DynamicWeb Report

Hi All

When I run this report and then look at an individual looking in the
event column say I have an event Census (or any event for that matter) I
get muliple of the little blue buttons with the text 1a or 2a etc can
have 10, 15, 20 or more buttons which all with same label

How can I stop this

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: DynamicWeb Report

J. Allen Crider-2
After looking at a few entries from my tree, it appears that a reference
button is added for each attribute on the event which is why you see so
many buttons for Census events.  But I can't find any setting to remove
the extra buttons.

Allen

Re: DynamicWeb Report

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Allen

Thanks for confirming that I am not alone, will carry on looking for the
answer

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 22/04/2018 20:02, J. Allen Crider wrote:

> After looking at a few entries from my tree, it appears that a reference
> button is added for each attribute on the event which is why you see so
> many buttons for Census events.  But I can't find any setting to remove
> the extra buttons.
>
> Allen

Re: DynamicWeb Report

Dave Scheipers
Hi Phil

Those 'buttons' are for each Source Citation on the event, Clicking
them jumps you to that part of the page.

HTH, Dave

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM, phil wharram via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Allen
>
> Thanks for confirming that I am not alone, will carry on looking for the
> answer
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 22/04/2018 20:02, J. Allen Crider wrote:
>>
>> After looking at a few entries from my tree, it appears that a reference
>> button is added for each attribute on the event which is why you see so many
>> buttons for Census events.  But I can't find any setting to remove the extra
>> buttons.
>>
>> Allen

Re: DynamicWeb Report

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Dave

In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source
page at no particular citation

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 22/04/2018 22:33, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Phil
>
> Those 'buttons' are for each Source Citation on the event, Clicking
> them jumps you to that part of the page.
>
> HTH, Dave
>
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM, phil wharram via Gramps-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Allen
>>
>> Thanks for confirming that I am not alone, will carry on looking for the
>> answer
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>> On 22/04/2018 20:02, J. Allen Crider wrote:
>>>
>>> After looking at a few entries from my tree, it appears that a reference
>>> button is added for each attribute on the event which is why you see so many
>>> buttons for Census events.  But I can't find any setting to remove the extra
>>> buttons.
>>>
>>> Allen

Re: DynamicWeb Report

Dave Scheipers
I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
them for the person.

The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
that source.

There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM, phil wharram
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source page at
> no particular citation
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
>
> On 22/04/2018 22:33, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi Phil
>>
>> Those 'buttons' are for each Source Citation on the event, Clicking
>> them jumps you to that part of the page.
>>
>> HTH, Dave
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM, phil wharram via Gramps-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Allen
>>>
>>> Thanks for confirming that I am not alone, will carry on looking for the
>>> answer
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Phil
>>> MLFHS 12583
>>> Dumfries

Re: DynamicWeb Report

J. Allen Crider-2
If you would like to see some examples of what I am seeing, you can find
my report at
http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/index.html.  Here
is one example that shows numerous identical buttons for the 1820, 1830,
and 1840 U.S. Censuses:
http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/person.html?p=source.html&idx=30355&mdx=49&sdx=92&ndx=1391

To find other examples, open the Sources index, select a census (the
U.S. census sources are near the end of the list on pages 2 and 3;  I'm
still working at re-entering information in the Forms add-on and I
haven't gotten to a lot of state census records yet), open the citation
and select any person linked to a citation that has media objects.  It
will be obvious what is going on from any of those.

I haven't checked enough pages to determine whether I have any events
other than Census events that exhibit this behavior, but I haven't made
good use of attributes anywhere else and my initial guess is that only
events with attributes are affected.

Allen Crider

On 04/23/2018 07:07 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
> also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
> area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
> them for the person.
>
> The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
> The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
> that source.
>
> There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM, phil wharram
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave
>>
>> In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source page at
>> no particular citation
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>>
>> On 22/04/2018 22:33, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Phil
>>>
>>> Those 'buttons' are for each Source Citation on the event, Clicking
>>> them jumps you to that part of the page.
>>>
>>> HTH, Dave

Re: DynamicWeb Report

Dave Scheipers
Hi Allen,

When you Source the Census event, do you attach the citation to the
main event and also attach the same citation to all the attributes?
The count of citations equals the attributes plus one for the main
entry.

Each of those citations gets its own link. I suppose they should
properly follow the attribute. I remember seeing a youtube video where
someone demonstrates entering events and sourcing it. He attached the
same citation to all the attributes.

