Entering events

rcarlson
Hi,

I've been using Gramps for around 4 years now and have quite happily entered 1,600 events so far and 500 people. - it's brilliant software. As I find new information about my ancestors, I've come across some events that I would like some advice on please.

1. An article in an old newspaper reports that my ancestor was attacked and the case went to court. How to enter this? I've been considering creating an event type called News with a description "Court appearance - Alleged attack on xxx" to handle this. The advantage of this is that a "News" event could then be used for other newspaper reports that don't fit with existing event types. I wondered how you would do it?

2. One ancestor was in and out of the Workhouse six times in the space of 12 months. Of course this indicates the sad situation that she was in.  Any suggestions for recording the admission and discharges? The entry in the Workhouse register says "discharged" but no new address is given. I had used a Residence event for one ancestor who went into the Workhouse and then died there, but this case is a seven year old going in and out. It appears that her father was also in dire straits and his abode is difficult to track down.

All advice greatly appreciated - thanks

Richard

Gramps 3.4.4-1; Linux Mint 13.

Re: Entering events

paul womack
Richard Carlson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Gramps for around 4 years now and have quite happily entered 1,600 events so far and 500 people. - it's brilliant software. As I find new information about my ancestors, I've come across some events that I would like some advice on please.
>
> 1. An article in an old newspaper reports that my ancestor was attacked and the case went to court. How to enter this? I've been considering creating an event type called News with a description "Court appearance - Alleged attack on xxx" to handle this. The advantage of this is that a "News" event could then be used for other newspaper reports that don't fit with existing event types. I wondered how you would do it?

Your idea seems fine; on a similar theme, I have "Politics" events my tree. Gramps pre-defined list mainly covers classic
genealogy; "family history" seems to require new events types.

> 2. One ancestor was in and out of the Workhouse six times in the space of 12 months. Of course this indicates the sad situation that she was in.  Any suggestions for recording the admission and discharges? The entry in the Workhouse register says "discharged" but no new address is given. I had used a Residence event for one ancestor who went into the Workhouse and then died there, but this case is a seven year old going in and out. It appears that her father was also in dire straits and his
> abode is difficult to track down.

There is no (technical) objection to having a Location called "unknown", although the location
field is optional anyway.

  BugBear

Re: Entering events

Douglas Bainbridge
On 27/09/13 08:45, Richard Carlson wrote
  Hi, I've been using Gramps for around 4 years now and have
quite happily entered 1,600 events so far and 500 people. -
it's brilliant software. As I find new information about my
ancestors, I've come across some events that I would like
some advice on please.
<snip>
  2. One ancestor was in and out of the Workhouse six times
in the space of 12 months. Of course this indicates the sad
situation that she was in. Any suggestions for recording the
admission and discharges? The entry in the Workhouse
register says "discharged" but no new address is given. I
had used a Residence event for one ancestor who went into
the Workhouse and then died there, but this case is a seven
year old going in and out. It appears that her father was
also in dire straits and his abode is difficult to track down.
<snip>

You might consider creating an Event Type "Workhouse" and
recording the dates of each stay as "between <date of
admission> and <date of discharge>". Location unspecified or
"Unknown".
It sounds a bit like "How do you deal with a travelling
salesman?" that was discussed in August this year.

Doug

Re: Entering events

Nick Hall-6
On 27/09/13 08:45, Richard Carlson wrote:
> 1. An article in an old newspaper reports that my ancestor was
> attacked and the case went to court. How to enter this? I've been
> considering creating an event type called News with a description
> "Court appearance - Alleged attack on xxx" to handle this. The
> advantage of this is that a "News" event could then be used for other
> newspaper reports that don't fit with existing event types. I wondered
> how you would do it?

The event is actually the trial not the news of it.  Why not create a
"Trial" event?

The date would then be the date of the trial, the place would be the
location of the court, and the description would be "Alleged attack on
xxx".  Add the newspaper article as a source.

Perhaps we should create a wiki page with a list of suggested event types?

> 2. One ancestor was in and out of the Workhouse six times in the space
> of 12 months. Of course this indicates the sad situation that she was
> in.  Any suggestions for recording the admission and discharges? The
> entry in the Workhouse register says "discharged" but no new address
> is given. I had used a Residence event for one ancestor who went into
> the Workhouse and then died there, but this case is a seven year old
> going in and out. It appears that her father was also in dire straits
> and his abode is difficult to track down.

Use a Residence event.  The admission and discharge registers will give
you a date range.  You can add these entries as sources.  The place will
just be the workhouse location.

Re: Entering events

Martin Steer-2
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 07:45:47AM +0000, Richard Carlson wrote:

>1. An article in an old newspaper reports that my ancestor was attacked and the
>case went to court. How to enter this? I've been considering creating an event
>type called News with a description "Court appearance - Alleged attack on xxx"
>to handle this. The advantage of this is that a "News" event could then be used
>for other newspaper reports that don't fit with existing event types. I
>wondered how you would do it?

