Did I lose my data in the upgrade?

Lloyd Lemmermann
I just upgraded from 4.00 to 4.26 and am not sure how to find my data. It appears to be a new empty database. Do I need to point it to a folder?
I’m on OS X 10.11.6, and though I am generally comfortable doing upgrades and whatnot, I fear I may have missed a step.
Thanks for any insights.

Re: Did I lose my data in the upgrade?

prculley
The safest way to do an upgrade is always to export (or backup) your data to an Gramps XML file using your current software.
Then use the newer version to import that data into a new tree.

I'm not familiar with OS X, it seems possible that the place that the Gramps db was stored was changed between these versions, as Apple continues to put restrictions on some of the newly installed Apps, we sometimes have to do things a bit different.

If you look at Edit/Preferences/Family Tree tab at the "Family Tree Database Path" on the old version and make sure it is the same on the new version, you SHOULD be able to see the previous db.

Paul C.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:35 PM, Lloyd Lemmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just upgraded from 4.00 to 4.26 and am not sure how to find my data. It appears to be a new empty database. Do I need to point it to a folder?
I’m on OS X 10.11.6, and though I am generally comfortable doing upgrades and whatnot, I fear I may have missed a step.
Thanks for any insights.

Re: Did I lose my data in the upgrade?

Hello Lloyd,

> I just upgraded from 4.00 to 4.26 and am not sure how to find my data. It appears to be a new empty database. Do I need to point it to a folder?
You might, if you changed that folder from the standard setting that it
had in 4.0, and also if Apple changed it, but that will probably only be
easy if you know where the old folder is, or was.

> I’m on OS X 10.11.6, and though I am generally comfortable doing upgrades and whatnot, I fear I may have missed a step.
I think that you missed one indeed, because our site clearly advises to
make a backup before upgrade:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=download#Mac_OS_X

This section has two links to further explain things, one for backup,
and the other for more advanced things that may apply to you if your
original Gramps setup was made with version 3.2.3 or earlier.

If you did not make the backup as advised, you may need to look at the
locations mentioned in the Before installation section of the article
behind the 2nd link. Alternatively, you may also try to locate the old
grampsdb folder using the finder, but that will probably only work if
you allow that to search hidden and/or system files.

Since I don't have OS X here, I can't be more specific than this, but I
hope it helps a bit.

Cheers,