Quantcast

English or American spelling?

Nick Hall-6
I was thinking of writing a po file with English spellings to learn more
about translations.  I expected Gramps to use American spellings.

Running an English spell check on gramps.pot I found the following
American spellings:

analyzing
baptized
canceled
capitalization
center
centered
centering
color
colored
coloring
dialog
maximized
neighborhood
organize
organized
unrecognized

However, running an American spell check I found the following English
spellings:

baptised
cancelling
colour
coloured
colours
indices
recognised

There were also two mistakes:

descripion
layed

Should Gramps use American or English spellings?  Is this documented
anywhere?

Re: English or American spelling?

Brian Matherly
Nick,

>I was thinking of writing a po file with English spellings to learn more
>about translations.  I expected Gramps to use American spellings.
>
>Running an English spell check on gramps.pot I found the following
>American spellings:
>
>analyzing
>baptized
>canceled
>capitalization
>center
>centered
>centering
>color
>colored
>coloring
>dialog
>maximized
>neighborhood
>organize
>organized
>unrecognized
>
>However, running an American spell check I found the following English
>spellings:
>
>baptised
>cancelling
>colour
>coloured
>colours
>indices
>recognised
>
>There were also two mistakes:
>
>descripion
>layed
>
>Should Gramps use American or English spellings?  Is this documented
>anywhere?

Great stuff. I don't know of anywhere this is documented. My advice would be to use American English because I expect you will find many more instances of "color" than "colour" (for example). Then, it would make sense to create a po file for "en_GB".

~BM

Re: English or American spelling?

jerome
If this can help, we already used 'msgen' command[1] for generating
sub-translations (same sex, animal pedigree) with English base and some
variations.

Note, maybe one or two possible issues/limitations with localized
date[2] and relationships[3] handlers!

* LANG_TO_PARSER = {
     'C'                     : DateParser,
     'en'                    : DateParser,
     'English_United States' : DateParser,
     }

LANG_TO_DISPLAY = {
     'C'                     : DateDisplayEn,
     'en'                    : DateDisplayEn,
     'English_United States' : DateDisplayEn,

* Relationships are hardcoded or they are displayed/calculated by a
localized module.

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/msgen-Invocation.html
[2] http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Date_Handler
[3]
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Relationship_Calculator

Jérôme

Brian Matherly a écrit :

> Nick,
>

>> I was thinking of writing a po file with English spellings to learn more
>> about translations.  I expected Gramps to use American spellings.
>>
>> Running an English spell check on gramps.pot I found the following
>> American spellings:
>>
>> analyzing
>> baptized
>> canceled
>> capitalization
>> center
>> centered
>> centering
>> color
>> colored
>> coloring
>> dialog
>> maximized
>> neighborhood
>> organize
>> organized
>> unrecognized
>>
>> However, running an American spell check I found the following English
>> spellings:
>>
>> baptised
>> cancelling
>> colour
>> coloured
>> colours
>> indices
>> recognised
>>
>> There were also two mistakes:
>>
>> descripion
>> layed
>>
>> Should Gramps use American or English spellings?  Is this documented
>> anywhere?
>

> Great stuff. I don't know of anywhere this is documented. My advice would be to use American English because I expect you will find many more instances of "color" than "colour" (for example). Then, it would make sense to create a po file for "en_GB".
>
> ~BM

Re: English or American spelling?

2012/5/10 Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
Nick,

>I was thinking of writing a po file with English spellings to learn more
>about translations.  I expected Gramps to use American spellings.
>
>Running an English spell check on gramps.pot I found the following
>American spellings:
>
>analyzing
>baptized
>canceled
>capitalization
>center
>centered
>centering
>color
>colored
>coloring
>dialog
>maximized
>neighborhood
>organize
>organized
>unrecognized
>
>However, running an American spell check I found the following English
>spellings:
>
>baptised
>cancelling
>colour
>coloured
>colours
>indices
>recognised
>
>There were also two mistakes:
>
>descripion
>layed
>
>Should Gramps use American or English spellings?  Is this documented
>anywhere?

Great stuff. I don't know of anywhere this is documented. My advice would be to use American English because I expect you will find many more instances of "color" than "colour" (for example). Then, it would make sense to create a po file for "en_GB".

Yes.
And as the original authors were American, I would expect american english. The errors will be by Europeans contributing to the source.

Benny.

