one suggested by Patrick where he uses the name editor to list alternative names.

> FYI: in the Display Name options, there is a "Common" name option.
> I explored this setting up a Web Calendar report. The Common name
> will use the Nickname first, The Call name second (if these fields
> exist) and lastly the first of the Given name entered.

Thanks, useful information.

Tony

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Patrick Gerlier
I forgot to mention that in my use of the name editor to record name
variants, I always note the reference to an event mentioning the name.

Thus when sorting the events chronologically, I was able to determine
when a person intentionally changed its first name when cited in
official papers. Up to a certain year, she was known and referred to by
her birth name, but after that another first name is used, though this
is indeed the same person (same husband, same children). She probably
was displeased with her only single first name and required from her
neighborhood to be call by another name.

This is interesting information which can be extracted from usage of the
name editor.

Patrick

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Tony Hacche
Patrick,

> I forgot to mention that in my use of the name editor to record
> name variants, I always note the reference to an event mentioning
> the name.

Where in the name editor do you note the reference of the event? In the "note" tab presumably?

Le 10/10/2019 à 10:33, Tony Hacche a écrit :
> Patrick,
>
>> I forgot to mention that in my use of the name editor to record
>> name variants, I always note the reference to an event mentioning
>> the name.
> Where in the name editor do you note the reference of the event? In the "note" tab presumably?

You have three tabs at the bottom of the editor: General, Citations (or
equivalent, my UI is not English) and Notes

I drag and drop into "Citations" the relevant "citation" from the event.
Thus the name and the event share the same reference to the source. Also
the name variant is linked to a document and I can easily access it tio
check details.

Patrick

Re: Dealing with shortened names

Tony Hacche
Patrick,

> I drag and drop into "Citations" the relevant "citation" from the
> event. Thus the name and the event share the same reference to the
> source. Also the name variant is linked to a document and I can
> easily access it tio check details.

Makes sense and that's what I have been doing. If the name variation and event are learned from a particular document then it makes complete sense to cite that document for both the event and the name variation.

Tony