Display update after dismissing a dialog

Display update after dismissing a dialog

Oldest1
Is there a way to force a refresh of the main display (running under Windows - 4.2 beta updated to latest git code)
after a person's data - such as birth date has been entered and/or modified?

It is a bit disconcerting to find no change in the display - particularly if one gets interrupted at the point just after
clicking on OK - to come back to a screen which does not reflect the change expected.

Arnold

--
Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.7
Vista & Win7 compatible

Re: Display update after dismissing a dialog

Ron Johnson
What do you mean by "the main display"?  Are you in Relationships, and using the Events gramplet?

On 08/16/2015 06:51 PM, jecxz112 wrote:
Is there a way to force a refresh of the main display (running under Windows - 4.2 beta updated to latest git code)
after a person's data - such as birth date has been entered and/or modified?

It is a bit disconcerting to find no change in the display - particularly if one gets interrupted at the point just after
clicking on OK - to come back to a screen which does not reflect the change expected.

--
"Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw's a fascist regime!"

On 8/16/2015 5:08 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
What do you mean by "the main display"?  Are you in Relationships, and using the Events gramplet?
No, I was in 'People' and editing the birth date for the person.

On 08/16/2015 09:02 PM, jecxz112 wrote:
On 8/16/2015 5:08 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
What do you mean by "the main display"?  Are you in Relationships, and using the Events gramplet?
No, I was in 'People' and editing the birth date for the person.

Hmmm.   When I open a Person edit window from People, and double-click on an Event, the Event Reference Editor window appears.  I change the birth date, click OK to close the ERE window and this am back to the Person edit window.

The new birth date appears in the People list of names as soon as I click OK to close the Person edit window.

On 8/16/2015 7:30 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/16/2015 09:02 PM, jecxz112 wrote:
On 8/16/2015 5:08 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
What do you mean by "the main display"?  Are you in Relationships, and using the Events gramplet?
No, I was in 'People' and editing the birth date for the person.

Hmmm.   When I open a Person edit window from People, and double-click on an Event, the Event Reference Editor window appears.  I change the birth date, click OK to close the ERE window and this am back to the Person edit window.

The new birth date appears in the People list of names as soon as I click OK to close the Person edit window.
There seem to be a number of differences between the Windows & Linux 'editions' :-(

In order to get some work done, I'm inclined to go for Linux for the main work and pick away at the Windows side 'as time permits'.

Arnold

On 08/18/2015 12:49 PM, jecxz112 wrote:
On 8/16/2015 7:30 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/16/2015 09:02 PM, jecxz112 wrote:
On 8/16/2015 5:08 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
What do you mean by "the main display"?  Are you in Relationships, and using the Events gramplet?
No, I was in 'People' and editing the birth date for the person.

Hmmm.   When I open a Person edit window from People, and double-click on an Event, the Event Reference Editor window appears.  I change the birth date, click OK to close the ERE window and this am back to the Person edit window.

The new birth date appears in the People list of names as soon as I click OK to close the Person edit window.
There seem to be a number of differences between the Windows & Linux 'editions' :-(

In order to get some work done, I'm inclined to go for Linux for the main work and pick away at the Windows side 'as time permits'.

I'm sure it has to do with the quality of the Windows Gtk port.

Maybe the Dev Team should port Gramps to Qt for v6.0!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0

On 8/18/2015 11:03 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
[...]

May well be - but I am in no position to help with any of this - my background is more with wxWidgets as cross-platform base.

Meanwhile, I want to spend more of my time using gramps for what it was designed for and as I already have a workable Linux box .....

Not to say, I have lost interest in the Windows version, but .... each day has only 24 hours ....

Even so, my wishlist for Gramps is growing by the day :-)

Arnold

--
Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.7
Vista & Win7 compatible
http://www.columbinehoney.net/wxSR.shtml

Re: Display update after dismissing a dialog

Nick Hall
On 18/08/15 19:32, jecxz112 wrote:
>> I'm sure it has to do with the quality of the Windows Gtk port.
>>
>> Maybe the Dev Team should port Gramps to Qt for v6.0!!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
> May well be - but I am in no position to help with any of this - my
> background is more with wxWidgets as cross-platform base.

This has been suggested before.  Qt and wxWidgets are both
cross-platform toolkits with python bindings that we could consider.
Which would be the better choice?

