Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

Duncan Lithgow
Another old RFE which is not implemented.

"It is common not to have an exact date of birth or
death but instead the date of baptism and burial when
using old church registers as source. The people view
could now list the baptism/burial date if no date for
birth/death is given, which would help to easier find
the right person if some haf the same name."

What's the view on this - it's come up again recently I think.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

Julio Sánchez-2
Duncan:

I am for it, without reservations.  Moreover, in some places, an extra effort should be done to estimate birth/death dates, including resorting to data about nearby relatives.

One case where this is absolutely critical is while considering merges where you can't tell whether two identically named people might be the same person unless you look very carefully at date estimates for their vital events.  Doing it by hand is very tireseome and error-prone, the computer is much better at doing these things.

I regret to say it, but again I am forked in this, the code I use does all this for births (not for death dates, unfortunately).

This is a recurring problem for me.  I am absolutely dependant on reliable and robust merging (not that others don't expect it, it is that I put it to the limit).  This is an area where errors are not immediately apparent and tend to be discovered very late after the fact, where you find you have made unintended changes to hundreds of records.  I have been bitten before. So I am extremely reluctant to expose my data to code I don't have reasonable faith in.  That means I will come late into the new versions and start fixing what I find.  At times, I will commit small fixes.  But if I would like some bigger changes, I will refrain for fear of breaking something.  As soon as I feel confident enough, I move my data to the new version that is forked by then and then I will get on with genealogy and the fixes will be left to later "cleaning" for the next version where the breakage would not be so bad.  Invariably, when the new version starts development, I will be very busy with something else and I will not care to commit the changes there, setting the stage for a new turn around this vicious circle.  I hate to be that pessimistic, but it comes from past experience.

Sorry for this disgression, but I wanted to let you know why I happen to be that forked because I have written several times about "my own code" and everyone by now must be wondering what' s the matter with me.  It is simply self-inflicted damage coming from laziness and half-baked jobs that in the end cost me more than if I had done them right first time.

I promise myself to try to do it right next time, but then I did just that last time.

Best regards,

Julio

2006/11/7, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>:
Another old RFE which is not implemented.

"It is common not to have an exact date of birth or
death but instead the date of baptism and burial when
using old church registers as source. The people view
could now list the baptism/burial date if no date for
birth/death is given, which would help to easier find
the right person if some haf the same name."

What's the view on this - it's come up again recently I think.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

Martin Hawlisch
Hi!

I remember that I partly implemented that in the People View by showing that fallback dates in italics. But I dont remember if I commited that patch or if it was reverted.

Cheers, Martin.

Von: Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [Gramps-devel] Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

Julio Sánchez-2
Martin,

I took it originally from someone, maybe you. I forward ported it and then it evolved from there.

Julio

Von: Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>

--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Display/Sort using Baptism/Burial if Birth/Death date missin

Martin Hawlisch
Hi!

The code was still in PeopleView, but changes to RelLib made it throw an Exception, which was catched and not visible :-(

I now fixed that for PeopleView, and enhanced the RelationView and PedigreeView to do the same :-)

Now these three Views show Baptism/Christening as fallback for birth and Burial/Cremation as fallback for Death.

Cheer,
  Martin.

Von: "Julio Sánchez" <[hidden email]>

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 13:12 +0100, Martin Hawlisch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The code was still in PeopleView, but changes to RelLib made it throw an Exception, which was catched and not visible :-(
>
> I now fixed that for PeopleView, and enhanced the RelationView and PedigreeView to do the same :-)
>
> Now these three Views show Baptism/Christening as fallback for birth and Burial/Cremation as fallback for Death.

Are you talking here about 2.2 or your own version?

I've moved the RFE to the 2.2 branch at:
http://bugs.gramps-project.org/view.php?id=545

It's not really something I know much about and I certainly can't
contribute  any code to it - so please add yourselves to the list of
addresses with the 'Monitor Issue' button.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk