Entering place co-ordinartes.

wakou
When I first started with Gramps, I was impressed by the number of different ways to enter the coords of a place. Since then, I have come to find that even those are not enough. MOST map software will show the lat/long as a single string, with a comma between, google maps, for instance..

51.731661, 0.468638

It would be very handy to be able to copy paste this straight in to GRAMPS. At present, we have to paste the whole thing into the latitude box, select and cut the longitude, paste that in the long box and delete the comma.
Also, those of us in the UK have Ordnance survey map refs as an option, these are of the form:
TL 70544 06428
OR

 TQ 336805. for example. It would be grand to have the ability to paste co-ordinates of these types into one box.

Re: Entering place co-ordinartes.

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 01:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
wakou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello wakou,

> TQ 336805. for example. It would be grand to have the ability to paste
>co-ordinates of these types into one box.

There seem to be almost as many coordinate systems as their are
countries around the world.  The only globally accepted system is
Lat/Long.

I would have that weighing down Gramps with all the cruft associated with
coordinate rationalising goes beyond what a genealogical program needs
to be capable of.

--
 Regards  _
Never much liked playing there anyway

Re: Entering place co-ordinartes.

Hans Boldt
I agree that allowing national grid coordinates is going too far since the resulting genealogy cannot effectively be used outside that country.

However, I would like to see Wakou's first issue addressed. I too copy and paste from Google Maps. It would be an improvement if Gramps recognized two numbers being entered in the "Latitude" field, and automatically split off the second to the "Longitude" field.

Hans

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 01:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
wakou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello wakou,

> TQ 336805. for example. It would be grand to have the ability to paste
>co-ordinates of these types into one box.

There seem to be almost as many coordinate systems as their are
countries around the world.  The only globally accepted system is
Lat/Long.

I would have that weighing down Gramps with all the cruft associated with
coordinate rationalising goes beyond what a genealogical program needs
to be capable of.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Never much liked playing there anyway
Banned From The Roxy - Crass

Re: Entering place co-ordinartes.

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 07:57:49 -0400
Hans Boldt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Hans,

>However, I would like to see Wakou's first issue addressed. I too copy

It'd certainly be nice.  Where I get the coords from(1) lists Lat & Long
on two lines, so I have to copy/paste separately.

Also, there's no need to send me a copy of your messages to the list
privately;  I'm subscribed to the list, so I'll see it here.

(1)  I avoid google on principle.

--
 Regards  _
Gary don't need his eyes to see.  Gary and his eyes have parted company

Re: Entering place co-ordinartes.

Josip
5.10.2014. u 10:59, wakou je napisao/la:
> When I first started with Gramps, I was impressed by the number of different
> ways to enter the coords of a place. Since then, I have come to find that
> even those are not enough. MOST map software will show the lat/long as a
> single string, with a comma between, google maps, for instance..

Hopefully in future Gramps version lat/long will be added automatically.
Discussion started at:
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5742#c38345

--
Josip

Re: Entering place co-ordinartes.

paul womack
Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 01:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
> wakou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello wakou,
>
>> TQ 336805. for example. It would be grand to have the ability to paste
>> co-ordinates of these types into one box.
>
> There seem to be almost as many coordinate systems as their are
> countries around the world.  The only globally accepted system is
> Lat/Long.
>
> I would have that weighing down Gramps with all the cruft associated with
> coordinate rationalising goes beyond what a genealogical program needs
> to be capable of.

Agreed - there are many websites that will convert coords in various
representations. I use them :-)

  BugBear

Hans Boldt wrote:
> I agree that allowing national grid coordinates is going too far since the resulting genealogy cannot effectively be used outside that country.
>
> However, I would like to see Wakou's first issue addressed. I too copy and paste from Google Maps. It would be an improvement if Gramps recognized two numbers being entered in the "Latitude" field, and automatically split off the second to the "Longitude" field.

I agree it would be a convenience, but I have (before now) taken 2-3 hours to find
a long-lost lane or street via old maps and careful research.

The time taken to key in the lat/long is the least of my worries!

  BugBear

Re: Entering place co-ordinartes.

ACProctor
I use both (ISO-format lat/long., and National Grid) but I use namespaces to
differentiate between the two.

    Tony Proctor