The relevant event here is the attack and subsequent legal action, not
the reporting of it in the news. For that reason, I would probably use
'legal' or somesuch as a generic event type.

I have a similar newspaper report in my records, except that my man was
the attacker. "The bench fined the accused 40s., with the alternative of
seven days' imprisonment."

Cheers.

Re: Entering events

Michael Tiernan
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps we should create a wiki page with a list of suggested event types?

Thanks for volunteering! ;)

Seriously, to whomever decides to take up this challenge, a couple of suggestions:
1) Start the list with a "Country" or "Region" so that terms used in other areas can be interpreted by the reader appropriatly.

2) (I know this is obvious) Include a real description not just a five word statement.

3) Include an example and narrative about the example that makes it easier to wrap your understanding around something that is not familiar to your current culture. (i.e. Workhouse, how/why, etc.)

--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Hans Boldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the biggest omission from the list of events is "stillbirth". You can always create your own event types. However, this is a death-like event that Gramps should recognize. That is, in places where a date of death is listed, this date should be listed.
I know I'm very inexperienced at this so I thought I'd ask. Sorry if this sounds like I'm insensitive, I"m not, just unfamiliar with it.

Is it important that it be recognized as such and not simply as a passing (death)?

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Hans Boldt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure, in the absence of a "stillbirth" event type, there are different approaches. But having just a death event without a corresponding birth implies that the date of birth is unknown. Having a birth event implies a live birth. I think having a "stillbirth" event would be the best way to avoid any possible confusion or ambiguity.

Very interesting! Thanks for explaining. I guess this does make sense.
(That why I like asking questiions.)  ;)

On 01/10/13 00:25, Michael Tiernan wrote:
Sure, in the absence of a "stillbirth" event type, there are different approaches. But having just a death event without a corresponding birth implies that the date of birth is unknown. Having a birth event implies a live birth. I think having a "stillbirth" event would be the best way to avoid any possible confusion or ambiguity.

Very interesting! Thanks for explaining. I guess this does make sense.
(That why I like asking questiions.)  ;)

Birth and Death events are used in reports, views and other places in Gramps.  I would suggest creating a Birth and Death event for a stillbirth.  Enter "stillbirth" as the description.

There is already an "Elected" event.  Do we need any other political events?

It does look like we need more custom legal events though.  Perhaps "Trial" and "Inquest"?

I'm not sure if we have enough for a wiki page yet.  What custom events do people use?

Re: Entering events

Peter G

I'm using "other" for newspaper clippings that mention or focus on family but don't have any event types.

I'm also adding yahrzeit as an event. It's the Jewish anniversary date of a person's death. I enter it as the Hebrew date while the actual single date for death is entered in the common Gregorian date. Yahrzeit is one event that I'd like to be able to pull a report like anniversary and birthdays for the up coming year.

For additional events, how about "news"?  A catch all for news stories that don't mention any details that fit other event types?

Peter

Re: Entering events

J. Allen Crider-2
The custom event I use a lot is Draft Registration.  U.S. draft
registration records are available for the U.S. Civil War and both World
Wars, and I've located several hundred for people in my database so far.

Allen Crider

On 10/01/2013 08:42 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 01/10/13 00:25, Michael Tiernan wrote:
>>
>>     Sure, in the absence of a "stillbirth" event type, there are
>>     different approaches. But having just a death event without a
>>     corresponding birth implies that the date of birth is unknown.
>>     Having a birth event implies a live birth. I think having a
>>     "stillbirth" event would be the best way to avoid any possible
>>     confusion or ambiguity.
>>

>> Very interesting! Thanks for explaining. I guess this does make sense.
>> (That why I like asking questiions.)  ;)
>
> Birth and Death events are used in reports, views and other places in
> Gramps.  I would suggest creating a Birth and Death event for a
> stillbirth.  Enter "stillbirth" as the description.
>
> There is already an "Elected" event.  Do we need any other political events?
>
> It does look like we need more custom legal events though.  Perhaps
> "Trial" and "Inquest"?
>
> I'm not sure if we have enough for a wiki page yet.  What custom events
> do people use?
>
> Nick.

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60134791&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Entering events

Philip Weiss
I use Stillbirth, Bankruptcy, Separation, Civil Lawsuit, Civil Appeal, Criminal, Indictment, Conviction, Criminal Appeal (and will probably add more related to various types of legal proceedings), Declaration of Intention (aka First Papers in the naturalization process in the US), Departure, Arrival (I use Emigration and Immigration only when someone leaves/arrives for the purpose of changing the country in which they live), and Travel (for documenting a person visiting a place they don't live).

I'll probably add more, as I only started using Gramps last year and have a lot more documentation to add. A couple that I know will come up are Name Change (e.g. court approved name change events) and Transition (for documenting trans* people's transitions).

