Dropping the mailing list

Re: Dropping the mailing list

TJMcK
Well, after reading this whole thread it seems that all you mailing list users want to keep the mailing list.

Maybe I can start something here: :)   (And if nothing else I'm just voicing my opinion.)  I hate the mailing list.  I never use it (other then searching for an answer).  I always feel that the mailing list is obsolete and cumbersome, even archaic.  Mailing lists seem to have be around since forever (1980's??)!  (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

With that said, I'll just continue using Nabble... I can live with the way things are...  not a big deal for me.

Re: Dropping the mailing list

Graham P Davis
On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:23:07 -0600
Laura Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe the correct response to that is that, "one size does not
> fit all".  Meaning that while a great number of people on the list do
> prefer email lists, not everyone is going to like them.  Personally
> they are my preferred choice, I don't care if they are from the
> 1990's, (or earlier), for me the old adage of "if it isn't broke,
> don't fix it" applies.

I stopped using one brand of software in the 1990s because the firm
closed its help newsgroups on NNTP and switched to using forums. I
don't get why people think forums are new.

--
Graham Davis  [Retired Fortran programmer - now a mere computer user]
openSUSE Tumbleweed (64-bit); KDE 4.14.4; Kernel: 3.18.3;

Re: Dropping the mailing list

jdebert
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:02:19 +0000
Graham P Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:23:07 -0600
> Laura Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I believe the correct response to that is that, "one size does not
> > fit all".  Meaning that while a great number of people on the list
> > do prefer email lists, not everyone is going to like them.
> > Personally they are my preferred choice, I don't care if they are
> > from the 1990's, (or earlier), for me the old adage of "if it isn't
> > broke, don't fix it" applies.
>
> I stopped using one brand of software in the 1990s because the firm
> closed its help newsgroups on NNTP and switched to using forums. I
> don't get why people think forums are new.

FOrums are just prettified bbs's.

If yahoo and google can do both together without problems, you'd think
someone else would have come up with a free equivalent but apparently
not. They seem to focus on fancy forums and neglect list functionality
or vice versa. As frustrating as trying to find functional
spreadsheets for linux in 1993.

jd