~BM

On 10/05/12 15:06, Brian Matherly wrote:

> Nick,
>

>> I was thinking of writing a po file with English spellings to learn more
>> about translations.  I expected Gramps to use American spellings.
>>
>> Running an English spell check on gramps.pot I found the following
>> American spellings:
>>
>> analyzing
>> baptized
>> canceled
>> capitalization
>> center
>> centered
>> centering
>> color
>> colored
>> coloring
>> dialog
>> maximized
>> neighborhood
>> organize
>> organized
>> unrecognized
>>
>> However, running an American spell check I found the following English
>> spellings:
>>
>> baptised
>> cancelling
>> colour
>> coloured
>> colours
>> indices
>> recognised
>>
>> There were also two mistakes:
>>
>> descripion
>> layed
>>
>> Should Gramps use American or English spellings?  Is this documented
>> anywhere?
>
> Great stuff. I don't know of anywhere this is documented. My advice would be to use American English because I expect you will find many more instances of "color" than "colour" (for example). Then, it would make sense to create a po file for "en_GB".
>
> ~BM

I agree.  For international projects I would expect that the default
would be American English.

I don't know if I would normally bother to create a translation for
en_GB, but I wanted to go through the process that the translators go
through.

I'll change all the English spellings to American in trunk.

Re: English or American spelling?

Doug
On 10/05/12 17:36, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 10/05/12 15:06, Brian Matherly wrote:
>> Nick,
>>

>>> I was thinking of writing a po file with English spellings to learn more
>>> about translations.  I expected Gramps to use American spellings.
>>>
>>> Running an English spell check on gramps.pot I found the following
>>> American spellings:
>>>
>>> analyzing
>>> baptized
>>> canceled
>>> capitalization
>>> center
>>> centered
>>> centering
>>> color
>>> colored
>>> coloring
>>> dialog
>>> maximized
>>> neighborhood
>>> organize
>>> organized
>>> unrecognized
>>>
>>> However, running an American spell check I found the following English
>>> spellings:
>>>
>>> baptised
>>> cancelling
>>> colour
>>> coloured
>>> colours
>>> indices
>>> recognised
>>>
>>> There were also two mistakes:
>>>
>>> descripion
>>> layed
>>>
>>> Should Gramps use American or English spellings?  Is this documented
>>> anywhere?
>>
>> Great stuff. I don't know of anywhere this is documented. My advice would be to use American English because I expect you will find many more instances of "color" than "colour" (for example). Then, it would make sense to create a po file for "en_GB".
>>
>> ~BM
>>
> I agree.  For international projects I would expect that the default
> would be American English.
>
> I don't know if I would normally bother to create a translation for
> en_GB, but I wanted to go through the process that the translators go
> through.
>
> I'll change all the English spellings to American in trunk.
>
> Nick.

Do please create an en_GB translation, at least so as to be
consistent with firefox, open office, etc, etc

Doug

On 11/05/12 09:38, doug wrote:

> On 10/05/12 17:36, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 10/05/12 15:06, Brian Matherly wrote:
>>> Nick,

>>> Great stuff. I don't know of anywhere this is documented. My advice
>>> would be to use American English because I expect you will find many
>>> more instances of "color" than "colour" (for example). Then, it
>>> would make sense to create a po file for "en_GB".
>>>
>>> ~BM
>>>
>> I agree.  For international projects I would expect that the default
>> would be American English.
>>
>> I don't know if I would normally bother to create a translation for
>> en_GB, but I wanted to go through the process that the translators go
>> through.
>>
>> I'll change all the English spellings to American in trunk.
>>
>> Nick.
>>
> Do please create an en_GB translation, at least so as to be consistent
> with firefox, open office, etc, etc
>
> Doug

I have now committed an English (British) translation.

The code in trunk should now only contain translatable strings in
American.  I rebuilt to gramps.pot reflect these changes.

Let me know if I have missed anything.

Re: English or American spelling?

Peter Landgren
I have tested it and it seems OK.

/Peter

> On 11/05/12 09:38, doug wrote:

>>> I agree.  For international projects I would expect that the default
>>> would be American English.
>>>
>>> I don't know if I would normally bother to create a translation for
>>> en_GB, but I wanted to go through the process that the translators go
>>> through.
>>>
>>> I'll change all the English spellings to American in trunk.
>>>
>>> Nick.
>>>
>> Do please create an en_GB translation, at least so as to be consistent
>> with firefox, open office, etc, etc
>>
>> Doug
>>
> I have now committed an English (British) translation.
>
> The code in trunk should now only contain translatable strings in
> American.  I rebuilt to gramps.pot reflect these changes.
>
> Let me know if I have missed anything.
>
> Nick.

Re: English or American spelling?

Stéphane Charette-2
Yes.
And as the original authors were American, I would expect american english. The errors will be by Europeans contributing to the source.

Or Canadians.  To make matters worse, we use a mix of international (British) English and U.S. English.  I'm always conflicted when a software package presents me with a choice between British and American language options.

Stéphane