Displaying divorce details

Bugzilla from j.dickin@wanadoo.fr
Dear sirs

I am trying to set up my family tree, so please bear with me as a "newbie", and have met the problem of how to handle divorces.   Having read your FAQs and Tutorial I found the guidance shown below.  This seems logical and accurate but if a divorce is to be treated as the same as a death then shouldn't the divorce details show in the Relationship View (and possibly other views I have not yet encountered) as do the marriage details? The full history would then be seen.

If this is a stupid question from a Learner then I apologise for wasting your time - I have searched in many places to get an answer but could not find one.  I look forward to your response and, hopefully, an easy resolution.

Many thanks

Jim Dickin

How do I represent a divorce?
I want to indicate that two people are divorced, yet GRAMPS does not have a Relationship type of Divorced. How do I represent this?

GRAMPS does not consider Divorced to be a relationship type. Instead, it is an event that terminates the relationship. If two people are divorced, it does not change the fact that they had a relationship type of Married. Divorce, like Death, is one way in which a marriage is terminated. Just as the death of a spouse does not change that fact that two people were married, a divorce does not change the fact that two people were married.

So to represent a marriage that ended in divorce:

  1. Create a family
  2. Add both spouses
  3. Set the relationship to Married
  4. Add an Event of type Divorce

Re: Displaying divorce details

Gerald Britton-2
Sounds like you might want to file a feature request at
bugs.gramps-project.org.   Other sorts of family events are not
displayed in relationship view either, such as engagement, annulment,
civil vs. religious marriage, marriage banns, etc.

On Nov 20, 2007 12:23 PM, James & Jeanette Dickin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Dear sirs
>

>  I am trying to set up my family tree, so please bear with me as a "newbie",
> and have met the problem of how to handle divorces.   Having read your FAQs
> and Tutorial I found the guidance shown below.  This seems logical and
> accurate but if a divorce is to be treated as the same as a death then
> shouldn't the divorce details show in the Relationship View (and possibly
> other views I have not yet encountered) as do the marriage details? The full
> history would then be seen.
>
>  If this is a stupid question from a Learner then I apologise for wasting
> your time - I have searched in many places to get an answer but could not
> find one.  I look forward to your response and, hopefully, an easy
> resolution.
>
>  Many thanks
>

>  Jim Dickin
>

> **********************************************************************************
>  How do I represent a divorce?
>  I want to indicate that two people are divorced, yet GRAMPS does not have a
> Relationship type of Divorced. How do I represent this?
>
>  GRAMPS does not consider Divorced to be a relationship type. Instead, it is
> an event that terminates the relationship. If two people are divorced, it
> does not change the fact that they had a relationship type of Married.
> Divorce, like Death, is one way in which a marriage is terminated. Just as
> the death of a spouse does not change that fact that two people were
> married, a divorce does not change the fact that two people were married.
>
>  So to represent a marriage that ended in divorce:
>

> Create a family
> Add both spouses
> Set the relationship to Married
> Add an Event of type Divorce
>
> *****************************************************************************************

Re: Displaying divorce details

Benny Malengier
I agree to Gereld, please file a feature request on our bug tracker.
Showing divorce/annulment alongside marriage looks like a good idea. Note that many things in genealogy are geared towards data 100 years ago, and divorce was not really common then or even possible.

Benny

2007/11/20, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]>:
Sounds like you might want to file a feature request at
bugs.gramps-project.org.   Other sorts of family events are not
displayed in relationship view either, such as engagement, annulment,
civil vs. religious marriage, marriage banns, etc.

On Nov 20, 2007 12:23 PM, James & Jeanette Dickin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Dear sirs
>

>  I am trying to set up my family tree, so please bear with me as a "newbie",
> and have met the problem of how to handle divorces.   Having read your FAQs
> and Tutorial I found the guidance shown below.  This seems logical and
> accurate but if a divorce is to be treated as the same as a death then
> shouldn't the divorce details show in the Relationship View (and possibly
> other views I have not yet encountered) as do the marriage details? The full
> history would then be seen.
>
>  If this is a stupid question from a Learner then I apologise for wasting
> your time - I have searched in many places to get an answer but could not
> find one.  I look forward to your response and, hopefully, an easy
> resolution.
>
>  Many thanks
>

>  Jim Dickin
>

> **********************************************************************************
>  How do I represent a divorce?
>  I want to indicate that two people are divorced, yet GRAMPS does not have a
> Relationship type of Divorced. How do I represent this?
>
>  GRAMPS does not consider Divorced to be a relationship type. Instead, it is
> an event that terminates the relationship. If two people are divorced, it
> does not change the fact that they had a relationship type of Married.
> Divorce, like Death, is one way in which a marriage is terminated. Just as
> the death of a spouse does not change that fact that two people were
> married, a divorce does not change the fact that two people were married.
>
>  So to represent a marriage that ended in divorce:
>

> Create a family
> Add both spouses
> Set the relationship to Married
> Add an Event of type Divorce
>
> *****************************************************************************************

Re: Displaying divorce details

Gerald Britton-2
<<Note
> that many things in genealogy are geared towards data 100 years ago, and
> divorce was not really common then or even possible. >>

Henry VIII might beg to differ!

On Nov 21, 2007 3:13 AM, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree to Gereld, please file a feature request on our bug tracker.
> Showing divorce/annulment alongside marriage looks like a good idea. Note
> that many things in genealogy are geared towards data 100 years ago, and
> divorce was not really common then or even possible.
>
> Benny
>
> 2007/11/20, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Sounds like you might want to file a feature request at
> > bugs.gramps-project.org.   Other sorts of family events are not
> > displayed in relationship view either, such as engagement, annulment,
> > civil vs. religious marriage, marriage banns, etc.
> >
> > On Nov 20, 2007 12:23 PM, James & Jeanette Dickin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Dear sirs
> > >

> > >  I am trying to set up my family tree, so please bear with me as a
> "newbie",
> > > and have met the problem of how to handle divorces.   Having read your
> FAQs
> > > and Tutorial I found the guidance shown below.  This seems logical and
> > > accurate but if a divorce is to be treated as the same as a death then
> > > shouldn't the divorce details show in the Relationship View (and
> possibly
> > > other views I have not yet encountered) as do the marriage details? The
> full
> > > history would then be seen.
> > >
> > >  If this is a stupid question from a Learner then I apologise for
> wasting
> > > your time - I have searched in many places to get an answer but could
> not
> > > find one.  I look forward to your response and, hopefully, an easy
> > > resolution.
> > >
> > >  Many thanks
> > >

> > >  Jim Dickin
> > >

> **********************************************************************************
> > >  How do I represent a divorce?
> > >  I want to indicate that two people are divorced, yet GRAMPS does not
> have a
> > > Relationship type of Divorced. How do I represent this?
> > >
> > >  GRAMPS does not consider Divorced to be a relationship type. Instead,
> it is
> > > an event that terminates the relationship. If two people are divorced,
> it
> > > does not change the fact that they had a relationship type of Married.
> > > Divorce, like Death, is one way in which a marriage is terminated. Just
> as
> > > the death of a spouse does not change that fact that two people were
> > > married, a divorce does not change the fact that two people were
> married.
> > >
> > >  So to represent a marriage that ended in divorce:
> > >

> > > Create a family
> > > Add both spouses
> > > Set the relationship to Married
> > > Add an Event of type Divorce

Re: Displaying divorce details

Benny Malengier
As non Brit it has always puzzled me the Anglican church doesn't like divorces while the roots are with Henry VIII.

I suppose he considered them annulments, not divorces.

Benny