Entering New Places in 4.10

Tony Gordon
I am having difficulty entering new places in the new place heirachy in
Gamps 4.1 without having to go through a large number of steps and are
wondering if I am missing something. In previous versions of Gramps I
could enter a Place Name and if I wanted to I could also enter the
Street, Locality, City etc. all from that same dialogue box. In 4.1 it
seems that I can enter the Place Name (which autofills the Title) and
Type but the Enclosed By tab only allows me to add places already in the
database, not add new ones. If the whole place entry is new, I seem to
need to enter each of the other entries separately then create the links
using Enclosed By. Am I missing something?

Tony

Re: Entering New Places in 4.10

Nick Hall
On 28/06/14 23:45, Tony Gordon wrote:

> I am having difficulty entering new places in the new place heirachy in
> Gamps 4.1 without having to go through a large number of steps and are
> wondering if I am missing something. In previous versions of Gramps I
> could enter a Place Name and if I wanted to I could also enter the
> Street, Locality, City etc. all from that same dialogue box. In 4.1 it
> seems that I can enter the Place Name (which autofills the Title) and
> Type but the Enclosed By tab only allows me to add places already in the
> database, not add new ones. If the whole place entry is new, I seem to
> need to enter each of the other entries separately then create the links
> using Enclosed By. Am I missing something?

In v4.1 the location of a place is determined by its position in a
hierarchy of places.  The place title can be built up by walking up the
hierarchy looking at the name of each place.

You are correct that only existing places can be selected to be the
"parent" place in the "Enclosed By" tab.

Perhaps we need an "add new place" (+) button next to the place
selection button?