Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

yorkshire_lad
Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

I have an individual (let's call her Mary to illustrate) that has an
event for their own death (with Role as Primary), but Mary is also an
informant for her husband's death (so she has another Death event,
except with Role as Informant)

In something like the descendant lines graphical report, Mary appears
with two dates of death.

Is there a way I can do something with the Display Format (and or the
substitution variables) so that Mary only appears with one date of death
(her own)?

It's possible I've misunderstood how to put an event in for informants,
if so, apologies.

Windows 10 / GrampsAIO64-4.2.3-1

TIA
Allan

Re: Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

Ron Johnson
On 12/29/2017 06:16 PM, Allan Gould wrote:

> Distinguishing between own death and death as informant
>
> I have an individual (let's call her Mary to illustrate) that has an event
> for their own death (with Role as Primary), but Mary is also an informant
> for her husband's death (so she has another Death event, except with Role
> as Informant)
>
> In something like the descendant lines graphical report, Mary appears with
> two dates of death.
>
> Is there a way I can do something with the Display Format (and or the
> substitution variables) so that Mary only appears with one date of death
> (her own)?
>
> It's possible I've misunderstood how to put an event in for informants, if
> so, apologies.

This is why I don't record Informants, etc.

Re: Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

Michael Stockhausen
Allan,

I also wanted to document other people`s roles in a death record (informant,
widow/er, parent, child), but on the other hand do not find it logical to
share a death event with someone else (the widow did not die herself).
I therefore decided to create two different events:
a) death record: the deceased person gets the primary role, the others get
custom roles (widow/er, informant, father/mother, son/daughter). Date and
place (=civil registry office or parish) of the death record
b) death: only the person who passed away; date and place of death

I have created a custom form for capturing the death record information. I
then do the death event "manually".  The source/citation is the same for
both events.

I do the same for births. Here I  may even have three events: civil birth
record, baptism (church) and the actual birth. The birth record and the
baptism (record) may then both be sources/citations for the birth, as they
both provide information when and where the child was born.

This may be a bit complicated, but I personally like the result.

Michael

Re: Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

Harvey Nimmo
Excuse me, I don't know what you are talking about....hmmm

My descendent lines graphical report is nothing but a list of names and
a count of the number of names at the end!

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.4, on OpenSuse Linux Leap 42.3.

Cheers
Harvey

On Sat, 2017-12-30 at 12:31 +0100, Michael Stockhausen wrote:

> Allan,
>
> I also wanted to document other people`s roles in a death record
> (informant,
> widow/er, parent, child), but on the other hand do not find it
> logical to
> share a death event with someone else (the widow did not die
> herself).
> I therefore decided to create two different events:
> a) death record: the deceased person gets the primary role, the
> others get
> custom roles (widow/er, informant, father/mother, son/daughter). Date
> and
> place (=civil registry office or parish) of the death record
> b) death: only the person who passed away; date and place of death
>
> I have created a custom form for capturing the death record
> information. I
> then do the death event "manually".  The source/citation is the same
> for
> both events.
>
> I do the same for births. Here I  may even have three events: civil
> birth
> record, baptism (church) and the actual birth. The birth record and
> the
> baptism (record) may then both be sources/citations for the birth, as
> they
> both provide information when and where the child was born.
>
> This may be a bit complicated, but I personally like the result.
>
> Michael

Ok. I take that back. There are two outputs, one is the list mentioned
below, the other is the graphical output under discussion. Sorry to
have jumped in with that.

But what is the list output for?

Cheers
Harvey

On 30/12/17 00:16, Allan Gould wrote:

> Distinguishing between own death and death as informant
>
> I have an individual (let's call her Mary to illustrate) that has an
> event for their own death (with Role as Primary), but Mary is also an
> informant for her husband's death (so she has another Death event,
> except with Role as Informant)
>
> In something like the descendant lines graphical report, Mary appears
> with two dates of death.
>
> Is there a way I can do something with the Display Format (and or the
> substitution variables) so that Mary only appears with one date of
> death (her own)?
>
> It's possible I've misunderstood how to put an event in for
> informants, if so, apologies.

You are using the Informant role correctly.

There is probably a bug in the descendant lines report.  Please open a
bug on the bug tracker.

https://gramps-project.org/bugs

On 30/12/17 11:31, Michael Stockhausen wrote:
> I therefore decided to create two different events:
> a) death record: the deceased person gets the primary role, the others
> get custom roles (widow/er, informant, father/mother, son/daughter).
> Date and place (=civil registry office or parish) of the death record
> b) death: only the person who passed away; date and place of death

This is a perfectly reasonable approach.

Re: Distinguishing between own death and death as informant

yorkshire_lad
An update: thanks for those who replied and provided feedback and ideas

My original posting and the responses are available (via nabble) at:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Distinguishing-between-own-death-and-death-as-informant-td4681248.html

Replies were:
Ron Johnson: "This is why I don't record Informants, etc."
Michael Stockhausen: Bespoke event: "This may be a bit complicated"
Nick Hall: "probably a bug in the descendant lines report"

I think I've done a bug report correctly as mentioned by Nick Hall for
descendants lines (ref 10347)

I've checked the  Ancestry Tree graphical report (as an alternative) and the
same print of both dates of death does not occur.

I think in the interim, I will stop recording Informants in this way (so
that the Informant doesn't have two Death events).  I'll continue to note
the informant as an attribute of the death event of the person who was died
(so at least it'll get recorded somewhere).  I will have to go through and
find all those people who I've recorded as informants (Role is Informant)
but that's for another day.

[...]

Looks like it's been fixed; thanks so much for all the help and for the bug
fix:

Bug report: https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10347

github:
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/commit/d289b5cbb653ebd4557f065ac47919941540d031