Doubt

Kunjappu Abhijith.R
I would like to know if it's possible to add a different calender system in gramps. For example,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam_calendar.

This is the old calender system from my native place and even though now we use Gregorian system for pretty much everything, many people only remembers their ancestor's birthday by this system. So, is there any way to add it or find it in gramps?

Re: Doubt

Ron Johnson

The date system currently handles Gregorian, Julian, Hebrew, French
Republican, Persian, Islamic and Swedish.

So, yes, it's possible to add another calendar system.  "All it will take"
is a motivated Python programmer who understands the Malayalam calendar system.

On 03/10/2018 09:26 PM, Kunjappu Abhijith.R wrote:
> I would like to know if it's possible to add a different calender system
> in gramps. For example,
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam_calendar.
>
> This is the old calender system from my native place and even though now
> we use Gregorian system for pretty much everything, many people only
> remembers their ancestor's birthday by this system. So, is there any way
> to add it or find it in gramps?

Re: Doubt

On 11/03/18 03:26, Kunjappu Abhijith.R wrote:
> I would like to know if it's possible to add a different calender
> system in gramps. For example,
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam_calendar.
>
> This is the old calender system from my native place and even though
> now we use Gregorian system for pretty much everything, many people
> only remembers their ancestor's birthday by this system. So, is there
> any way to add it or find it in gramps?

We would need to know the rules for determining the number of days in a
month.  This would allow us to write a function to convert a date to a
number of days elapsed from a specified epoch.

The Malayalam calendar is a sidereal solar calendar, so a new month
starts at every 30 degrees of solar longitude.  There must be a formal
definition somewhere.