Quantcast

Empty Notes

Christian Muise
With gramps 4.0.3 (distribution version of ubuntu 14.04) I'm getting empty notes when I go to edit them. This is the error that is being cast on the command line:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/undoableentry.py:115: Warning: g_value_get_int: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_INT (value)' failed
  Gtk.Entry.set_text(self, text)

  Any idea what might be going on? Thanks.

  Cheers,
   Christian

Re: Empty Notes

pelm
Same here with ubuntu 14.04, the same result with both the generic 4.0.3 (gramps own build) and Ubuntu distribution 4.0.3. But i think it is this bug. If so just wait for 4.0.4 or 4.1. /pelm

Re: Empty Notes

Ross Gammon
On 04/25/2014 11:37 AM, pelm wrote:
> Same here with ubuntu 14.04, the same result with both the generic 4.0.3
> (gramps own build) and Ubuntu distribution 4.0.3. But i think it is  this
> <https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7501>   bug. If so just wait
> for 4.0.4 or 4.1. /pelm

Or if you cannot wait, the fix for 7501 is included in the Ubuntu ppa
that I created (instructions on this page):
https://launchpad.net/~retail-0/+archive/gramps-ppa

This can be considered a beta version of what will become 4.0.4. You can
always remove the ppa from your sources list later, and upgrade to the
full 4.0.4 when it gets released.

Ross

Re: Empty Notes

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
pelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello pelm,

>Same here with ubuntu 14.04, the same result with both the generic 4.0.3
>(gramps own build) and Ubuntu distribution 4.0.3. But i think it is
>this <https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7501>   bug. If so
>just wait for 4.0.4 or 4.1. /pelm

If you're confident working with the Gramps files directly, you could
apply the patch from this message;

<http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/gramps-users/thread/565811.91289.bm%40smtp146.mail.ir2.yahoo.com/#msg32258954>

Some sort of root access will be required to make the changes.

Patch written by Kdau, and passed to me via this list, by Jerome.

--
 Regards  _
He looked the wrong way at a policeman

Re: Empty Notes

Christian Muise
Thanks -- I elected to go with the 4.0.4 preview from the ppa (may resort to patching my own local version in the future). Notes render just fine now.

  Cheers

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
pelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello pelm,

>Same here with ubuntu 14.04, the same result with both the generic 4.0.3
>(gramps own build) and Ubuntu distribution 4.0.3. But i think it is
>this <https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7501>   bug. If so
>just wait for 4.0.4 or 4.1. /pelm

If you're confident working with the Gramps files directly, you could
apply the patch from this message;

<http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/gramps-users/thread/565811.91289.bm%40smtp146.mail.ir2.yahoo.com/#msg32258954>

Some sort of root access will be required to make the changes.

Patch written by Kdau, and passed to me via this list, by Jerome.

--
 Regards  _
He looked the wrong way at a policeman
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

Re: Empty Notes

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 22:28:31 +1000
Christian Muise <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Christian,

>Thanks -- I elected to go with the 4.0.4 preview from the ppa (may

YW.

>resort to patching my own local version in the future). Notes render

I prefer to patch locally, rather than add yet another repo.  No real
reason for that, just my personal preference.

>just fine now.

When I first noticed it, I thought I was going bonkers and started
looking for white text on a white background, etc.  When I was told it's
not just me, I was relieved.

--
 Regards  _
Watching the people get lairy
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

Re: Empty Notes

pelm
Thanks alot, i will try that. But maybe i will wait för the release of 4.1. And for now going with the old 3.4.7. /pelm

Brad Rogers wrote
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
pelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello pelm,

>Same here with ubuntu 14.04, the same result with both the generic 4.0.3
>(gramps own build) and Ubuntu distribution 4.0.3. But i think it is
>this <https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7501>   bug. If so
>just wait for 4.0.4 or 4.1. /pelm

If you're confident working with the Gramps files directly, you could
apply the patch from this message;

<http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/gramps-users/thread/565811.91289.bm%40smtp146.mail.ir2.yahoo.com/#msg32258954>

Some sort of root access will be required to make the changes.

Patch written by Kdau, and passed to me via this list, by Jerome.

