Delete all attributes

Semperor Anonymous
Hello.

I have a family tree with about 2000 people. The tree was initially made with MyHertige (holy crap!). I have at least 2 useless attributes linked to every person and every family. How can I automatically or by bulk delete them?

Kind regards from southern Germany.

Hagen

Re: Delete all attributes

Dave Scheipers
Welcome Hagen

There's good news and bad news. I too faced this dilemma importing from PAF.

The Good news. Go to Tools >> Family Tree Processing >> Set Attribute

Enter the Name of the attribute, leave the Value field blank and check
the Remove box. This will delete the attribute from the People
records.

The Bad news is this tool does not handle Attributes in the Family records.

And as always it is a good idea to create a gramps xml backup before
doing any bulk processing,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Semperor Anonymous <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a family tree with about 2000 people. The tree was initially made
> with MyHertige (holy crap!). I have at least 2 useless attributes linked to
> every person and every family. How can I automatically or by bulk delete
> them?
>
> Kind regards from southern Germany.
>
> Hagen

Re: Delete all attributes

Per Starbäck
> And as always it is a good idea to create a gramps xml backup before
> doing any bulk processing,

And also, if you are technically inclined, editing that xml file in a
smart way can be an effective way of doing bulk processing that there
is no ready tool for.

Re: Delete all attributes

Dave Scheipers
True, but it depends on the type of edit. I used this technique to
change the Family Type from "Unknown" to "Married". A Search and
Replace operation that the editor easily understands.

But to search for Attribute names and then to manually delete the
line, while possible, I was too afraid of altering a surrounding line.

Just a word of caution.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> And as always it is a good idea to create a gramps xml backup before
>> doing any bulk processing,
>
> And also, if you are technically inclined, editing that xml file in a
> smart way can be an effective way of doing bulk processing that there
> is no ready tool for.

Re: Delete all attributes

keithwjones
Dave Scheipers wrote
> The Good news. Go to Tools >> Family Tree Processing >> Set Attribute

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 but I do not see Set Attribute?

Keith

-----
GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 - Windows 10 64bit

GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 - Windows 10 64bit

Re: Delete all attributes

Dave Scheipers
Set Attribute is an add-on. In Preferences, you may have to uncheck
the "Do not ask about previously notified addons" and then do a manual
check for  addons.

Dave

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM, keithwjones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave Scheipers wrote
>> The Good news. Go to Tools >> Family Tree Processing >> Set Attribute
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 but I do not see Set Attribute?
>
> Keith
>

> -----
> GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 - Windows 10 64bit
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Delete all attributes

keithwjones
Dave Scheipers wrote
> Set Attribute is an add-on. In Preferences, you may have to uncheck
> the "Do not ask about previously notified addons" and then do a manual
> check for  addons.

New user, learning how to use the system.

Keith

-----
GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 - Windows 10 64bit

GrampsAIO64-4.2.8-1 - Windows 10 64bit

Re: Delete all attributes

Dave Scheipers
Welcome Keith

Glad to help. We were all new users once upon a time.

Dave