Dropping the mailing list

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Murray Strome
Like many others responding to this topic, I doubt that I would ever look at a forum. Thus, I definitely prefer the mailing list.

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:52:04 +0100
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>I think there's a much easier way, which is Google Groups:

Hell, no!  Worse than web forums.

--
 Regards  _
Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Craig Treleaven
At 1:57 PM +0000 1/29/15, Nick Hall wrote:

>On 29/01/15 12:49, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>>  Gramps developers seem to be considering a a proposal to do
>>  away with the Users mailing list in favour of a Users forum.
>>  I assume it's going to be put to the users and fully
>>  discussed before anything happens.
>
>Yes.  There has been a suggestion to replace the gamps-users list with a
>forum.
>
>I was going to post to this list asking for comments.  Please feel free
>to post your opinion in this thread.

Just a data point for consideration...I'm involved in another open
source project (mythtv) that added a forum about a year ago.  The
mythtv-users mailing list continues.  The mailing list and the forum
basically serve different groups.  Some users only use the mailing
list and others only the forum.  A few do both.  Different strokes
for different folks.  I would guess that Gramps would experience
mostly the same thing.

There are pluses and minuses to both formats.  Forums can have
'stickies' that highlight common issues.  Forums make it easy to
include screenshots inline in a message and sometimes a picture is
worth many thousands of ascii characters!

OTOH, a lot of people have very efficient work flows with email and
don't want to have to remember to visit a forum.

BTW, the assertion that "most forums aren't threaded" is hopelessly
wrong.  Modern forum software supports quoting and attribution just
as easily as email.  I look in on 7-8 forums on a regular basis and
I'm partial to phpBB <https://www.phpbb.com/> and vBulletin
<http://www.vbulletin.com/>.

Also, forum software normally allows one to subscribe to sub-forums
or particular topics and receive email notification of new posts.  It
pays to spend a little time learning how the packages work.  That's a
drawback of forums as each one is a little different from all the
rest.

So for me, if Gramps adds a forum, that will probably just be one
more to add to my list.  No biggie.

Craig
PS A forum makes it harder to accidentally reply off-list...which is
what I did with my first attempt at this note!
Craig Treleaven, CA -- Clearview Consulting
(905) 829-2054  [hidden email]

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Hi Brad,
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:52:04 +0100
> Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Enno,
>
>> I think there's a much easier way, which is Google Groups:
> Hell, no!  Worse than web forums.
Really? My RootsDev subscription works perfect in Thunderbird.

I have long been happy with Yahoo Groups too, but managing subscriptions
on the Yahoo site is not what it happened to be.

cheers,

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Kenneth Browne
On 01/29/2015 08:57 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
Yes.  There has been a suggestion to replace the gamps-users list with a
forum.

I was going to post to this list asking for comments.  Please feel free
to post your opinion in this thread.
I am not vehemently for or against switching to a forum. However, perhaps that's because
the forum I most often use has features some of those objecting apparently haven't experienced.
  • right click_find my posts/threads
  • checkbox to "subscribe to this thread" (i.e. receive notification of replies)
  • "Start new thread" after which all replies will be included in the thread
  • Search by "Post" or "Thread" to find archived threads/posts on a particular thread.

These features make it so I can be notified of replies, if I so choose, or search my original
post/reply to a thread to see if anyone has commented thereupon.

Ken

On 01/29/2015 03:38 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Craig
> PS A forum makes it harder to accidentally reply off-list...which is
> what I did with my first attempt at this note!
Some forums use "send a private message to" the person making a
particular post.
It is up to each forum user to set up their personal preferences as to
which users,
some/none/all can send personal messages. This is ofter routed through
a blind
forwarding source to the recipient as opposed to revealing that
person's email address.

Ken

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:44:17 +0100
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>Really? My RootsDev subscription works perfect in Thunderbird.

Yes:  It's google.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin

Re: Dropping the mailing list

jdebert
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:08:37 +0100
Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, but there are people who like fora. Now the answer is to use
> nabble http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
> but that is not that great

Nabble is interesting. Seems rather limited, though. It seems to behave
a bit like a list wrapper or front-end, giving a look and feel of a
forum to mailman-like lists. That could work out especially if it has
real mailman-like lists.

> If we move away from sourceforge, then we need to set up mailman
> somewhere else. If a tool like http://www.discourse.org/faq/ could be
> an interesting alternative instead of mailman+nabble, should we
> investigate or not?

No idea about discourse and they don't do a very good job of describing
what it's like. Seems like it will have to be set up and run by someone
to find out what it's all about. It's also very javascript heavy and
doesn't seem to always work. Also have no idea about it's
vulnerabilities.

What about Yahoo Groups or Google Groups? They both use lists and have
a forum front-end.

