Documenting Military Service

Dave Gilmore
Hi all,

I am curious how others record military service in times of conflict. I
have the service record for somoene in my tree who served during WWII. I
see either recording each engagement as an event or recording the
narrative of his service as a note. How do you folks handle this?

Re: Documenting Military Service

Ron Johnson
On 9/24/19 10:14 AM, Dave Gilmore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am curious how others record military service in times of conflict. I
> have the service record for somoene in my tree who served during WWII. I
> see either recording each engagement as an event or recording the
> narrative of his service as a note. How do you folks handle this?

I do both.  If I know that Uncle Bob was in the Air Corps FROM 1942 TO 1945,
then I make a Military Service event saying that.  For others, I've got
specific date Military Service events with Descriptions like "Entry" and
"Separation" or "Release Date", when I have documents for each

My son is in the USAF, and I'm tracking where he serves using events and
date ranges, and promotions using specific date events.  (I could use Notes,
but like to see it all in Event grid format, not be hidden in notes.)

Notes are for the narrative stuff.

Re: Documenting Military Service

Reinhard John

related to Dave's question:
How do you record promotions, awards and decorations?

Kind regards
Reinhard
Am 24.09.19, 17:14, Dave Gilmore <[hidden email]> schrieb:
Hi all,

I am curious how others record military service in times of conflict. I
have the service record for somoene in my tree who served during WWII. I
see either recording each engagement as an event or recording the
narrative of his service as a note. How do you folks handle this?

Re: Documenting Military Service

Dave Scheipers
Hi Reinhard

You can add them under the event Military Service with what the event
was as the description. Or you can create custom events for each
event. Promotion, Award, etc.  The caveat is that any custom event
will not translate and most reports will group them in the custom
event area when you may want them with the main Military Service
event. See the Complete Individual Report.

Additionally, you can add the Rank in their Name records with the
progression. The name records have a date field and can be sourced.

Dave

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:44 PM Reinhard John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> related to Dave's question:
> How do you record promotions, awards and decorations?
>
> Kind regards
> Reinhard
> Am 24.09.19, 17:14, Dave Gilmore <[hidden email]> schrieb:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am curious how others record military service in times of conflict. I
>> have the service record for somoene in my tree who served during WWII. I
>> see either recording each engagement as an event or recording the
>> narrative of his service as a note. How do you folks handle this?
>>
>> Dave

Re: Documenting Military Service

Dave Gilmore
> If you don't separate the events, gramps can't show you a timeline,
> and you can't ask e.g. "where was he in 1917"

I can definitely see the logic in that. Thanks!

This person appears on several musters. Would you suggest making a
Military service event with the description "Muster" and the date the
muster was taken for each of these? Or, would you add the musters as
source citations for a single military service event that lasts from
muster to muster (if that makes sense)?

On 9/25/19 10:22 AM, Dave Gilmore wrote:
>> If you don't separate the events, gramps can't show you a timeline, and
>> you can't ask e.g. "where was he in 1917"
>
> I can definitely see the logic in that. Thanks!
>
> This person appears on several musters. Would you suggest making a
> Military service event with the description "Muster" and the date the
> muster was taken for each of these?

They're separate events, so yes.

> Or, would you add the musters as source citations for a single military
> service event that lasts from muster to muster (if that makes sense)?

Musters are point-in-time events, so even though the question makes sense, a
single Muster "event that lasts from muster to muster" is not a valid use of
the word muster.

Re: Documenting Military Service

When I have had these muster rolls, I use the span of time and put any
applicable muster record under a common event for each duty station.
I suspect your relative was in the Navy (or Marine Corps). The Naval
muster rolls show which ship they where on. And in reality, this is
the fact that you and other relatives would be interested in. The
roles prove that.

My grandfather served aboard USS LSM 279 from 31 Oct 1944 to 1 Nov
1945. There are 7 citations of muster roll and Report of Changes
supporting this fact.

But as always, this is an option. Ron offers another.

HTH Dave