Don, Alex, I have noticed a few blemishes in the DetAncestralReport, here are
1. In the Children list a space before the Born: and Died: would make the
list more readable. The spaces could be entered in list_person_str of
ReportUtils.py. Unfortunately I am don't know what other programs use this
function so this may not be the preferred fix. I have attached my edited
version of ReportUtils.py file for your review.
2. Name with no birth date and no birth place runs into the next sentence
(ex: 5. Francoise BoudreauShe is the daughter ... instead of 5. Francoise
Bourdeau. She is the daughter ...). The change for this is in born_str
function of ReportUtils.py.
3. In some marriage cases the person is known but date and place are not
known. This generates a sentence like "She married Germain Cormier in." The
date is missing. There is a slight program error in married_str in
ReportUtils.py, this is fixed by replacing date with place in a few spots.
4. I am interested in changing the "in about year" to "about year" syntax.
This needs further study on my part.
5. The key in the DetAncestralReport is a numeric value containing
generation and person number of the form g**2+n. It seems a key of the form
g.n where g is the generation and n is person number within the generation
could work. The advantage of this format is one can go directly to the
ancestor (parents) by mentally computing (g+1).2*n (adding one to the
generation and doubling the person number) and to the descendant by
(g-1).n/2. Do you have any thoughts on this format. Of course it could
easily be made optional.