Descendant Report problem with addresses

Descendant Report problem with addresses

George Baynes
When I enter births using the England and Wales Birth Registration
Indices as my Source, I use an address as per the following.

Fulham RD, England
or
Wrexham RD, Wales

The reason I do this is because not all the Registration Districts
conform to County boundaries.

However when I print out the Decendants Report, I find that births have
acquired a County as per...

Fulham RD, London, England

But only some of them, the rest have no place given. As though the
report is rejecting my places.

How can I convince the report that I know what I am doing.

George Baynes

Re: Descendant Report problem with addresses

Ron Johnson
Is "Fulham RD" enclosed directly by "England", or by "London"?

On 03/03/2017 04:51 PM, george wrote:

> When I enter births using the England and Wales Birth Registration
> Indices as my Source, I use an address as per the following.
>
> Fulham RD, England
> or
> Wrexham RD, Wales
>
> The reason I do this is because not all the Registration Districts
> conform to County boundaries.
>
> However when I print out the Decendants Report, I find that births have
> acquired a County as per...
>
> Fulham RD, London, England
>
> But only some of them, the rest have no place given. As though the
> report is rejecting my places.
>
> How can I convince the report that I know what I am doing.
>
> George Baynes

Re: Descendant Report problem with addresses

George Baynes
A few more clues. I suspect that the Descendant Report uses the OLD
Place TITLE.

This field is no longer accessible to users (post 4.2)

Hopefully, this is already on the developers list of things to do.

George Baynes

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 22:51:28 +0000
> From: george <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gramps-users] Descendant Report problem with addresses
> To: [hidden email]
>
> When I enter births using the England and Wales Birth Registration
> Indices as my Source, I use an address as per the following.
>
> Fulham RD, England
> or
> Wrexham RD, Wales
>
> The reason I do this is because not all the Registration Districts
> conform to County boundaries.
>
> However when I print out the Decendants Report, I find that births have
> acquired a County as per...
>
> Fulham RD, London, England
>
> But only some of them, the rest have no place given. As though the
> report is rejecting my places.
>
> How can I convince the report that I know what I am doing.
>
> George Baynes
>

> ------------------------------

> End of Gramps-users Digest, Vol 130, Issue 1

Re: Descendant Report problem with addresses

Paul Franklin-5
> Hopefully, this is already on the developers list of things to do.

If you think there is a bug, file a report on the bug tracker.

Many developers don't read the gramps-users list, and even
if they do this is not the place to file bug reports.  They are
hard to find, hard to track, hard to correlate with other bugs,
hard to note if and when they get fixed, hard to remember,
and so on.

Don't worry about filing a duplicate bug.  If that happens and
somebody notices it's a duplicate, it will be processed.

It's also true that some developers factor in how many users
are hitting the problem when they decide what they will fix.

There's a wiki page about filing bug reports, what makes a
good one (for instance instructions on how to provoke it).

Re: Descendant Report problem with addresses

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
Hi George,
descendent text report uses dispay.place.py which shold give the full place string including all parts of place hierarchie.
If a place is not displayed in expected way this ist due to enclosing / not enclosing places
cheers ULi

A few more clues. I suspect that the Descendant Report uses the OLD
Place TITLE.

This field is no longer accessible to users (post 4.2)

Hopefully, this is already on the developers list of things to do.

George Baynes
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 22:51:28 +0000
> From: george <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gramps-users] Descendant Report problem with addresses
> To: [hidden email]
>
> When I enter births using the England and Wales Birth Registration
> Indices as my Source, I use an address as per the following.
>
> Fulham RD, England
> or
> Wrexham RD, Wales
>
> The reason I do this is because not all the Registration Districts
> conform to County boundaries.
>
> However when I print out the Decendants Report, I find that births have
> acquired a County as per...
>
> Fulham RD, London, England
>
> But only some of them, the rest have no place given. As though the
> report is rejecting my places.
>
> How can I convince the report that I know what I am doing.
>
> George Baynes
>

> ------------------------------

> End of Gramps-users Digest, Vol 130, Issue 1

Re: Descendant Report problem with addresses

George Baynes
Is "Fulham RD" enclosed directly by "England", or by "London"?

Fulham RD (Registration District) is enclosed by England (Country)
directly, I have tried adding a different county to the one displayed
but it has no effect,

Fulham RD prints correctly in the Detailed Descendant Report.

Thanks to ULi for where to look.

I have been looking at the Descendant Report source code. The Report has
the following...

             place_handle = event.get_place_handle()
             if place_handle:
                 place = _pd.display_event(self.database, event)

where the Display.place.py file has the following

         place_handle = event.get_place_handle()
         if place_handle:
             place = db.get_place_from_handle(place_handle)

<<    def get_place_from_handle(self, handle):
         """
         Find a Place in the database from the passed handle.

         If no such Place exists, None is returned.
         """
         return self.get_from_handle(handle, Place, self.place_map)   >>

Does anybody know of a difference between the two ways of getting the
Place. I cannot find __pd.display_event()

George Baynes