I'm sure that either would give a better experience for Mac and Windows
users.

We would also need some volunteers to spend the considerable amount of
time needed for such a port.

On 8/18/2015 1:24 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> This has been suggested before.  Qt and wxWidgets are both
> cross-platform toolkits with python bindings that we could consider.
> Which would be the better choice?
>
> I'm sure that either would give a better experience for Mac and Windows
> users.
>
> We would also need some volunteers to spend the considerable amount of
> time needed for such a port.
Yeah, I had considered that alternative, but aside from the
GUI, there are just too many
other unknowns for me, and even at that, design is not
really my strength :(

I much appreciate the time & effort that has gone into the
current code - it would not be
easy to start over, and keep up with all the other important
initiatives currently
under way.

Arnold

--
Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.7
Vista & Win7 compatible
http://www.columbinehoney.net/wxSR.shtml

Re: Display update after dismissing a dialog

DS Blank
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18/08/15 19:32, jecxz112 wrote:
>> I'm sure it has to do with the quality of the Windows Gtk port.
>>
>> Maybe the Dev Team should port Gramps to Qt for v6.0!!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
> May well be - but I am in no position to help with any of this - my
> background is more with wxWidgets as cross-platform base.

My first (failed) contribution to Gramps was a Tk fork. I would say that probably half of Gramps codding effort is related to GUI stuff, so that would be a humongous amount of work. I suggest that the next big GUI effort for Gramps should be in finishing the HTML version for Gramps-Connect. It is getting closer every year...

-Doug

On 8/18/2015 2:09 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18/08/15 19:32, jecxz112 wrote:
>> I'm sure it has to do with the quality of the Windows Gtk port.
>>
>> Maybe the Dev Team should port Gramps to Qt for v6.0!!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
> May well be - but I am in no position to help with any of this - my
> background is more with wxWidgets as cross-platform base.

My first (failed) contribution to Gramps was a Tk fork. I would say that probably half of Gramps codding effort is related to GUI stuff,
That proportion is about what I expected :-)
so that would be a humongous amount of work. I suggest that the next big GUI effort for Gramps should be in finishing the HTML version for Gramps-Connect. It is getting closer every year...
Just had a look at GC at the Wiki and downloaded the trunk version to test it, but it seems the link to pysqlite is dead -
are there any recommended/tested alternatives?

Arnold

--
Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.7
Vista & Win7 compatible
http://www.columbinehoney.net/wxSR.shtml

Re: Display update after dismissing a dialog

Serge Noiraud-2

Le 18/08/2015 22:24, Nick Hall a écrit :

> On 18/08/15 19:32, jecxz112 wrote:
>>> I'm sure it has to do with the quality of the Windows Gtk port.
>>>
>>> Maybe the Dev Team should port Gramps to Qt for v6.0!!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
>> May well be - but I am in no position to help with any of this - my
>> background is more with wxWidgets as cross-platform base.
> This has been suggested before.  Qt and wxWidgets are both
> cross-platform toolkits with python bindings that we could consider.
> Which would be the better choice?

The problem here is for some plugins based exclusively on Gtk.
So, you'll always need Gtk and you'll add a new dependency.
It'll cost some months of work, You'll loose in stability, ...

I don't think this is a good idea.

serge

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 7:51 PM, jecxz112 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to force a refresh of the main display (running under Windows - 4.2 beta updated to latest git code)
after a person's data - such as birth date has been entered and/or modified?

It is a bit disconcerting to find no change in the display - particularly if one gets interrupted at the point just after
clicking on OK - to come back to a screen which does not reflect the change expected.

This sounds like a bug; did you report this [1]? Thanks!

-Doug

Arnold

On 19/08/15 12:00, Serge Noiraud wrote:

>> >This has been suggested before.  Qt and wxWidgets are both
>> >cross-platform toolkits with python bindings that we could consider.
>> >Which would be the better choice?
> The problem here is for some plugins based exclusively on Gtk.
> So, you'll always need Gtk and you'll add a new dependency.
> It'll cost some months of work, You'll loose in stability, ...
>
> I don't think this is a good idea.

If we ever made the change, it would have to be a complete change from
Gtk to either Qt or wxWidgets.  Plugins would have to change as well.

Even though our GUI code is reasonably well separated, it would involve
a massive effort.