Default viewers

Peter Flynn
When I create a chart or list within Gramps it saves as PDF but provides
the option also to open it. It then picks the wrong application: it
tries to open PDFs in GIMP instead of the default OS setting (Xviewer).

Does anyone know why it does this and how to stop it? No other
application makes this error.

Re: Default viewers

prculley
I'm not sure how technical you are, but since you are using one of the Linux varients (inferred)...
Gramps uses 'xdg-open' passing it the pathname of the file to open.  From what I can find, xdg-open passes the file path to a desktop application which attempts to infer the file type from its extension (in your case, 'pdf').  Beyond that I cannot explain your issue.

Paul C.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 7:41 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I create a chart or list within Gramps it saves as PDF but provides
the option also to open it. It then picks the wrong application: it
tries to open PDFs in GIMP instead of the default OS setting (Xviewer).

Does anyone know why it does this and how to stop it? No other
application makes this error.

Re: Default viewers

Rich Lakey
All Linux is a bit different. But on my Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon I open
file manager, Nemo, find a PDF file, right click, properties,  select
open with tab, and it shows Document Viewer as the default application
to open PDF files. If it shows GIMP, you can change the default to
Xviewer or whatever you prefer.

Rich

On 11/2/18 7:39 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:

> When I create a chart or list within Gramps it saves as PDF but provides
> the option also to open it. It then picks the wrong application: it
> tries to open PDFs in GIMP instead of the default OS setting (Xviewer).
>
> Does anyone know why it does this and how to stop it? No other
> application makes this error.

Re: Default viewers

What distro still uses Xviewer instead of evince?

On 11/02/2018 07:39 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> When I create a chart or list within Gramps it saves as PDF but provides
> the option also to open it. It then picks the wrong application: it
> tries to open PDFs in GIMP instead of the default OS setting (Xviewer).
>
> Does anyone know why it does this and how to stop it? No other
> application makes this error.

Re: Default viewers

Rich Lakey
Sent this earlier but never showed up>

On 02/11/2018 13:30, Paul Culley wrote:
> I'm not sure how technical you are,

Reasonably.

> but since you are using one of the Linux varients (inferred)...

Enlightenment under Mint 18

> Gramps uses 'xdg-open' passing it the pathname of the file to open.

I thought it might be. xdg-open is a PITA.

> From what I can find, xdg-open passes the file path to a desktop
> application which attempts to infer the file type from its extension (in
> your case, 'pdf').  Beyond that I cannot explain your issue.

xdg-open does at least nowadays pick up the string 'Enlightenment' from
the $DESKTOP variable, and it then runs enlightenment_open, but this is
a compiled binary, so I will check with the E people.

The problem is deeper, though, because every other application correctly
opens PDFs with Xviewer. Only Gramps tries to open them with GIMP.

///Peter

Re: Default viewers

Peter Merchant
On 02/11/2018 13:45, Rich Lakey wrote:
> All Linux is a bit different. But on my Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon I open file manager, Nemo, find a PDF file, right click, properties,  select open with tab, and it shows Document Viewer as the default application to open PDF files. If it shows GIMP, you can change the default to Xviewer or whatever you prefer.
>
> Rich

On Kubuntu linux, exactly the same from Dolphin, but I believe there is a button(?) to say always open with this. In Kubuntu, Okular is the (my?) default for PDFs

Peter M.

Re: Default viewers

Peter Flynn
On 02/11/2018 14:15, Ron Johnson wrote:

> What distro still uses Xviewer instead of evince?

Mint 18. I thought it was the other way around, though. It used to be
called evince but now it shows up as "Document Viewer".

///Peter

Re: Default viewers

Peter Flynn
On 02/11/2018 19:21, Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 02/11/2018 13:45, Rich Lakey wrote:
>> All Linux is a bit different. But on my Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon I
>> open file manager, Nemo, find a PDF file, right click, properties,
>> select open with tab, and it shows Document Viewer as the default
>> application to open PDF files. If it shows GIMP, you can change
>> the default to Xviewer or whatever you prefer.
>
> On Kubuntu linux, exactly the same from Dolphin, but I believe there
> is a button(?) to say always open with this. In Kubuntu, Okular is
> the (my?) default for PDFs

File browswers *ought* to provide this but some don't. Moot in my case
anyway, as they wouldn't know where to configure something that
Enlightenment has its own way of doing.

Re: Default viewers

Charles T. Bell
In Linux, usually the file in question has a properties tab and if you
left click on the file it will open up the properties window.  There you
will find all the places that determine which program sees the file in
question first.
Good luck!

Charles Bell

On 11/2/18 3:52 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 02/11/2018 19:21, Peter Merchant wrote:
>> On 02/11/2018 13:45, Rich Lakey wrote:
>>> All Linux is a bit different. But on my Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon I
>>> open file manager, Nemo, find a PDF file, right click, properties,
>>> select open with tab, and it shows Document Viewer as the default
>>> application to open PDF files. If it shows GIMP, you can change
>>> the default to Xviewer or whatever you prefer.
>>
>> On Kubuntu linux, exactly the same from Dolphin, but I believe there
>> is a button(?) to say always open with this. In Kubuntu, Okular is
>> the (my?) default for PDFs
>
> File browswers *ought* to provide this but some don't. Moot in my case
> anyway, as they wouldn't know where to configure something that
> Enlightenment has its own way of doing.

