Decent family tree graphic

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

I want to migrate from Ahnenblatt to Gramps. I already played
around a bit with Gramps and it looks very promising.

I've around 3k persons in my tree which is 15 generations deep.
In the past I used special person portraits (red questionmarks)
to mark open ends where more research should be possible in a
generated family tree picture.

I often generate that family tree as PDF which shows all
portraits beside the name and other dates. I'm able to see
at a glance where I could continue research because of those
questionmark-portraits.

With gramps I tried several possibilities, but I've not found
yet a way how to generate a family tree with all generations
where
a) everything is "in place" and not out of alignment and
b) the portraits are shown together with all the facts like
    profession, day and place of birth, day and place of death
    and day and place of marriage.

An old example of what I mean (only a part of my tree is shown):

http://img4host.net/upload/1819343058f64e26b94a5.jpg

Is something like that possible with Gramps? Does a plugin exist
which comes as close as possible to that?

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Decent family tree graphic

Ron Johnson
On 02/06/2018 08:10 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to migrate from Ahnenblatt to Gramps. I already played
> around a bit with Gramps and it looks very promising.
>
> I've around 3k persons in my tree which is 15 generations deep.
> In the past I used special person portraits (red questionmarks)
> to mark open ends where more research should be possible in a
> generated family tree picture.
>
> I often generate that family tree as PDF which shows all
> portraits beside the name and other dates. I'm able to see
> at a glance where I could continue research because of those
> questionmark-portraits.
>
> With gramps I tried several possibilities, but I've not found
> yet a way how to generate a family tree with all generations
> where
> a) everything is "in place" and not out of alignment and
> b) the portraits are shown together with all the facts like
>    profession, day and place of birth, day and place of death
>    and day and place of marriage.
>
> An old example of what I mean (only a part of my tree is shown):
>
> http://img4host.net/upload/1819343058f64e26b94a5.jpg
>
> Is something like that possible with Gramps? Does a plugin exist
> which comes as close as possible to that?

The "engine" which Gramps uses for graphing wasn't designed for printing
ordered genealogy reports.  It's one of Gramps' weaknesses.

On 06/02/18 14:10, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Is something like that possible with Gramps? Does a plugin exist
> which comes as close as possible to that?

The new LaTeX genealogytree reports may do what you want, but they are
still early in development.

Re: Decent family tree graphic

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier
On 2/6/18 06:10, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> With gramps I tried several possibilities, but I've not found
> yet a way how to generate a family tree with all generations
> where
> a) everything is "in place" and not out of alignment and
> b) the portraits are shown together with all the facts like
>    profession, day and place of birth, day and place of death
>    and day and place of marriage.
>
> An old example of what I mean (only a part of my tree is shown):
>
> http://img4host.net/upload/1819343058f64e26b94a5.jpg

Have you tried the DescendantLines plugin?

It generates a tree of all descendants, their spouses, can have
professions and all life facts (all events, actually) and includes
pictures if the right options are chosen.

Agnes

Re: Decent family tree graphic

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Agnes,

> Have you tried the DescendantLines plugin?
>
> It generates a tree of all descendants, their spouses, can have
> professions and all life facts (all events, actually) and includes
> pictures if the right options are chosen.

Not bad! - The fixed sized boxes would make it look even better imho.
Ancestors instead of decendants would nearly make it a perfect match ;)

On 2/7/18 10:49, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

>> Have you tried the DescendantLines plugin?
>>
>> It generates a tree of all descendants, their spouses, can have
>> professions and all life facts (all events, actually) and includes
>> pictures if the right options are chosen.
>>

> Not bad! - The fixed sized boxes would make it look even better imho.
Fixed sized boxes are hard to combine with the flexible
content/formatting options for the text, but I have found that if you
manage to pick the right display options (including removing the options
to not display lines if the info is not available) and you have fairly
regular data (ie. you have pictures + most of the info for most of the
people displayed), the output looks pretty good.

> Ancestors instead of decendants would nearly make it a perfect match ;)
Better yet, ascendant, descendant and hourglass...
  (I love hourglass charts, and there is a sad dearth of options in
Gramps for them)

Agnes