The only one I wish was built in is Stillbirth, and was treated as both birth and death for various functions.

Philip.

On 01/10/13 14:57, Peter G wrote:

I'm using "other" for newspaper clippings that mention or focus on family but don't have any event types.

I'm also adding yahrzeit as an event. It's the Jewish anniversary date of a person's death. I enter it as the Hebrew date while the actual single date for death is entered in the common Gregorian date. Yahrzeit is one event that I'd like to be able to pull a report like anniversary and birthdays for the up coming year.

For additional events, how about "news"?  A catch all for news stories that don't mention any details that fit other event types?

I was trying to avoid the catch-all types like "other" and "news".  You raise an interesting point though.  What is the subject of the newspaper clippings you have?

How would we record a letter to the editor, for example?  Perhaps we need a "Publication" event?  This could cover the publication of books, articles, academic papers etc...

Otherwise the event type probably depends on the subject of the newspaper report.

I think it would be useful to see the anniversary of a death on a calendar.  This would be useful where someone has an entry in a book of remembrance.

I suggest you create a feature request for adding death and yahrzeit events to the anniversary report.  This is a good example of a custom event.  Whilst you could just use a death event, I can see why you might want to enter a Gregorian date.  A report is going to need some way of determining that the anniversary should be calculated using the Hebrew calendar.

Re: Entering events

Nick Hall-6
Thanks.  Both of these are good suggestions.  I have copied this to the
list.

On 01/10/13 16:17, Ed Hamilton wrote:
> I have added "Arrival" in addition to Immigration and Emigration. I
> use it when people re-enter a country, or go back to their home
> country for a visit.
> Also: "Draft Registration", since that is not the same as Military
> Service, at least not in the United States, and I think using Military
> Service would be misleading.

Re: Entering events

Jesse Meyer
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]
> There is already an "Elected" event.  Do we need any other political events?

If there's "elected", why not "appointed" as well?

Re: Entering events

Nick Hall-6
There are now enough suggestions to start a wiki page:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_Event_Types

Everyone should feel free to contribute and update this page.

Some of the event types may have a US bias at the moment, but that
doesn't really matter.

Nick.

On 01/10/13 17:41, Philip Weiss wrote:

> I use Stillbirth, Bankruptcy, Separation, Civil Lawsuit, Civil Appeal,
> Criminal, Indictment, Conviction, Criminal Appeal (and will probably
> add more related to various types of legal proceedings), Declaration
> of Intention (aka First Papers in the naturalization process in the
> US), Departure, Arrival (I use Emigration and Immigration only when
> someone leaves/arrives for the purpose of changing the country in
> which they live), and Travel (for documenting a person visiting a
> place they don't live).
>
> I'll probably add more, as I only started using Gramps last year and
> have a lot more documentation to add. A couple that I know will come
> up are Name Change (e.g. court approved name change events) and
> Transition (for documenting trans* people's transitions).
>
> The only one I wish was built in is Stillbirth, and was treated as
> both birth and death for various functions.

Re: Entering events

Peter G
Publication sounds like a better catch all.

Examples from my trees.
1 - two articles involving custody issues - while it doesn't provide the name of the minor child, it does provide an age so I used it as part of the birth event.  Since it's within living lifespans I haven't written the private back story as a note, but I should.  A publication event would let me set it at the correct date.

2 - Some WWII newspaper articles mention a cousin being home from the war zone or somebody completing training.  Sort of military service, especially since it mentions promotions, but most of the article is about her service.

3 - Mentions of an uncle who played football who was well known at the college level and briefly known as part of the NFL.  Publication would definately help tie the newspaper articles to a time & place with a note plus image.

Peter

On 01/10/13 23:26, Peter G wrote:
Publication sounds like a better catch all.

I wasn't intending it to be a catch-all.  Most newspaper articles are reporting an event.  A letter to the editor is an example where may not be the case.

I was suggesting a "Publication" event where someone published something, such as a book, article, letter, paper etc...

Examples from my trees.
1 - two articles involving custody issues - while it doesn't provide the name of the minor child, it does provide an age so I used it as part of the birth event.  Since it's within living lifespans I haven't written the private back story as a note, but I should.  A publication event would let me set it at the correct date.

Such articles probably provide evidence of a court case, which would be the event.

2 - Some WWII newspaper articles mention a cousin being home from the war zone or somebody completing training.  Sort of military service, especially since it mentions promotions, but most of the article is about her service.

Yes, this would provide evidence of a "Military Service" event.

3 - Mentions of an uncle who played football who was well known at the college level and briefly known as part of the NFL.  Publication would definately help tie the newspaper articles to a time & place with a note plus image.

If they were a professional footballer then this would provide evidence of an "Occupation" event.  I suppose if it was a report of a particular match, you may want to record this as a separate event.

This reminds me that I have used "Apprenticeship" and "Retirement" as event types.