For my own use, I source the event but not things attached to the
event. In the case of the census, All the data points are assumed to
come from the Census record.

HTH, Dave

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 8:28 AM, J. Allen Crider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you would like to see some examples of what I am seeing, you can find my
> report at http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/index.html.
> Here is one example that shows numerous identical buttons for the 1820,
> 1830, and 1840 U.S. Censuses:
> http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/person.html?p=source.html&idx=30355&mdx=49&sdx=92&ndx=1391
>
> To find other examples, open the Sources index, select a census (the U.S.
> census sources are near the end of the list on pages 2 and 3;  I'm still
> working at re-entering information in the Forms add-on and I haven't gotten
> to a lot of state census records yet), open the citation and select any
> person linked to a citation that has media objects.  It will be obvious what
> is going on from any of those.
>
> I haven't checked enough pages to determine whether I have any events other
> than Census events that exhibit this behavior, but I haven't made good use
> of attributes anywhere else and my initial guess is that only events with
> attributes are affected.
>
> Allen Crider
>

> On 04/23/2018 07:07 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
>> also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
>> area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
>> them for the person.
>>
>> The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
>> The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
>> that source.
>>
>> There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM, phil wharram
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source page
>>> at
>>> no particular citation
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Phil
>>> MLFHS 12583
>>> Dumfries

Re: DynamicWeb Report

Hi Dave

Quick follow up, 1a goes to top of page, 2a to top of section 2, 3a to
top of section 3 and so on. Only found this by selecting one individual
with a lot of citations

Yes I attach citation to each attribute so on a birth if father is the
father and also the informant then there will be two attributes
Really each button only needs to occur once but maybe that requires a
lot of work to reprogram.

I like the basic report a lot so can live with the foibles I have a long
way to go before I use it for anything but myself

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 23/04/2018 13:07, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
> also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
> area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
> them for the person.
>
> The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
> The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
> that source.
>
> There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM, phil wharram
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave
>>
>> In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source page at
>> no particular citation
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>>
>> On 22/04/2018 22:33, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Phil
>>>
>>> Those 'buttons' are for each Source Citation on the event, Clicking
>>> them jumps you to that part of the page.
>>>
>>> HTH, Dave

Re: DynamicWeb Report

J. Allen Crider-2
I use the Forms add-on to create the Census event, and I haven't looked
at the code recently so I don't know exactly what it does.  But I was
not aware that it was even possible to attach a citation to an
attribute.  If I look at the Citations view in Gramps, the only
references listed for a census citation are the event and the people the
event is attached to.  If I open the Event editor for any event, there
is only one place to enter a source citation and I assume that would
only be attached to the event, not the individual attributes.

Allen

On 04/23/2018 08:20 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Allen,
>
> When you Source the Census event, do you attach the citation to the
> main event and also attach the same citation to all the attributes?
> The count of citations equals the attributes plus one for the main
> entry.
>
> Each of those citations gets its own link. I suppose they should
> properly follow the attribute. I remember seeing a youtube video where
> someone demonstrates entering events and sourcing it. He attached the
> same citation to all the attributes.
>
> For my own use, I source the event but not things attached to the
> event. In the case of the census, All the data points are assumed to
> come from the Census record.
>
> HTH, Dave
>

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 8:28 AM, J. Allen Crider
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you would like to see some examples of what I am seeing, you can find my
>> report at http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/index.html.
>> Here is one example that shows numerous identical buttons for the 1820,
>> 1830, and 1840 U.S. Censuses:
>> http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/person.html?p=source.html&idx=30355&mdx=49&sdx=92&ndx=1391
>>
>> To find other examples, open the Sources index, select a census (the U.S.
>> census sources are near the end of the list on pages 2 and 3;  I'm still
>> working at re-entering information in the Forms add-on and I haven't gotten
>> to a lot of state census records yet), open the citation and select any
>> person linked to a citation that has media objects.  It will be obvious what
>> is going on from any of those.
>>
>> I haven't checked enough pages to determine whether I have any events other
>> than Census events that exhibit this behavior, but I haven't made good use
>> of attributes anywhere else and my initial guess is that only events with
>> attributes are affected.
>>
>> Allen Crider
>>

>> On 04/23/2018 07:07 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>>
>>> I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
>>> also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
>>> area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
>>> them for the person.
>>>
>>> The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
>>> The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
>>> that source.
>>>
>>> There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.