Seems as if there's nothing else available that isn't a compromise,
that won't lose features or create new problems.

jd

Re: Dropping the mailing list

On 01/29/2015 02:38 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
[snip]
> Craig PS A forum makes it harder to accidentally reply off-list...which is
> what I did with my first attempt at this note!

That's a function of (right thinking) mailing list configuration; munging
the "Reply-To" would eliminate that problem for people who do not have mail
clients that have Reply-to-List (for example, Outlook, Gmail & Yahoo).
Crotchety old-timers have thought it harmful for quite a while.  (Of course,
we also despaired of the Eternal September which ruined Usenet...)

Sadly, it might be time to "think wrong", and mis-configure the list (if the
Gramps people even have control over it).

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: Dropping the mailing list

On 01/29/2015 04:01 PM, jdebert wrote:
[snip]
> No idea about discourse and they don't do a very good job of describing
> what it's like. Seems like it will have to be set up and run by someone to
> find out what it's all about. It's also very javascript heavy and doesn't
> seem to always work. Also have no idea about it's vulnerabilities.

But... they're *civilized*!  They "nudge" you when you say something
naughty.  What could be better than that?!?!?

On 29/01/15 22:05, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> Craig PS A forum makes it harder to accidentally reply off-list...which is
>> >what I did with my first attempt at this note!
> That's a function of (right thinking) mailing list configuration; munging
> the "Reply-To" would eliminate that problem for people who do not have mail
> clients that have Reply-to-List (for example, Outlook, Gmail & Yahoo).
> Crotchety old-timers have thought it harmful for quite a while.  (Of course,
> we also despaired of the Eternal September which ruined Usenet...)
>
> Sadly, it might be time to "think wrong", and mis-configure the list (if the
> Gramps people even have control over it).

We do have control over it, but I don't plan to change the current
reply-to setting.  Our mailing lists run on mailman 2.1.9.

Re: Dropping the mailing list

chrisbagley
Hi all

Like I guess everyone else I have used forums and mailing lists but I find
mailing lists most useful.  I think that's because, using the push pull
description someone provided earlier, I like the push alternative of mailing
list because the mailing list comes to me continually whereas I have to
remember to look at the forums. So for someone essentially lazy, i.e.
myself, the mailing list is best.

regards

Chris

Re: Dropping the mailing list

There is a Gramps users community on Google+. Mostly just update announcements, but that is caused by little activity at present.  All Gramps users using Google+ are welcome to join.

which is used for announcements

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Graham Peter Davis
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:49:02 +0000
Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Users,
>
> Gramps developers seem to be considering a a proposal to do
> away with the Users mailing list in favour of a Users forum.
> I assume it's going to be put to the users and fully
> discussed before anything happens.

Looks like a step backwards to me. I've been forced into using the
occasional forum over the past twenty years and, in the vast majority
of instances, I've seen few advantages in them. They each have their
own interfaces which behave differently to the next. If they support
threading, it's usually only for one level and they often don't allow
collapsing of the threads. Some don't even register whether you've read
an article or not and even if they do, marking all or a thread as read
is either not possible or is so well hidden that it becomes next to
impossible.

Having said that, I'm not overly fond of mailing lists but at least I
can access most through NNTP via gmane.org.

The advantage of NNTP over forums is that in addition to the
facilities I've listed above that forums usually lack, I can view all
newsgroups using a single interface. I'm using "claws" now and can see
at one glance at a single screen how many new messages I have in mail,
newsgroups (a couple-of-dozen of these) and RSS feeds.

I vote NO to forums - though I suspect you've guessed that by now.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
OS: Linux: openSUSE Tumbleweed (64-bit); KDE 4.14.4; Kernel: 3.18.3

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Nicholas Robinson
Hi

What I like about the mailing list is I can quickly delete if I’m busy, but browse if I have more time. A bit selfish, I know, but I almost certainly wouldn’t ever think to go and browse on the forum and I suspect I’d miss quite a lot of useful stuff as a result.

Nick

On 30/01/15 09:02, Benny Malengier wrote:
There is a Gramps users community on Google+. Mostly just update announcements, but that is caused by little activity at present.  All Gramps users using Google+ are welcome to join.

Perhaps we could add a Google+ section on our "Contact" page:

https://gramps-project.org/contact/

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Helge.Privat
Helge
Am 30.01.2015 19:13, schrieb Nicholas Robinson:
> Hi
>
> What I like about the mailing list is I can quickly delete if I’m busy, but browse if I have more time. A bit selfish, I know, but I almost certainly wouldn’t ever think to go and browse on the forum and I suspect I’d miss quite a lot of useful stuff as a result.
1+
> Nick

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Laura Lambert
Agreed.  Although I've also been known to let them collect in a folder until I have a chance to go through them, as well as deleting the ones that I'm not currently interested in following.