Death dates for living people in reports

Death dates for living people in reports

derHeinzi
Hi devs,

in ancestral, detailed ancestral and detailed descendant report there always is an death entry, even for living people i.e. people without death event. It is (not only imho but also in the opinion of some people I gave these reports to) "not nice to be remembered of the own mortality" as one of them put it. :)

Fixing this inconvenience would be very simple:
In plugins/lib file libnarrate.py,
function get_died_string (which is fwiw only used in the above mentioned reports)
add an
else:
   return text
to the
if death_ref and death_ref.ref:
Thats all. No more disturbing death date and place entries for living people.
Do I have to create a feature request for this, or could one of you fix this "on the fly"?
Are there reasons to keep the death events for living people?

TIA
Heinz

Re: Death dates for living people in reports

Benny Malengier

2013/4/4 derHeinzi <[hidden email]>
[...]

As I can't read in your mail the solution, please to a bug ticket on the tracker, and post here.
A reason for death event in the detailed indiv report was to be able to fill in missing information easily while doing research, to then take it in the report.
But if not mistaken, there is an option, use underline for missing events or something likt that, that shows a line where you can fill in missing information.

I would suppose that if no specific indication of 'show line' is given, that printing nothing is nicer.
A death event without date would have to show though.

Benny

TIA
Heinz

Re: Death dates for living people in reports

Paul Franklin-5
On 4/3/13, derHeinzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> in ancestral, detailed ancestral and detailed descendant report there
> always
> is an death entry, even for living people i.e. people without death event.

I cannot duplicate this.

When I run the (text) ancestor report (which has no configuration options)
or the (text) detailed ancestor report, using the latest version of gramps34,
with the "data.gramps" family tree (shipped with every gramps, in the
example/gramps directory), and starting the reports on the youngest person
(Amber Marie Smith), neither her parents or grandparents have any mention
of "death" or "dead" or "died" in the reports.

If you really are getting this behavior I suggest you file
a bug report, with lots of details, for instance your gramps
version and exactly what you did to get your results.  You
may want to upload a "plain text" version of your output.

Thanks.

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 20:59:21 +0200, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cannot duplicate this.

OK, Benny and Paul,

please ignore my request for the time being. I'm still on Gramps 3.2.5-1.
I will do an update of Gramps in the next weeks and come back if the "problem" still exists.
Thank you and excuse the noise,
Heinz