Error deleting places.

Peter Merchant
An error report follows. After having upgraded to 4.?? I have been sorting out my places. As I have been somewhat cavalier in my previous version about how I record some detail, there are some funny annotations in what was Place. I have been trying to delete these places now and causing Gramps to crash. I have been unable to set up a Gramps Bug-reporting login, so am going to paste my bug details here.

------------------

User Information:

===================

Was trying to delete a Place. This Place had been removed from the person it had been associated with, though it still showed as being associated with that person. A previous similar occurrence of this problem was cleared by associating a different place in that persons record (of his death) and then deleting the invalid place worked.

Error Details:

===================

177391: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 114: Unhandled exception

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/lib/libplaceview.py", line 374, in remove

self.remove_selected_objects()

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/views/listview.py", line 568, in remove_selected_objects

_('_Delete Item'), query.query_response)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/dialog.py", line 111, in __init__

task()

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/editors/editplace.py", line 339, in query_response

event.remove_handle_references('Place', place_handle)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/lib/primaryobj.py", line 230, in remove_handle_references

self._remove_handle_references(classname, handle_list)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/lib/event.py", line 227, in _remove_handle_references

if classname == 'Place' and self.place in handle_list:

TypeError: 'in <string>' requires string as left operand, not NoneType

System Information:

===================

Python version: 3.4.0 (default, Apr 11 2014, 13:05:11) [GCC 4.8.2]

BSDDB version: 6.0.1 (5, 3, 28)

Gramps version: 4.1.1

LANG: en_GB.UTF-8

OS: Linux

GTK version : 3.10.8

gobject version: 3.12.0

cairo version : (1, 10, 0)

Re: Error deleting places.

Nick Hall
On 08/02/15 21:30, PeterMerchant wrote:
> An error report follows. After having upgraded to 4.?? I have been
> sorting out my places. As I have been somewhat cavalier in my previous
> version about how I record some detail, there are some funny
> annotations in what was Place. I have been trying to delete these
> places now and causing Gramps to crash. I have been unable to set up a
> Gramps Bug-reporting login, so am going to paste my bug details here.

Thanks.  I'll try to fix this at the same time as #7930 and #8344.

Re: Error deleting places.

Nick Hall
On 09/02/15 13:50, Nick Hall wrote:
> On 08/02/15 21:30, PeterMerchant wrote:
>> >An error report follows. After having upgraded to 4.?? I have been
>> >sorting out my places. As I have been somewhat cavalier in my previous
>> >version about how I record some detail, there are some funny
>> >annotations in what was Place. I have been trying to delete these
>> >places now and causing Gramps to crash. I have been unable to set up a
>> >Gramps Bug-reporting login, so am going to paste my bug details here.
> Thanks.  I'll try to fix this at the same time as #7930 and #8344.

I was able to reproduce the error.  It was caused by the same problem
reported in bug #8344, which has now been fixed.

Re: Error deleting places.

Peter Merchant
On 09/02/15 17:59, Nick Hall wrote:

>> Thanks.  I'll try to fix this at the same time as #7930 and #8344.
> I was able to reproduce the error.  It was caused by the same problem
> reported in bug #8344, which has now been fixed.
>

> Nick.
Thank You. I have cleaned up and am down to about half-a-dozen bad
places, so I'll wait for version 4.1.2

Peter