Death at sea and linking to location

Tony Hacche
I have tried searching the archive to answers to my particular question but without success. I acknowledge that I may not have used the correct search criteria ;-)

I have a person in my tree that died at sea following the sinking of their vessel by a U-boat. I know the name of the vessel and the approximate location (lat/long) of the sinking.

I am trying to decide how best to tie the death event to a place. At the moment I have the place set to the name of the vessel with the lat/long set to the approximate location of the sinking. "Enclosed by" is not set to anything so there is no location hierarchy for this place. It works but feels messy and I can't help thinking there may be a better way of going about it.

I accept that this is one of those instances were there is no right/wrong way of recording the event and location, but I am interested in opinions on how others have gone about recording such an event.

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Death at sea and linking to location

GRAMPS - User mailing list
There are a number of discussions returned for the search term "at sea":

Personally, I chose to add a Place container of "At Sea" (for neatness) and added oceans (with GPS centroids to support mapping markers) underneath at need. I could have as easily used "International Waters" instead of "At Sea" but the way my choice prints in reports is nice.

So far, I've had births, christenings, marriages & deaths logged for the Atlantic & Pacific oceans; Lake Erie; the Carribean & Mediterranean Seas.

For sinkings with known locations, I've added a building named for the vessel: "Shipwreck of the freighter Edmund Fitzgerald", "U-boat torpedoed motor merchant Bitang" under the body of water.

The 7 seas, 5 oceans
https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-7733,00.html

My 2¢
-Brian

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 2:26, Tony Hacche
[...]

Doug-11
What I've done is similar to Emyoulation:
The Place is "At sea", "80 miles out at sea", enclosed by the nearby landmass ("Isle of May", "Sulawesi Tengah"). If I had had a death well away from any particular landmass I would have used oceans for enclosure. I didn't know the vessel names,

my 1 cent

Doug

On 02/10/2019 09:54, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

I like the idea of the sinking location under the ocean hierarchy.
This gives the approximate GPS location other than "North Atlantic
Ocean". Now it would be  "U-boat torpedoed motor merchant Bitang,
North Atlantic Ocean"

I too group all the oceans under the one "Oceans" but I put the
enclosed by date as "1/1/1". So unless the ship sank on "1/1/1" the
hierarchy "Oceans" never prints.

Dave

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 4:54 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are a number of discussions returned for the search term "at sea":
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/search/?q=At+sea
>
> Personally, I chose to add a Place container of "At Sea" (for neatness) and added oceans (with GPS centroids to support mapping markers) underneath at need. I could have as easily used "International Waters" instead of "At Sea" but the way my choice prints in reports is nice.
>
> So far, I've had births, christenings, marriages & deaths logged for the Atlantic & Pacific oceans; Lake Erie; the Carribean & Mediterranean Seas.
>
> For sinkings with known locations, I've added a building named for the vessel: "Shipwreck of the freighter Edmund Fitzgerald", "U-boat torpedoed motor merchant Bitang" under the body of water.
>
> The 7 seas, 5 oceans
> https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-7733,00.html
>
> My 2¢
> -Brian
>
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 2:26, Tony Hacche
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have tried searching the archive to answers to my particular question but without success. I acknowledge that I may not have used the correct search criteria ;-)
>
> I have a person in my tree that died at sea following the sinking of their vessel by a U-boat. I know the name of the vessel and the approximate location (lat/long) of the sinking.
>
> I am trying to decide how best to tie the death event to a place. At the moment I have the place set to the name of the vessel with the lat/long set to the approximate location of the sinking. "Enclosed by" is not set to anything so there is no location hierarchy for this place. It works but feels messy and I can't help thinking there may be a better way of going about it.
>
> I accept that this is one of those instances were there is no right/wrong way of recording the event and location, but I am interested in opinions on how others have gone about recording such an event.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Re: Death at sea and linking to location

Tony Hacche
Brian,

> There are a number of discussions returned for the search term "at
> sea":

Yep, I think that was one of the variations I tried but none of the threads seemed to answer my specific question.

> Personally, I chose to add a Place container of "At Sea" (for
> neatness) and added oceans (with GPS centroids to support mapping
> markers) underneath at need. I could have as easily used
> "International Waters" instead of "At Sea" but the way my choice
> prints in reports is nice.
>
> So far, I've had births, christenings, marriages & deaths logged
> for the Atlantic & Pacific oceans; Lake Erie; the Carribean &
> Mediterranean Seas.

I only have one event at sea so far that I currently know of.

OK, I can see how that would work, but would still need to tie in the sinking of the ship ...

> For sinkings with known locations, I've added a building named for
> the vessel: "Shipwreck of the freighter Edmund Fitzgerald", "U-
> boat torpedoed motor merchant Bitang" under the body of water.

... which you do here and, again, this all make perfect sense.

Many thanks,

Tony

Re: Death at sea and linking to location

Tony Hacche
Dave,

> I like the idea of the sinking location under the ocean hierarchy.
> This gives the approximate GPS location other than "North Atlantic
> Ocean". Now it would be  "U-boat torpedoed motor merchant Bitang,
> North Atlantic Ocean"

I agree, a nice, neat solution.

> I too group all the oceans under the one "Oceans" but I put the
> enclosed by date as "1/1/1". So unless the ship sank on "1/1/1"
> the hierarchy "Oceans" never prints.

I haven't yet explored dates in places ;-)

Tony

Re: Death at sea and linking to location

Tony Hacche
Doug,

> The Place is "At sea", "80 miles out at sea", enclosed by the
> nearby landmass ("Isle of May", "Sulawesi Tengah"). If I had had a
> death well away from any particular landmass I would have used
> oceans for enclosure. I didn't know the vessel names,

Thanks. The event I have seems to have taken place almost midway between the continents of South America and Africa. I will probably go with the ocean name as the container.

Tony