Re: DynamicWeb Report

Dave Scheipers
Hi Allen

I do not use the Form gramplet so I have no knowledge of its particulars.

But check the Attributes. Based upon the number of citations per
event, this is probably where the extra citations are hiding.

I just tested it on myself. I just sourced the attribute of the Time I
was born. The additional citation link showed up in the Dynamic web.
When I checked the Reference list for the citation, it only showed the
event and does not 'reference' the attribute.

FYI: In addition to adding a sources to an attribute, notes can also be added.

Dave

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:54 AM, J. Allen Crider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use the Forms add-on to create the Census event, and I haven't looked at
> the code recently so I don't know exactly what it does.  But I was not aware
> that it was even possible to attach a citation to an attribute.  If I look
> at the Citations view in Gramps, the only references listed for a census
> citation are the event and the people the event is attached to.  If I open
> the Event editor for any event, there is only one place to enter a source
> citation and I assume that would only be attached to the event, not the
> individual attributes.
>
> Allen
>

> On 04/23/2018 08:20 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi Allen,
>>
>> When you Source the Census event, do you attach the citation to the
>> main event and also attach the same citation to all the attributes?
>> The count of citations equals the attributes plus one for the main
>> entry.
>>
>> Each of those citations gets its own link. I suppose they should
>> properly follow the attribute. I remember seeing a youtube video where
>> someone demonstrates entering events and sourcing it. He attached the
>> same citation to all the attributes.
>>
>> For my own use, I source the event but not things attached to the
>> event. In the case of the census, All the data points are assumed to
>> come from the Census record.
>>
>> HTH, Dave
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 8:28 AM, J. Allen Crider
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you would like to see some examples of what I am seeing, you can find
>>> my
>>> report at
>>> http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/index.html.
>>> Here is one example that shows numerous identical buttons for the 1820,
>>> 1830, and 1840 U.S. Censuses:
>>>
>>> http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/dynamic/person.html?p=source.html&idx=30355&mdx=49&sdx=92&ndx=1391
>>>
>>> To find other examples, open the Sources index, select a census (the U.S.
>>> census sources are near the end of the list on pages 2 and 3;  I'm still
>>> working at re-entering information in the Forms add-on and I haven't
>>> gotten
>>> to a lot of state census records yet), open the citation and select any
>>> person linked to a citation that has media objects.  It will be obvious
>>> what
>>> is going on from any of those.
>>>
>>> I haven't checked enough pages to determine whether I have any events
>>> other
>>> than Census events that exhibit this behavior, but I haven't made good
>>> use
>>> of attributes anywhere else and my initial guess is that only events with
>>> attributes are affected.
>>>
>>> Allen Crider

Re: DynamicWeb Report

I understand that right now you can live with these duplicate
citations per event. But thinking long term, if you want to
consolidate these citations to one per event, today you have fewer
records to edit than you will have in a month... year....

Not telling you what to do, we each have to set up our processes for
ourselves, do what works for us. But that you started this
conversation noting something you were not pleased with, fixing a
smaller list of records today is easier than later.

I started with the NarrativeWeb as my goto way of sharing the
genealogy with relatives. With smartphones and ipads, the Dynamic does
seems a better option.

Dave

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM, phil wharram
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Quick follow up, 1a goes to top of page, 2a to top of section 2, 3a to top
> of section 3 and so on. Only found this by selecting one individual with a
> lot of citations
>
> Yes I attach citation to each attribute so on a birth if father is the
> father and also the informant then there will be two attributes
> Really each button only needs to occur once but maybe that requires a lot of
> work to reprogram.
>
> I like the basic report a lot so can live with the foibles I have a long way
> to go before I use it for anything but myself
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
>
> On 23/04/2018 13:07, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
>> also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
>> area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
>> them for the person.
>>
>> The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
>> The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
>> that source.
>>
>> There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM, phil wharram
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source page
>>> at
>>> no particular citation
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Phil
>>> MLFHS 12583
>>> Dumfries

Re: DynamicWeb Report

prculley
If you want to experiment, you could find the file  C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps50\plugins\DynamicWeb\dynamicweb.py (assuming Gramps v5.0.0-beta1 and windows) or ~/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/DynamicWeb/dynamicweb.py (assuming Gramps v5.0.0-beta1 and linux) and replace the lines starting at 1121
            citationlist = event.get_citation_list()
            citationlist.extend(event_ref.get_citation_list())
            for attr in attrlist: citationlist.extend(attr.get_citation_list())
with
            citationlist = set(event.get_citation_list())
            citationlist.update(event_ref.get_citation_list())
            for attr in attrlist: citationlist.update(attr.get_citation_list())

That would prevent duplicate citation references for the events.

