Editing a marriage

Peter Flynn
How do I correct the date of a marriage?

If I bring up one of the partners and try to edit the event, it does not
show the date or anywhere to edit it.

I note from past forums posts that the management of marriages
(specifically) is very non-obvious. Are there plans to make it simpler
to access (like a button between the partners saying "Edit relationshp
details"

///Peter

Re: Editing a marriage

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:01:47 +0000
Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

>If I bring up one of the partners and try to edit the event, it does not
>show the date or anywhere to edit it.

From the person view; Open either partner's window, click on the
marriage, to open the Family window, then open the Events tab and select
the marriage.

In Relationship view; Select 'Edit Family', then open the Events tab and
select the marriage.

Either method gets you to the same place.

I also add the marriage (copying the family event via clipboard) to each
person, with type Groom, Bride or Witness as appropriate.  Then I add
applicable Reference Information (as opposed to Shared Information)
attributes - Age and Condition (bachelor, spinster, etc.)  Witness
doesn't really require Attributes, of course.  When the marriage is added
to each partner in this way, you can also open that copy of the event and
change the date there - it will be reflected everywhere else, assuming
it really is the same event (IOW, has the same ID).

--
 Regards  _
Well I don't want you to think I'm being obscene

Re: Editing a marriage

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:01:47 +0000
Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

>I note from past forums posts that the management of marriages
>(specifically) is very non-obvious.

Not _very_.  Not even slightly, IMO.

I've never had trouble with the concept of a Family event.

--
 Regards  _
That's what I call you

Re: Editing a marriage

On 11/08/2018 04:01 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> How do I correct the date of a marriage?
>
> If I bring up one of the partners and try to edit the event, it does not
> show the date or anywhere to edit it.
>
> I note from past forums posts that the management of marriages
> (specifically) is very non-obvious. Are there plans to make it simpler
> to access (like a button between the partners saying "Edit relationshp
> details"

 From the Person View, when I edit a person who has Marriage Events in the
"Family" section of the Person event editor, click on one of those events
brings up the Family event editor for the relevant edit.  From there, edit
the Family to your heart's content.

v4.2.8 if it makes any difference.

Re: Editing a marriage

Peter Flynn
On 08/11/2018 22:22, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:01:47 +0000
> Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,
>
>> If I bring up one of the partners and try to edit the event, it does not
>> show the date or anywhere to edit it.
>
> From the person view; Open either partner's window, click on the
> marriage, to open the Family window, then open the Events tab and select
> the marriage.

Aaaah. OK, many thanks. Well hidden. I shall have to try and remember this.

I think part of the problem is that the tab headings are all greyed out
except the active one. Greying out is a convention meaning "nothing
here", so I never clicked on them. The presence of an icon beside the
tab name seems to be used as the indicator of content.

> I also add the marriage (copying the family event via clipboard) to each
> person, with type Groom, Bride or Witness as appropriate.

I can see why. I think there is an overwhelming case for this to be
automatic in the case of bride and groom.

> When the marriage is added to each partner in this way, you can also
> open that copy of the event and change the date there - it will be
> reflected everywhere else, assuming it really is the same event (IOW,
> has the same ID).
I was expecting it to be there by virtue of the marriage event having
been created. Is there some genealogical rule that bride and groom may
not automatically be married to one another in all cases?

On 08/11/2018 22:24, Brad Rogers wrote:

> I've never had trouble with the concept of a Family event.

Nor me, but not being able to FIND it to edit is a problem with the
affordances.

///Peter

Re: Editing a marriage

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:02:51 +0000
Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

>On 08/11/2018 22:22, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> From the person view; Open either partner's window, click on the
>> marriage, to open the Family window, then open the Events tab and
>> select the marriage.
>Aaaah. OK, many thanks. Well hidden. I shall have to try and remember

Perhaps I come at this from a different perspective;  I've only ever
used Gramps, so don't know how other programs manage it.  It just never
seemed to me to be hidden.

>I think part of the problem is that the tab headings are all greyed out
>except the active one. Greying out is a convention meaning "nothing
>here", so I never clicked on them. The presence of an icon beside the
>tab name seems to be used as the indicator of content.

Greyed out as unavailable, in my mind at least, only applies to menus.
Elsewhere, it indicates inactive view.  A subtle distinction, perhaps.
Also, depending on your theme, the tab text may be in bold, indicating
presence of items.

>> I also add the marriage (copying the family event via clipboard) to
>> each person, with type Groom, Bride or Witness as appropriate.
>I can see why. I think there is an overwhelming case for this to be
>automatic in the case of bride and groom.

In which case, try the Forms Gramplet.  It has UK Birth, Marriage and
Death as form types (as well as many others) which may do this for you.
I don't use UKBirth, because it adds people I don't want it to.  The
Marriage form certainly adds witnesses.  Sadly, it doesn't add it to
Bride or Groom as a Person event, only in the Family Event section.  I
never did try the Death form type.

>I was expecting it to be there by virtue of the marriage event having
>been created. Is there some genealogical rule that bride and groom may
>not automatically be married to one another in all cases?

None that I'm aware of.  I think it's just the Gramps way of things.
That is to say, it's probably just different from what you might be used
to.  As with anything, there's a learning curve.  Thankfully, the Gramps
curve isn't too steep (IMO, of course).

