Easy diags from Windows run?

Paul Smith

I’m using gramps on Windows 10 and find that the narrated web report fails claiming ‘invalid argument’.  I’ve managed to enabling logging by running from the command line and enabling the “” logger but although this creates lots of output, nothing jumps out as an error.

I see that it is possible to generate debugging info if I were starting gramps via Python (instead of the compiled exes) but it seems that installing source and all dependent libraries on Windows is far from trivial.

So is there a way that I’ve not spotted to get debugging info from the Windows exes?  Happy to do a little hackery (I program for a living).

Thanks,

Paul DS.

P.S. I’ve got a Virtualbox CentOS image and will try and install gramps on there and see whether the Linux version gives the same error.

Re: Easy diags from Windows run?

prculley
Doing debug on the default Windows AIO is decidedly difficult, there is not much that can be easily done beyond sticking print statements in the Python code, or maybe adding pdb breakpoints.  That said, we are glad you are trying to assist with some debug.  For most errors, Gramps puts up an error dialog with the python stack dump; we can usually use this with a bit of background to figure out what is going on.

There is sometimes a useful bit of error display available after an error if you click on the an icon in the lower left corner of the main Gramps page.

I would encourage you to use the Gramps Bugtracker https://gramps-project.org/bugs/bug_report_page.php  which has a form to fill out and a place to indicate how to reproduce, what version, etc.
For this specific error, you can tell us at what point the error message occurred (as options were filled, with progress meter at a certain phase/point etc.).  It may eventually be necessary to upload a copy of your tree to assist us in reproducing.

If you want to debug yourself, Linux is definitely easier, in that the various dependencies are installed as part of the standard install.  At which point you can start making changes to the Gramps Python code, or using any of a number of development tools (I use Eclipse/Pydev).

If you eventually want to go further, you can install git sources and work with our code in progress.

If you are up for a more serious challenge and a bunch of time, you can install a development environment on Windows (I personally do most of my development there).  See Gramps_for_Windows_with_MSYS2.

Paul C.