The thing about quotes on the internet is you
cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

Re: Default viewers

On 11/02/2018 02:24 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 02/11/2018 14:15, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> What distro still uses Xviewer instead of evince?
> Mint 18. I thought it was the other way around, though. It used to be
> called evince but now it shows up as "Document Viewer".

"Document Viewer" is the Let's Confuse Everyone In The Name Of Simplicity
name of evince...

Re: Default viewers

Charles T. Bell

In Linux, usually the file in question has a properties tab and if you
*right* click on the file it will open up the properties window.  There
you will find all the places that determine which program sees the file
in question first.
 Good luck!

 Charles Bell

> On 11/2/18 3:52 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
>>>
>>> On Kubuntu linux, exactly the same from Dolphin, but I believe there
>>> is a button(?) to say always open with this. In Kubuntu, Okular is
>>> the (my?) default for PDFs
>>
>> File browswers *ought* to provide this but some don't. Moot in my case
>> anyway, as they wouldn't know where to configure something that
>> Enlightenment has its own way of doing.

The thing about quotes on the internet is you
cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

Default viewers [SOLVED]

Peter Flynn
On 03/11/2018 02:52, Charles T. Bell wrote:

> In Linux, usually the file in question has a properties tab and if
> you *right* click on the file it will open up the properties window.
> There you will find all the places that determine which program sees
> the file in question first.

I'm afraid this has wandered far off-topic. There was never any question
about how to find what application the system uses when accessing the
file through a directory browser. But in any case, not all directory
browsers do this.

The error turned out to be in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

In that file, application/pdf (and application/postscript) is bound to a
list of .desktop files as you would expect:

  qpdfview.desktop
  evince-previewer.desktop
  evince.desktop
  kde4-okularApplication_pdf.desktop
  xreader.desktop
  texworks.desktop
  gimp.desktop

doubtless as a result of the installation of a large amount of software
over the years. Many applications make a land-grab for their pet MIME
media-type and happily stomp on the associations that a user prefers.

The bug seems to be that *something* is intervening when Gramps calls
xdg-open on a generated PDF, and pushes it to running the LAST-named
application (GIMP) instead of the first-named one (qPDFview).

The solution is just to edit the file and get rid of the unwanted
association from the two lines for those MIME media types.

///Peter

For the record, I got the information with the command (with thanks to
Jérémy Zurcher on the enlightenment-users mailing list):

XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL=2 xdg-mime query default 'bad/wrong' 2>&1 |\
  sed -e "s+Checking+grep -iH pdf+" -e "s+ and + +"| bash | grep -i gimp

and the lines it found were:

/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache:application/pdf=qpdfview.desktop;evince-previewer.desktop;evince.desktop;kde4-okularApplication_pdf.desktop;xreader.desktop;texworks.desktop;gimp.desktop;
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache:application/postscript=qpdfview.desktop;evince-previewer.desktop;evince.desktop;kde4-okularApplication_ghostview.desktop;xreader.desktop;gimp.desktop;

Hope this helps others.

Re: Default viewers [SOLVED]

Tom Hughes
On 03/11/2018 17:17, Peter Flynn wrote:

> In that file, application/pdf (and application/postscript) is bound to a
> list of .desktop files as you would expect:
>
>    qpdfview.desktop
>    evince-previewer.desktop
>    evince.desktop
>    kde4-okularApplication_pdf.desktop
>    xreader.desktop
>    texworks.desktop
>    gimp.desktop

The problem is almost certainly that evince has recently changed
the name of it's desktop files to:

   org.gnome.Evince-previewer.desktop
   org.gnome.Evince.desktop

and they are therefore no longer matching.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Default viewers [SOLVED]

Peter Flynn
On 03/11/2018 17:30, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 03/11/2018 17:17, Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> In that file, application/pdf (and application/postscript) is bound to a
>> list of .desktop files as you would expect:
>>
>>    qpdfview.desktop
>>    evince-previewer.desktop
>>    evince.desktop
>>    kde4-okularApplication_pdf.desktop
>>    xreader.desktop
>>    texworks.desktop
>>    gimp.desktop
>
> The problem is almost certainly that evince has recently changed
> the name of it's desktop files to:
>
>   org.gnome.Evince-previewer.desktop
>   org.gnome.Evince.desktop
>
> and they are therefore no longer matching.

Fortunately not, it was the gimp.desktop files that claimed GIMP opens
application/pdf and application/postscript. It doesn't, of course, in
the normal meaning of "opens" — GIMP can import a PDF or EPS file by
converting it to a bitmap, but that's not what "open" means in this
sense. Deleting those MIME media types from the mimeinfo.cache and
mime.desktop files fixes the problem.

///Peter