Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

I've added places with the GetGOV Gramplate because I like the hirarchical
structure.
I wanted to create a Decendant Tree report, but how do I put in the places
for the events but only the first part?

Right now I've used for example $B for the place of birth as described in:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_2

I've tried all Format Strings documented there, but the "city part"
is not recognized as "city" - probably because GetGOV creates own types
of place-types?

Right now I have:

   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Damshagen, Nordwestmecklenburg,
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Deutschland

Anyway, it should have been

   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Grevesmühlen, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Deutscher Bund

at that time but what I really want is:

   * 1681-08-00 Welzin

Is  there a way how to achive that? I guess regular expressions can not be
applied to filter for example everything after the first comma?

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Dave Scheipers
Hi Oliver,

In the Preferences > Places tab, there is an option to Restrict. The
default is the full Place Name. The other two options are

-> Hamlet/Village/Town/City   displays all smaller locals up to and
including the entry with one of these four place Types

or

Hamlet/Village/Town/City ->   displays the place hierarchy ignoring
locations smaller than one of the four Types.

This function will not work without one of the place Types so the
custom place types used by GetGOV will need to be changed to one of
these four.

Dave

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've added places with the GetGOV Gramplate because I like the hirarchical
> structure.
> I wanted to create a Decendant Tree report, but how do I put in the places
> for the events but only the first part?
>
> Right now I've used for example $B for the place of birth as described in:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_2
>
> I've tried all Format Strings documented there, but the "city part"
> is not recognized as "city" - probably because GetGOV creates own types
> of place-types?
>
> Right now I have:
>
>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Damshagen, Nordwestmecklenburg,
> Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Deutschland
>
> Anyway, it should have been
>
>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Grevesmühlen, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Deutscher Bund
>
> at that time but what I really want is:
>
>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin
>
> Is  there a way how to achive that? I guess regular expressions can not be
> applied to filter for example everything after the first comma?
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave,

this would change it how places are displayed gramps-wide I guess?
Since i like the full place name in the GUI, but not in the reports
it's not really an option for me.

But thanks anyway for your answer!

Best Regards,
Oliver

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> In the Preferences > Places tab, there is an option to Restrict. The
> default is the full Place Name. The other two options are
>
> -> Hamlet/Village/Town/City   displays all smaller locals up to and
> including the entry with one of these four place Types
>
> or
>
> Hamlet/Village/Town/City ->   displays the place hierarchy ignoring
> locations smaller than one of the four Types.
>
> This function will not work without one of the place Types so the
> custom place types used by GetGOV will need to be changed to one of
> these four.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've added places with the GetGOV Gramplate because I like the hirarchical
>> structure.
>> I wanted to create a Decendant Tree report, but how do I put in the places
>> for the events but only the first part?
>>
>> Right now I've used for example $B for the place of birth as described in:
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_2
>>
>> I've tried all Format Strings documented there, but the "city part"
>> is not recognized as "city" - probably because GetGOV creates own types
>> of place-types?
>>
>> Right now I have:
>>
>>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Damshagen, Nordwestmecklenburg,
>> Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Deutschland
>>
>> Anyway, it should have been
>>
>>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Grevesmühlen, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Deutscher Bund
>>
>> at that time but what I really want is:
>>
>>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin
>>
>> Is  there a way how to achive that? I guess regular expressions can not be
>> applied to filter for example everything after the first comma?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver

Re: Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Dave Scheipers
Yes, the changes occur globally. But if you are running a report, make
the change and then remember to set it back.

Most reports allow altering how names are displayed different than how
it is set in Preferences. You could submit a Feature Request to have
the same functionality for Places within reports or at least the
reports you want that option.

Dave

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> this would change it how places are displayed gramps-wide I guess?
> Since i like the full place name in the GUI, but not in the reports
> it's not really an option for me.
>
> But thanks anyway for your answer!
>
> Best Regards,
> Oliver
>

> Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>> In the Preferences > Places tab, there is an option to Restrict. The
>> default is the full Place Name. The other two options are
>>
>> -> Hamlet/Village/Town/City   displays all smaller locals up to and
>> including the entry with one of these four place Types
>>
>> or
>>
>> Hamlet/Village/Town/City ->   displays the place hierarchy ignoring
>> locations smaller than one of the four Types.
>>
>> This function will not work without one of the place Types so the
>> custom place types used by GetGOV will need to be changed to one of
>> these four.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've added places with the GetGOV Gramplate because I like the
>>> hirarchical
>>> structure.
>>> I wanted to create a Decendant Tree report, but how do I put in the
>>> places
>>> for the events but only the first part?
>>>
>>> Right now I've used for example $B for the place of birth as described
>>> in:
>>>

>>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_2
>>>
>>> I've tried all Format Strings documented there, but the "city part"
>>> is not recognized as "city" - probably because GetGOV creates own types
>>> of place-types?
>>>
>>> Right now I have:
>>>
>>>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Damshagen, Nordwestmecklenburg,
>>> Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Deutschland
>>>
>>> Anyway, it should have been
>>>
>>>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin, Grevesmühlen, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Deutscher Bund
>>>
>>> at that time but what I really want is:
>>>
>>>   * 1681-08-00 Welzin
>>>
>>> Is  there a way how to achive that? I guess regular expressions can not
>>> be
>>> applied to filter for example everything after the first comma?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Oliver

Re: Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Nick Hall
On 11/02/18 14:03, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Most reports allow altering how names are displayed different than how
> it is set in Preferences. You could submit a Feature Request to have
> the same functionality for Places within reports or at least the
> reports you want that option.

No need for a feature request.  It has already been requested and I have
coded a solution.  See:

PR #368 - Implement place formats

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/368

The reason I didn't merge the change was that I thought that the
mechanism for selecting place level was too complex for most users.
Perhaps I should reconsider, or get some user feedback?

I'm just in the process of looking at this again.

On 11/02/18 08:29, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> I've tried all Format Strings documented there, but the "city part"
> is not recognized as "city" - probably because GetGOV creates own types
> of place-types?

The GOV database has 264 place types - Gramps has only 20 built-in
types.  See:

http://gov.genealogy.net/type/list

As a consequence most place types imported from the GOV database will be
created as custom types.  This prevents Gramps from knowing which
represent populated places.

We could consider defining all the GOV types, but hide them from most users.

Re: Decendant Tree Report - only print the "short name" of a place

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Nick,

at least from the description of the Pull-Request it looks like this
would solve my issue :) Otherwise it is nearly impossible to print
places in a graphical report when you use hierarchical places imho.

Best regards,
Oliver

On 13/02/18 13:58, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> at least from the description of the Pull-Request it looks like this
> would solve my issue :) Otherwise it is nearly impossible to print
> places in a graphical report when you use hierarchical places imho.

I merged the pull request, so it will be available in 5.0.0-beta1.