--
 Regards  _
He looked the wrong way at a policeman
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

signature.asc (501 bytes) <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4665748/0/signature.asc>

Re: Empty Notes

pelm
Hi, just tried your ppa, just marvelous, keep up, looking forward to the final release! Many thanks. /pelm

Ross Gammon wrote
On 04/25/2014 11:37 AM, pelm wrote:
> Same here with ubuntu 14.04, the same result with both the generic 4.0.3
> (gramps own build) and Ubuntu distribution 4.0.3. But i think it is  this
> <https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7501>   bug. If so just wait
> for 4.0.4 or 4.1. /pelm

Or if you cannot wait, the fix for 7501 is included in the Ubuntu ppa
that I created (instructions on this page):
https://launchpad.net/~retail-0/+archive/gramps-ppa

This can be considered a beta version of what will become 4.0.4. You can
always remove the ppa from your sources list later, and upgrade to the
full 4.0.4 when it gets released.

Ross

Re: Empty Notes

Brad,
> I prefer to patch locally, rather than add yet another repo. No real
> reason for that, just my personal preference.
Once you get used to it, it may actually be easier to download source
updates, and build your own 4.0. With that, you avoid patch commands,
and applying patches that may depend on other ones. Once set up, it
takes just two commands to retrieve and build the latest 4.0, one to
test without install.

Once the test works for you, you install Gramps with another command,
and use it from the menu like you're used to now.

You can see what's scheduled for 4.0.4 at

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=47

and decide whether the unsolved issues might bother you, or not.

regards,

Enno

P.S. please ignore the release date on that page.

Re: Empty Notes

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 21:12:21 +0200
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>Brad,
>> I prefer to patch locally, rather than add yet another repo. No real
>> reason for that, just my personal preference.
>Once you get used to it, it may actually be easier to download source
>updates, and build your own 4.0. With that, you avoid patch commands,

Looking at what I wrote, it's clear I misrepresented my meaning.  I
preferred to add the note patch locally, rather than add another repo.

If I were building from source on a regular basis certainly d/l'ing from
a repo of some sort (be it git, svn, etc.) is a far less frustrating way
of doing so, I agree.

--
 Regards  _
He signed up for just three years, it seemed a small amount

Re: Empty Notes

enno
Hi Brad,
> Looking at what I wrote, it's clear I misrepresented my meaning. I
> preferred to add the note patch locally, rather than add another repo.
That was quite clear to me. Adding a repo next to the Ubuntu one creates
two possible sources for Gramps updates, and that makes things unclear.
> If I were building from source on a regular basis certainly d/l'ing
> from a repo of some sort (be it git, svn, etc.) is a far less
> frustrating way of doing so, I agree.
Indeed, and I think it's safer too, because you add a patch to the
installed version of Gramps, meaning that there is only a backup if you
create one yourself. Working with git looks easier then, especially for
4.0, because in that the build and install is fully Pythonized.

regards,

Re: Empty Notes

bwest
Brad Rogers wrote
pelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you're confident working with the Gramps files directly, you could
apply the patch from this message;

<http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/gramps-users/thread/565811.91289.bm%40smtp146.mail.ir2.yahoo.com/#msg32258954>
This worked for me.  However, the text box showing the text is only 2 lines high (same as before the patch), which is not really high enough to work with.

Does anyone know how to increase the height of the text edit text box when editing notes?

Re: Empty Notes

jerome
Brad,

Maybe you played with borders, before?
Something set as a non-default value for size!

As workaround, move your mouse cursor to the bottom border or one of the bottom corners, then extand yourself to the expected size. Does it work?

regards,
Jérôme

Le mer. 30 avril 2014 at 6:45, bwest <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Brad Rogers wrote
This worked for me. However, the text box showing the text is only 2 lines high (same as before the patch), which is not really high enough to work with. Does anyone know how to increase the height of the text edit text box when editing notes? -- View this message in context: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Empty-Notes-tp4665744p4665797.html Sent from the GRAMPS - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Accelerate Dev Cycles with Automated Cross-Browser Testing - For FREE Instantly run your Selenium tests across 300+ browser/OS combos. Get unparalleled scalability from the best Selenium testing platform available. Simple to use. Nothing to install. Get started now for free." http://p.sf.net/sfu/SauceLabs _______________________________________________ Gramps-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

Re: Empty Notes

bwest
jerome wrote
As workaround, move your mouse cursor to the bottom border or one of
the bottom corners, then extand yourself to the expected size. Does it
work?
Doesn't seem to work for me.  There doesn't appear to be a "handle" to drag.