--
 Regards  _
Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry

Re: Editing a marriage

On 11/09/2018 06:02 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
[snip]
Is there some genealogical rule that bride and groom may
not automatically be married to one another in all cases?

While I can't think of any way for there to be Marriage events without being Married (it's a bit of a tautology), Family objects regularly get created without an associated Marriage.

Re: Editing a marriage

Peter Flynn
On 09/11/2018 13:06, Brad Rogers wrote:
[...]
> Perhaps I come at this from a different perspective;  I've only ever
> used Gramps, so don't know how other programs manage it.  It just never
> seemed to me to be hidden.

I haven't used much else. It's probably just me -- I expected to have
access to editing the marriage details in a Family window (the one with
the father on the LH side and the mother on the RH side) right where it
says Relationship Information: Type: Married.

> Greyed out as unavailable, in my mind at least, only applies to menus.
> Elsewhere, it indicates inactive view.  A subtle distinction, perhaps.
> Also, depending on your theme, the tab text may be in bold, indicating
> presence of items.

That would be good.

> In which case, try the Forms Gramplet.  It has UK Birth, Marriage and
> Death as form types (as well as many others) which may do this for you.

I'm not in the UK, so that might not apply.

> None that I'm aware of.  I think it's just the Gramps way of things.
> That is to say, it's probably just different from what you might be used
> to.

Not really used to anything else.

> As with anything, there's a learning curve.  Thankfully, the Gramps
> curve isn't too steep (IMO, of course).

No, it's pretty good, and generally I have no problem with it. I just
think it needs a few things making more obvious, and a few very minor
tweaks to the UI, such as the location search window should make the
search entry field the focus (it's what you popped it up for, right?).

Re: Editing a marriage

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I waffle on the focus in the Add lists.  The current default is an interactive Search-As-You-Type function. So you can just start typing and the list will scroll to the first matching instance. Press the down cursor key and it goes to the next match.

Personally, I like that the interactive mode is the default.

The 'Find', on the other hand, filters to show ALL matching instances.

Personally, I like that the interactive mode is the default.

Version 5 changed the Find behavior slightly. In previous versions, the 'Clear' button reset the entire window. It flushed the selection and moved to the top of the list.

The new behavior makes is easier to drill down in the 'Place Tree'. Now, if you've selected a Tree item and press Clear, the unfiltered Place Tree is shown but scrolled be centered on that selected Tree item.

How is this helpful? Say that you know the place is in a county of Pennsylvania, USA, North America but don't remember the extact name or the particular county. So, search for substring of the state name like 'nsylv', click the Pennsylvania & the 'Clear' button and drill down to the desired item.

This new method saves having to expand the continent, then the US, then scrolling to the 'P's in the state list. It's also a nice shortcut when you KNOW the county exists in your list but not if the township in the county has been created.

I hope we'll see some further refinements in the future... currently Gramps is VERY mouse centric. If would be nice if Ctrl-F would change the focus to the Find field. And then if Tabbing & shift Tabbing through the window events was supported.

But both of those would have to be added throughout the program or the behavior would would feel unpredictable. And that's a major development project.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 16:42, Peter Flynn

> In  Gramps
> curve isn't too steep (IMO, of course).

No, it's pretty good, and generally I have no problem with it. I just think it needs a few things making more obvious, and a few very minor tweaks to the UI, such as the location search window should make the
search entry field the focus (it's what you popped it up for, right?).

Re: Editing a marriage

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 22:39:23 +0000
Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Peter,

>I haven't used much else. It's probably just me -- I expected to have
>access to editing the marriage details in a Family window (the one with
>the father on the LH side and the mother on the RH side) right where it
>says Relationship Information: Type: Married.

Now you mention it, it's a fairly obvious wish.  There are other
oddities/inconsistencies, too.  One that is obvious (even to me) is that
the icons for adding either an existing or new Place can switch position
in different views.  Sometimes New Place is on the left, sometimes on
the right.  After a short while, I got used to it.

>> In which case, try the Forms Gramplet.  It has UK Birth, Marriage and
>> Death as form types (as well as many others) which may do this for
>I'm not in the UK, so that might not apply.

I have a few historic Irish certificates and the format is near
identical.  That said, you don't *have* to fill in all the info that the
Form allows, and even if there are differences that the existing forms
don't account for, you can modify them to suit;  Just use a different
name, and keep them in your own file in the Form plugin directory
and call it custom.xml - Gramps looks for this on start up.

--
 Regards  _
Bet you thought you knew what I was about

Re: Editing a marriage

Michael Stockhausen

>> In which case, try the Forms Gramplet.  It has UK Birth, Marriage and
>> Death as form types (as well as many others) which may do this for you.

>I'm not in the UK, so that might not apply.

Peter,

You can create your own forms, that is fairly easy - even for non-techies
(like me)

I copied form.xml (in
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps42\plugins\Form), renamed it
to custom.xml, deleted everything I don't need and adapted the UK forms
according to my own needs.
That was not difficult at all, and it works well.
With these forms you could, e.g., create the event and attach it to the
couple (family) and the bride, the groom, the witnesses etc in one shot.

Michael