Debian 7 (Wheezy)

Brian Grawburg
Anyone have any idea when a version =>4 might become available for Debian 7?
Presuming something comes within the next 6 months or so, what should be ready to do with my 3.4 database? Am I correct that it is not compatible with newer versions?

Another question: Is there any way to create just a list of all names within my database - and one that would include the current ID #?

Thanks,
Brian Grawburg
Wislon, NC

--
[This was sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux. No Microsoft products were used.]

Re: Debian 7 (Wheezy)

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 15:57:02 -0400
Grawburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Grawburg,

>Anyone have any idea when a version =>4 might become available for
>Debian 7?

It won't.  Wheezy is old-stable.  Old-stable gets only get security
updates.

See; https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable for more info.

--
 Regards  _
Success defined by acquisition stinks

Re: Debian 7 (Wheezy)

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 17:07:12 -0400
Grawburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Grawburg,

Putting this back on the ML where it can be seen by (dis)interested
parties.

>So, until/unless I upgrade to Jessie I'm out of luck?

You could download source and compile/install yourself.  That might lead
you into dependency problems, though.

At this point, I should say I'm not on the dev team, just an interested
reader of the list.

>Are you aware of any great things I may be missing by using the

There have been some major changes between versions 3 & 4.  From v4.1.1
(IIRC) the Place structure has changed entirely.  It's now hierarchical,
rather than the flat model it has in the version you're using.  Some
users don't like it.  There are plenty of other changes, too.  Far
too many to enumerate here.  There's also the inevitable swathe of
bug-fixes, of course.

>old-stable version?  If my current GRAMPS does what I want is there any

For a full list of what's changed, been fixed and/or added, you'll have
to read the version update information.  The latest page is at;
<https://gramps-project.org/2016/09/gramps-4-2-4-released/> but has links
to archive versions of the page where you can view changes for previous
releases.

>compelling reason to upgrade?

Depends:  If you're interested only in Gramps, it's up to you - "You pays
your money and makes your choice".  OTOH, Debian is approaching freeze,
so support for Wheezy will go away over time. This might be a good time
to update to stable.  Which, of course, will become old-stable when
Stretch is released.

--
 Regards  _
If you ain't sticking your knives in me, you will be eventually