Default database backend

Nick Hall
Devs,

I have now implemented locking for all backends, moved the postgresql
backend into third-party addons and enabled the sqlite backend for all
users.

Should we now make sqlite the default?

Re: Default database backend

prculley
I was under the impression that switching from bsddb was to be left for 5.1.

If we decide to make sqlite the default, I think it would be a good idea to make sure that all the Travis tests will now be run under the default db type.  I think I remember that there was an issue with some of the tests inheriting the backend from previous tests, and as a result, the db type got hardcoded to bsddb.  I don't have time this week to check this myself.  I'm also pretty sure I saw some tests in the bsddb area that were not duplicated in the sqlite area...

I cannot speak for postgresql, but I do think that the general dbapi seems pretty robust at this time.  But it certainly doesn't get the same level of testing in my usage as bsddb.

Paul C.