Disappeared people

Tássio Naia
Hi all,

Firstly, hello!
This is my first email to the list of gramps users.

I have recently begun to join the family trees of my wife and mine,
and decided to do it all using gramps.

However, some people of our family have gone missing years ago,
and I have not been able to find (them or) a way of registering that
information on gramps.

I have browsed the wiki of the project but didn't really know any keywords
other than events/disappear and missing...

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Tassio

Re: Disappeared people

Tássio Naia
Hi Laura,

That is a nice feature! Very useful, I will use it =)

The sad truth is that (in more than one instance) the other interpretation is also true.
In the ancestry there were were fathers who abandoned their families (long ago).
So it was an "intended" disappearance.

Best, T

Re: Disappeared people

Gramps is genealogical software, not morality police software.  Thus, women
are allowed to have as many male partners (even when they are unknown) as
needed.

So, for example, if a woman has children by 5 different men, only 2 of who's
names that you know: create the woman via "Add Person", then "Create Family"
five times, with her as the Mother every time (I like Relationships for
this), adding the man's name where known, and leaving it blank where not known.

If you want to make the unknown status stand out, give the men names like
"UNKNOWN UNKNOWN", FNU ("First Name Unknown", LNU ("Last Name Unknown") or
something similar.

Am I misunderstanding your problem?

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: Disappeared people

Tássio Naia
Thank you all for the answers. I believe those will all be useful at one or another point of the tree.

I think I was mentally "fixed" on the notion that this sort of separation should be an event in the relationship.
But the more I think about it, the less I believe the date needs a specific field, and it can perhaps just be added to the notes of the family.

Thanks again
Tassio

Re: Disappeared people

Philip Weiss
There are a number of ways you can model a disappearance of someone.  What Ron notes can be done to document the family relationships.

To model the disappearance itself, I'll do a few different things depending on the situations.

One is to add a family event.  You could called it "disappeared" or "abandonment".  This would be similar to a divorce or separation event except that reports won't pick it up.  You'd probably want to have a note attached to document which person actually abandoned the family, because family events are generally mutual.  If you don't know exactly when a person abandoned the family, the date can be a range.

Another is to use an individual event, and that can be done a few ways.  One is to use an event such as "Departure" to model leaving an area, and attach a note to describe that he/she also left the family.  Another is to use a "Residence " event to note the last known time/place for the person.

I tend to use the latter individual method for "unintentional" disappearances (where I just don't know what happened), and both the family event and Departure event for intentional disappearances (e.g., family story that the person headed off to build the Hoover Dam and never returned).

Phil.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: Disappeared people

Oh.  Well, yes, it *is* an event in a relationship, and *should* be recorded.

Gramps allows for this, and so you can create a custom Family event named,
for example, "Abandoned" or "Man Disappeared" and then, if known, give it a
date and location.

Just put the cursor in the Even field and start typing.  Gramps will
automagically remember the event and will appear in the Event List the next
time you add a family event.

On 02/08/2015 03:28 PM, Tássio Naia wrote:
> Thank you all for the answers. I believe those will all be useful at one
> or another point of the tree.
>
> I think I was mentally "fixed" on the notion that this sort of separation
> should be an event in the relationship.
> But the more I think about it, the less I believe the date needs a
> specific field, and it can perhaps just be added to the notes of the family.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: Disappeared people

Tássio Naia
Wow, this is great!

I thank each of you for your time and kind answers,
and look forward to contributing back to this community.

Best wishes,
Tassio

PS: Let me compliment you all: these were the best written
emails I have seen in quite some time.

Re: Disappeared people

Kenneth Browne

This thread reminds me of a situation in my paternal line. I was way too young and innocent to understand some if my father's and uncles' comments about their father but circumstantial evidence and overheard criticisms suggest that Gpa 'disappeared' from time to time.

'He'd go on a bender and come back just long enough to get Ma pregnant,' or words to that effect along with a census listing where Gma was living with the 1st two children and her father. Later the rest of the children came along one after another with a gap of several years between #1&2 and #3-8.