Death Certificate Form - Coroners Inquest Details

Death Certificate Form - Coroners Inquest Details

Keith Jacobs
How can I modify the UK Death Certificate Form definition so that I can
enter the details of the Coroner and the findings of his inquest into
the Death Certificate form without creating a person entry within Gramps?

I'm thinking of text entry fields, below the Informant fields, to enter
Details of the Coroners Name, His/Her Title or the area covered, etc.
The heading for this section of the form would be "Informant in the
event of an Inquest"

--
Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Death Certificate Form - Coroners Inquest Details

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Just an observation but... if this is to be of actual use for something, it seems reasonable that you would WANT a Person created for each of those Coroners. It wouldn't be acceptable as a 'system of record' but would make fine 'convenience system'. Otherwise, you'll run into hassles with data harmonization of contact info for those pesky inquests.

i.e.: Was it the J. Smith, M.E. active in the county in the 60s or one of the the MDs named J.Smith who might signed the death certificate when an autopsy wasn't required/permitted?

Also, you can search for Persons in that Role and Merge name shorthand variations (John, Jack, J., Jno.) into a single person. Then find all the death certificates where that person is a Reference ID.

(The non-primary name is preserved as an alternate name. And those are still searchable.)

Finally, with a single profile, you can store their years active in that occupation, certifications, cross-reference ID for the system of record... even the phone number used over various years.

On the other hand, if it's just for curiosity sake, you could just enter it as a free-form text block. Every county, municipality, healthcare operation has their own forms with different labels. You could drive yourself crazy trying to harmonize it all.

-Brian

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 14:42, Keith Jacobs
How can I modify the UK Death Certificate Form definition so that I can
enter the details of the Coroner and the findings of his inquest into
the Death Certificate form without creating a person entry within Gramps?

I'm thinking of text entry fields, below the Informant fields, to enter
Details of the Coroners Name, His/Her Title or the area covered, etc.
The heading for this section of the form would be "Informant in the
event of an Inquest"

--
Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Death Certificate Form - Coroners Inquest Details

Keith Jacobs

Well this is the only iteration of this very well known coroner I have come across in my research but also having personally attended the inquest. It just seems pointless to create a person entry in the database for an otherwise disconnected individual. Although it would permit the entry of his position, title, etc in the description field.

I'll have to think about it.

Regards
Keith Jacobs
On 01/10/2019 21:28, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

I do not use the Form addon.  But to give an example, I use the event
Attribute "Officiant" for marriages and baptisms. You can create a
"Coroner" attribute. If you put the attribute on the Death event, you
can put more details in the attribute's note field. The alternative is
to create a custom event to deal with the inquest/autopsy. I would put
the attribute for the coroner and put the notes in the event's notes.

Since you say you attended the inquest, the separate event seems the
way to go and this would take the entry outside the Form applet.

As always, this is only a suggestion. Dave

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:40 PM Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can I modify the UK Death Certificate Form definition so that I can
> enter the details of the Coroner and the findings of his inquest into
> the Death Certificate form without creating a person entry within Gramps?
>
> I'm thinking of text entry fields, below the Informant fields, to enter
> Details of the Coroners Name, His/Her Title or the area covered, etc.
> The heading for this section of the form would be "Informant in the
> event of an Inquest"
>
> --
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Re: Death Certificate Form - Coroners Inquest Details

Keith Jacobs
Dave

Thanks I am aware of that but it is not the way I want to go.

I like the form grampet and have used it extensively.

Regards
Keith Jacobs

On 01/10/2019 22:47, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> I do not use the Form addon.  But to give an example, I use the event
> Attribute "Officiant" for marriages and baptisms. You can create a
> "Coroner" attribute. If you put the attribute on the Death event, you
> can put more details in the attribute's note field. The alternative is
> to create a custom event to deal with the inquest/autopsy. I would put
> the attribute for the coroner and put the notes in the event's notes.
>
> Since you say you attended the inquest, the separate event seems the
> way to go and this would take the entry outside the Form applet.
>
> As always, this is only a suggestion. Dave
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:40 PM Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How can I modify the UK Death Certificate Form definition so that I can
>> enter the details of the Coroner and the findings of his inquest into
>> the Death Certificate form without creating a person entry within Gramps?
>>
>> I'm thinking of text entry fields, below the Informant fields, to enter
>> Details of the Coroners Name, His/Her Title or the area covered, etc.
>> The heading for this section of the form would be "Informant in the
>> event of an Inquest"
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Keith Jacobs

Re: Death Certificate Form - Coroners Inquest Details

Nick Hall
On 01/10/2019 22:54, Keith Jacobs wrote:
> Thanks I am aware of that but it is not the way I want to go.
>
> I like the form grampet and have used it extensively.

There is no reason why you shouldn't create an Inquest event for the
form addon.