Detailed Descendant Report

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Before I bother the programmers by raising a bug report...

I use LibreOffice  Writer as my default viewer.

First

The report produced has Styles created by Gramps to control the
formatting of the different sections of the report. Included is a
"DDR-NoteHeader" Style but there is no corresponding "DDR-NoteDetails"
Style. The Notes use the "DDR-Entry" Style. I would like a
"DDR-NoteDetails" Style output by Gramps.

Now to stop everyone saying, Yes but you can pre-format Notes. I agree,
but if you do, the formatting does not survive a SAVE and REOPEN. Then
the Notes revert to "DDR-Entry" Style. This may be a problem with
LibreOffice Writer.

Second

Is it possible to include Widows and Orphans Controls and 'Keep this
(header) style with the next paragraph', within the Styles output by
Gramps. I can believe that in order to accommodate the various Word
Processors that a reduced Style SET is required. Does anyone know if
that is the case ?

George Baynes

Re: Detailed Descendant Report

adrian.davey
Create a template in LO with the formats you want for each paragraph
style, including e.g. the widow & orphan settings you refer to.

Easiest way to do this is to use a test DDR from a LARGE and complicated
family, which is more likely to contain practically every output type
somewhere within it. It is tedious the first time, but well worth the
effort. Once you have formatted all para types [make a list] to your
satisfaction [fonts, linespacing, indents, widow/orphan settings,
keep-with-next, ... everything...], save the DDR, then delete all the
text within in it [you will be left with a single blank paragraph mark,
plus headers & footers if you want], then save it as a template with a
distinctive [preferably time-stamped] name, then import that template
back into LO. Taming templates in LO does take considerable effort! Took
me weeks of iterative work and swearing to begin with, to get the output
just how I wanted it [and testing compromises of font  size to suit
oldies with failing eyesight!], but that for me was now years ago and I
can completely reformat a new DDR for a very large family in just moments!

When you open a new .odt version of a DDR extracted from gramps, you go
[varies a bit according to which version of LO you are on] to manage
styles, then select "Load styles" [usually a drop-down top-right in the
dialog], select your template, including at least the setting
'overwrite'. If your template also set up page margins & headers &
footers, you can apply that too by including the setting 'pages'.

When you click OK the report has all the formatting applied from your
template, and once you save the .odt it stays that way, so it is
more-or-less a once-per-extract-version task.

There are still likely to be some eccentricities in the formatting, as
there are inconsistencies in the way the DDR and other gramps reports
assemble database components and tag them with styles. I am part-way
through an exhaustive check of the various text reports in the hope I
can eventually persuade the devs to eliminate some of these strange and
unnecessary inconsistencies, but the arrival of v5, and the fact my
laptop appears to be finally dying, has for the moment diverted me onto
other more pressing and delicate tasks...

cheers, Adrian

On 2018-08-17 00:46, george via Gramps-users wrote:

> Before I bother the programmers by raising a bug report...
>
> I use LibreOffice  Writer as my default viewer.
>
> First
>
> The report produced has Styles created by Gramps to control the
> formatting of the different sections of the report. Included is a
> "DDR-NoteHeader" Style but there is no corresponding "DDR-NoteDetails"
> Style. The Notes use the "DDR-Entry" Style. I would like a
> "DDR-NoteDetails" Style output by Gramps.
>
> Now to stop everyone saying, Yes but you can pre-format Notes. I
> agree, but if you do, the formatting does not survive a SAVE and
> REOPEN. Then the Notes revert to "DDR-Entry" Style. This may be a
> problem with LibreOffice Writer.
>
> Second
>
> Is it possible to include Widows and Orphans Controls and 'Keep this
> (header) style with the next paragraph', within the Styles output by
> Gramps. I can believe that in order to accommodate the various Word
> Processors that a reduced Style SET is required. Does anyone know if
> that is the case ?
>
> George Baynes

Re: Detailed Descendant Report

J. Allen Crider-2
Do you have any shared events with reference notes or attributes?  I've
noticed what I believe to be a bug with reports and shared events that
has affected several reports for me in 5.0.0, including both Detailed
Descendant and Detailed Ancestral Reports and web reports.  The only
events affected for me so far are census events created with the Forms
add-on (but that is still over 2000 events and growing almost daily),
but I've done some testing with a dummy database that confirms it occurs
with any shared events that use Reference Information so I don't think
it has anything to do with the Forms add-on.  But it would be nice to
know if anyone else has seen it.

Allen Crider

On 08/16/2018 09:46 AM, george via Gramps-users wrote:

> Before I bother the programmers by raising a bug report...
>
> I use LibreOffice  Writer as my default viewer.
>
> First
>
> The report produced has Styles created by Gramps to control the
> formatting of the different sections of the report. Included is a
> "DDR-NoteHeader" Style but there is no corresponding "DDR-NoteDetails"
> Style. The Notes use the "DDR-Entry" Style. I would like a
> "DDR-NoteDetails" Style output by Gramps.
>
> Now to stop everyone saying, Yes but you can pre-format Notes. I agree,
> but if you do, the formatting does not survive a SAVE and REOPEN. Then
> the Notes revert to "DDR-Entry" Style. This may be a problem with
> LibreOffice Writer.
>
> Second
>
> Is it possible to include Widows and Orphans Controls and 'Keep this
> (header) style with the next paragraph', within the Styles output by
> Gramps. I can believe that in order to accommodate the various Word
> Processors that a reduced Style SET is required. Does anyone know if
> that is the case ?
>
> George Baynes

Re: Detailed Descendant Report

Thanks for the reply , Adrian. I had thought of using a template but
could see no way of getting Gramps to use it. You use the template as a
store of Styles which can be imported into the output file of Gramps.

As a work around it will work but, call me lazy, but it seems like too
much work. I would still have to go through the file finding each Notes
section to set the new style.

George Baynes

On 16/08/18 23:48, Adrian Davey wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The report produced has Styles created by Gramps to control the
>> formatting of the different sections of the report. Included is a
>> "DDR-NoteHeader" Style but there is no corresponding
>> "DDR-NoteDetails" Style. The Notes use the "DDR-Entry" Style. I would
>> like a "DDR-NoteDetails" Style output by Gramps.
>>
>> Now to stop everyone saying, Yes but you can pre-format Notes. I
>> agree, but if you do, the formatting does not survive a SAVE and
>> REOPEN. Then the Notes revert to "DDR-Entry" Style. This may be a
>> problem with LibreOffice Writer.
>>
>> Second
>>
>> Is it possible to include Widows and Orphans Controls and 'Keep this
>> (header) style with the next paragraph', within the Styles output by
>> Gramps. I can believe that in order to accommodate the various Word
>> Processors that a reduced Style SET is required. Does anyone know if

Hi Allen Crider

I have lots of shared events. I do not use the Notes, Attributes nor
Gallery at the Events level. What kind of problem does it cause in the
reports ? Is it just in v5.0 ? I do not use the forms to input census data.

George Baynes