DenominoViso report error

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I haven't used the DenominoViso report generator for a while now, but I've
entered some new data today on Gramps and I went to generate new
DenominoViso charts. Whatever path/file location I choose to save the xhtml
file, I am getting a permission error "Failure writing /rogerio.xhtml:
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/rogerio.xhtml'".

I don't seem to be able to overcome this issue. I'm running Gramps 4.2.8 on
Mac OSX 10.13.6.

Out of curiosity, I have installed Gramps 5 on Windows 7 (VirtualBox), and I
get exactly the same issue.

Any suggestions as to what may be cause? Has anyone been able to sort this
issue?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Rogério

Re: DenominoViso report error

adrian.davey
I am on 5.0.1-1 pm W10 64.

I have not previously been able to get the DenominoViso to produce
useful output for me.

But a quick test for me produces an apparently valid xhtml file (i.e.
one that opens in a browser and does display some coloured boxes).

(But what I get is completely useless. At the very least I am going to
have to fiddle extensively with the style options before I get any
useable xhtml file! We are not helped by the fact that while there is a
"Help" button in the report creation dialog, upon arrival at the v5 wiki
there is nothing there at all for the DenominoViso! But at the moment my
output does not even have visible text on the boxes.)

Your particular problem could be in the path specified in the report
dialog. (Though the Errno for an incorrect path for me was 2 rather than
the 13 you encountered.)

The report unfortunately does not provide the user with ANY indicator
that report creation has completed sucessfully.

Adrian Davey | Canberra AUSTRALIA

On 6/1/19 2:02 PM, Rogerio Domingos via Gramps-users wrote:

> I haven't used the DenominoViso report generator for a while now, but I've
> entered some new data today on Gramps and I went to generate new
> DenominoViso charts. Whatever path/file location I choose to save the xhtml
> file, I am getting a permission error "Failure writing /rogerio.xhtml:
> [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/rogerio.xhtml'".
>
> I don't seem to be able to overcome this issue. I'm running Gramps 4.2.8 on
> Mac OSX 10.13.6.
>
> Out of curiosity, I have installed Gramps 5 on Windows 7 (VirtualBox), and I
> get exactly the same issue.
>
> Any suggestions as to what may be cause? Has anyone been able to sort this
> issue

It looks like you might be writing to / instead of /Users.

Re: DenominoViso report error

Hi Adrian,

I really like the "Ancestor - Fan" chart like the one at https://rogerio.pt/tree/old/ - for me, this alone is what DenominoViso is all about! It allows me to see where I am on the research and where I have gaps. Every bit is clickable and the information displays on the right handside. The search box on the top is also great for searching names, surnames or locations. I don't change any of default parameters, all I do is select the person at the epicenter of the fan and the report type as "fan".

As for my "issue"... Sometimes you just have to give up and get back to it again at a later date.

Yesterday I could not generate a graph, come what may. The folder icon allowing you to select the folder/location where to write the xhtml wasn't (and still isn't) working properly. I could select a folder, but when it returned to the other options, it would not update the field with the path to the location I had selected. If I went ahead, it would give me the error I have reported, as it was attempting to write the xhtml file to the root of the system.

I had another go this morning. While using the folder icon to select a folder is still not working (as mentioned above), I have been able to write directly on the field containing the path for the file - I'm not sure if I tried that yesterday. Et voilà, the report generated okay! Yes, it doesn't tell you that it did. You just have to look for the xhtml file on the destination folder you have specified.

Best regards from Lisboa, Portugal.

Rogério