P.S. if you are using Gramps v4.2.8 the lines start at 1118 and you use gramps42 instead of gramps50 in the file location.

Paul C.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Quick follow up, 1a goes to top of page, 2a to top of section 2, 3a to top
> of section 3 and so on. Only found this by selecting one individual with a
> lot of citations
>
> Yes I attach citation to each attribute so on a birth if father is the
> father and also the informant then there will be two attributes
> Really each button only needs to occur once but maybe that requires a lot of
> work to reprogram.
>
> I like the basic report a lot so can live with the foibles I have a long way
> to go before I use it for anything but myself
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
>
> On 23/04/2018 13:07, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> I created a small DynamicWeb report to confirm what you were seeing. I
>> also noticed that it only jumped to the top of the Source/Citation
>> area of the page but with only a few citations, I was seeing all of
>> them for the person.
>>
>> The number-letter combo is the same used throughout gramps reports.
>> The number refers to the Source, and the letter to the citation under
>> that source.
>>
>> There was a check box to ignore sources when generating the web pages.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM, phil wharram
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> In my case each and every button just jumps to the top of the source page
>>> at
>>> no particular citation
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Phil
>>> MLFHS 12583
>>> Dumfries

Re: DynamicWeb Report

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Paul

Worked an absolute treat on Linux, Gramps 5 beta the whole balance of
the screen works better with the event column now not dominating

Never expected a fix so quickly, the benefits of open source and an
active community I use the Forms Gramplet all the time and I think this
will benefit anyone who does so

Thank you so much hope not to be bothering anybody for a while need to
get all my data sorted and standardised

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 23/04/2018 18:07, Paul Culley wrote:

> If you want to experiment, you could find the file
> C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps50\plugins\DynamicWeb\dynamicweb.py
> (assuming Gramps v5.0.0-beta1 and windows) or
> ~/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/DynamicWeb/dynamicweb.py (assuming Gramps
> v5.0.0-beta1 and linux) and replace the lines starting at 1121
>              citationlist = event.get_citation_list()
>              citationlist.extend(event_ref.get_citation_list())
>              for attr in attrlist:
> citationlist.extend(attr.get_citation_list())
> with
>              citationlist = set(event.get_citation_list())
>              citationlist.update(event_ref.get_citation_list())
>              for attr in attrlist:
> citationlist.update(attr.get_citation_list())
>
> That would prevent duplicate citation references for the events.
>
> P.S. if you are using Gramps v4.2.8 the lines start at 1118 and you use
> gramps42 instead of gramps50 in the file location.
>
> Paul C.
>

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I understand that right now you can live with these duplicate
>> citations per event. But thinking long term, if you want to
>> consolidate these citations to one per event, today you have fewer
>> records to edit than you will have in a month... year....
>>
>> Not telling you what to do, we each have to set up our processes for
>> ourselves, do what works for us. But that you started this
>> conversation noting something you were not pleased with, fixing a
>> smaller list of records today is easier than later.
>>
>> I started with the NarrativeWeb as my goto way of sharing the
>> genealogy with relatives. With smartphones and ipads, the Dynamic does
>> seems a better option.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM, phil wharram
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dave
>>>
>>> Quick follow up, 1a goes to top of page, 2a to top of section 2, 3a to
>> top
>>> of section 3 and so on. Only found this by selecting one individual with
>>> lot of citations
>>>
>>> Yes I attach citation to each attribute so on a birth if father is the
>>> father and also the informant then there will be two attributes
>>> Really each button only needs to occur once but maybe that requires a
>> lot of
>>> work to reprogram.
>>>
>>> I like the basic report a lot so can live with the foibles I have a long
>> way
>>> to go before I use it for anything but myself
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Phil
>>> MLFHS 12583
>>> Dumfries

>> page

>> the

Re: DynamicWeb Report

J. Allen Crider-2
Worked fine in Gramps 4.2.8.  Makes pages look better.  Thanks.