EOFError

Michel LEDAC
I killed Gramps after a hangup and when I restart I have the following
message:

GRAMPS : 2.0.8-1
LANG : en_US@euro
LANGUAGE : en_US@euro:en_US:en
Python : 2.4.0 final
GTK : 2.6.4
PyGTK : 2.4.1
OS : Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gramps/gramps_main.py", line 1309, in read_file
    if self.load_database(filename,callback,mode=mode) == 1:
  File "/usr/share/gramps/gramps_main.py", line 1850, in load_database
    if self.db.load(filename,callback,mode) == 0:
  File "/usr/share/gramps/GrampsBSDDB.py", line 192, in load
    gstats = self.metadata.get('gender_stats')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/bsddb/dbshelve.py", line 174, in get
    return cPickle.loads(data)
EOFError

Besides bug submission, I have another question:
is there a way to recover data?

Thanks,
Michel.

Re: EOFError

Alex Roitman
Michel,

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 13:54 +0200, Michel LEDAC wrote:

> I killed Gramps after a hangup and when I restart I have the following
> message:
>
> GRAMPS : 2.0.8-1
> LANG : en_US@euro
> LANGUAGE : en_US@euro:en_US:en
> Python : 2.4.0 final
> GTK : 2.6.4
> PyGTK : 2.4.1
> OS : Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/gramps_main.py", line 1309, in read_file
>     if self.load_database(filename,callback,mode=mode) == 1:
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/gramps_main.py", line 1850, in load_database
>     if self.db.load(filename,callback,mode) == 0:
>   File "/usr/share/gramps/GrampsBSDDB.py", line 192, in load
>     gstats = self.metadata.get('gender_stats')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/bsddb/dbshelve.py", line 174, in get
>     return cPickle.loads(data)
> EOFError
>
> Besides bug submission, I have another question:
> is there a way to recover data?
Seems that the data file is truncated. Whatever is not written into it
is probably lost. However, since the message is about missing/corrupted
metadata, there's hope that the real data might be intact. The metadata
can be re-generated, as long as the real data is there.

Please send me the grdb file and Don and I will see what we can do to
recover it.

As a side note, the most prudent way of keeping your GRAMPS data safe
is working with grdb format (as you were) and periodically exporting
into XML and laying away the XML copy. The more frequently you do that,
the less will be lost if/when a disaster happens. The XML data should
keep all information from GRDB without any loss. The good thing is also
to check your XML files after export, just to make sure that it exported
OK. This really goes for any kind of any backup: backup often, check
the backups, better safe than sorry.

Alex