Entering a Transgender Person?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Put this in the category of "Gramps questions I never expected to ask."

Any thoughts as to how best to enter/reflect a transgender person in Gramps?

It turns out that a now deceased cousin of mine began life as a woman,
had an operation in the 1960's, and became a man. She/He did have a
child via artificial insemination with a partner -- so the child does
not carry the bloodline.

My initial thought is to enter the person as a female and create a
custom event for the sex change operation -- any specific thoughts on
how to best handle that event? Or any better ideas as to how to handle
this situation overall?

There will be the female birth name, and also the new male name at
death -- which should be primary? There is no option other than the
pink or blue box when displaying the chart view in Gramps, is there?
Neither feels entirely appropriate in this case.

So, while please leaving any personal opinions regarding the morals
and ethics of sex change operations out of it, I would greatly
appreciate any thoughts on the most appropriate way to handle this
individual in my family tree in Gramps.

Many thanks,

Peter

Re: Entering a Transgender Person?

Ron Johnson
On 05/13/2017 10:01 AM, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:

> Put this in the category of "Gramps questions I never expected to ask."
>
> Any thoughts as to how best to enter/reflect a transgender person in Gramps?
>
> It turns out that a now deceased cousin of mine began life as a woman,
> had an operation in the 1960's, and became a man. She/He did have a
> child via artificial insemination with a partner -- so the child does
> not carry the bloodline.
>
> My initial thought is to enter the person as a female and create a
> custom event for the sex change operation

That's what I'd do.

> -- any specific thoughts on
> how to best handle that event? Or any better ideas as to how to handle
> this situation overall?
>
> There will be the female birth name, and also the new male name at
> death -- which should be primary?

Depends on whether -- in the Person Edit window you choose the name Type to
be "Birth Name" or "Also Known As".

> There is no option other than the
> pink or blue box when displaying the chart view in Gramps, is there?
> Neither feels entirely appropriate in this case.
>
> So, while please leaving any personal opinions regarding the morals
> and ethics of sex change operations out of it, I would greatly
> appreciate any thoughts on the most appropriate way to handle this
> individual in my family tree in Gramps.

Genealogy is a record of (to the best of our knowledge) facts.

On 13/05/17 16:01, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:

> Any thoughts as to how best to enter/reflect a transgender person in Gramps?
>
> It turns out that a now deceased cousin of mine began life as a woman,
> had an operation in the 1960's, and became a man. She/He did have a
> child via artificial insemination with a partner -- so the child does
> not carry the bloodline.
>
> My initial thought is to enter the person as a female and create a
> custom event for the sex change operation -- any specific thoughts on
> how to best handle that event? Or any better ideas as to how to handle
> this situation overall?
A custom event type of "Transition" has been suggested in the past. See:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_Event_Types

> There will be the female birth name, and also the new male name at
> death -- which should be primary? There is no option other than the
> pink or blue box when displaying the chart view in Gramps, is there?
> Neither feels entirely appropriate in this case.

At the moment the choices are "Male", "Female" or "Unknown". There is a
feature request to add "Other" to the gender options:

Transgender individuals will usually identify as either male or female.
The only time a problem might occur is if the gender field is used for
DNA analysis.

Re: Entering a Transgender Person?

Hello Peter,

> Any thoughts as to how best to enter/reflect a transgender person in Gramps?
>
> It turns out that a now deceased cousin of mine began life as a woman,
> had an operation in the 1960's, and became a man. She/He did have a
> child via artificial insemination with a partner -- so the child does
> not carry the bloodline.
>
> My initial thought is to enter the person as a female and create a
> custom event for the sex change operation -- any specific thoughts on
> how to best handle that event? Or any better ideas as to how to handle
> this situation overall?
Within the limitations of the current Gramps version, where gender is
either male of female, and not bound to a specific time (period), I
would probably choose for the gender that this cousin wished to live by,
and that is how he was known by most relatives, as a man, with the last
used given name as his primary name.

I would then add the birth name as a secondary name, and attach a note
mentioning his original gender, and maybe a sex change event. You could
mark both as private if you wish so, so that ignorant outsiders won't
judge him by a published tree, just in case.

I would defend this choice, because you said that it "turns out" that
this cousin began life a woman, so I conclude that he was known to most
as a man, and lived as a man most of his life, with a wife, and a child
that was registered as his. Is that right?

When you do this, he will appear like a man, which was his apparent
choice, and I think that you should respect that, and register the other
facts in a way that suits you, and your research.

regards,

Re: Entering a Transgender Person?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Many thanks to Ron, Nick, and Enno for your replies to my my query.

Each of your contributed very helpful ideas that I will follow.

Indeed, genealogy is a record of (to the best of our knowledge) facts
-- thank you for the very simple and clear reminder, Ron.

I like the custom event type of "Transition" -- that seems appropriate.

And yes, Enno -- thank you for pointing out the necessity of
respecting the individual's wishes. That's all very well stated, and
yes, he did live his adult life as a man.

Nick does raises a very valid point about DNA. This relative died some
years ago, and there are no blood descendants. Obtaining a DNA sample
of any kind seems unlikely, though who knows what the technology of
the future may hold. I know that the ability to record DNA in Gramps
is still in its early stages, but although this relative died as a
man, he never had a Y-Chromosome (which only males carry). Being a big
collector of genealogical DNA myself, that's an important fact to
somehow note in Gramps. And ideally, the Gramps DNA plugin should
somehow reflect that this individual does not carry the Y-Chromosome
(but does indeed carry the mtDNA -- no issue there).

Anyhow, this is a very unique situation. In that Gramps does record so
many other facts perfectly, this issue of the DNA in this case is not
a major one. At some point, it would however be nice to insure that in
rare cases such as this, Y-Chromosomes are not associated with the
individual.

Again, thanks to all,

Peter