Entering dates with different formats

derHeinzi
When using GRAMPS in german I switch the date display to format dd.mm.yyyy. When entering the dates however, I still have to use the format mm.dd.yyyy (if not using the date input dialog).
This is quite error prone and 6th of May suddenly becomes 5th of June if you enter the date in the way you are used to!
Is there a possibility to switch not only the data display format, but also the data entry format for dates in GRAMPS? Or should they, even better, not be connected to each other?
Thanks in advance
derHeinzi

Re: Entering dates with different formats

Gerald Britton-2
my habit is to enter dates dd mmm yyyy, e.g. 6 feb 2009. That way
neither I nor gramps become confused.

On 2/5/09, derHeinzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When using GRAMPS in german I switch the date display to format dd.mm.yyyy.
> When entering the dates however, I still have to use the format mm.dd.yyyy
> (if not using the date input dialog).
> This is quite error prone and 6th of May suddenly becomes 5th of June if you
> enter the date in the way you are used to!
> Is there a possibility to switch not only the data display format, but also
> the data entry format for dates in GRAMPS? Or should they, even better, not
> be connected to each other?
> Thanks in advance
> derHeinzi

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
> local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Entering dates with different formats

This depends on th elocale installed on your machine, not the language you run it.
So you need to use the German locale or another locale that has dd.mm.yyyy as standard.

In a terminal with :
$ python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 31 2008, 17:31:22)
>>> import locale
>>> locale.nl_langinfo(locale.D_FMT)
'%m/%d/%y'
>>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'')
'nl_BE.UTF-8'
>>> locale.nl_langinfo(locale.D_FMT)
'%d-%m-%y'

You see, when I set my locale as GRAMPS does in the beginning (nl_Be), my date becomes d-m-y as you would want it.
You should not expect gramps to try to outsmart what your OS is telling it.

Benny

2009/2/5 derHeinzi <[hidden email]>

When using GRAMPS in german I switch the date display to format dd.mm.yyyy.
When entering the dates however, I still have to use the format mm.dd.yyyy
(if not using the date input dialog).
This is quite error prone and 6th of May suddenly becomes 5th of June if you
enter the date in the way you are used to!
Is there a possibility to switch not only the data display format, but also
the data entry format for dates in GRAMPS? Or should they, even better, not
be connected to each other?
Thanks in advance
derHeinzi

Re: Entering dates with different formats

derHeinzi

Ah, I see! Thank you for enlightening me, Benny!

--- Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do, 5.2.2009:

> Von: Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
> This depends on th elocale installed on your machine, not
> the language you
> run it.
> So you need to use the German locale or another locale that
> has dd.mm.yyyy
> as standard.
derHeinzi

Re: Entering dates with different formats

Benny Malengier

2009/2/5 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>

Ah, I see! Thank you for enlightening me, Benny!

If you like to use english to install your linux, then make sure you choose the UK, not the US, I believe they have normal logical ordering of small to large ;-)
Or Australia, they even have the sense of using the meter.

Benny

--- Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do, 5.2.2009:

> Von: Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
> This depends on th elocale installed on your machine, not
> the language you
> run it.
> So you need to use the German locale or another locale that
> has dd.mm.yyyy
> as standard.
derHeinzi

Re: Entering dates with different formats

OldAl
07:26:08 Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2009/2/5 Heinz Brinker <[hidden email]>
>
> > Ah, I see! Thank you for enlightening me, Benny!
>
> If you like to use english to install your linux, then make sure you choose
> the UK, not the US, I believe they have normal logical ordering of small to
> large ;-)
> Or Australia, they even have the sense of using the meter.
>
> Benny

And centigrade for temperature, kg for mass, Newton for force, A4 for writing
paper (A3 for small drawing, etc). Some even use standard format for date
(yyyy-mm-dd)  :)

But beware of installing openSUSE in British-English - you may end up with a
screwed up keyboard...  Also, the newest, Novell owned openSUSE, has the
habit to screw up the keyboard setup as soon as it sees (UK) English selected
as the first language...

OldAl.

> > --- Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do, 5.2.2009:
> > > Von: Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
> > > This depends on th elocale installed on your machine, not
> > > the language you
> > > run it.
> > > So you need to use the German locale or another locale that
> > > has dd.mm.yyyy
> > > as standard.
> >
> > derHeinzi

> >----- Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
> > Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> > software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and
> > code to
> > build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
> > local
> > resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK
> > and
> > Ajax docs to start building applications today-
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Entering dates with different formats

Stéphane Charette-2
Install Canadian.  Defaults to US keyboard layout, letter-size,
metric, UK-ish spelling, and %d/%m/%y dates.

What a mess!  :)

Stéphane