Error on printing report tree

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
I am getting an error message consistently when trying to print a tree
like Descendent tree to pdf:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
/tmp/tmp3ra......_gt_descendant.pdf

I'm guessing I need something from LaTex to be installed. But what
exactly? Outputting to 'LaTex file' generates a tex file.

Cheers
Harvey



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 07:53 +1100, Sam Manzi wrote:
Looks like the thirdparty addon does not have permissions for the directory does any of the information on the support page help you?


texlive is installed, as is texlive-pict2e, but there is no package called textlive-pictures in my distribution.



I am using OpenSuse Leap 15
My gramps version is:
GRAMPS: 5.0.1 
Python: 3.6.5 (default, Mar 31 2018, 19:45:04) [... 
BSDDB: 6.2.5 (4, 8, 30) 
sqlite: 3.23.1 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux
Distribution: 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default

Plugin name: LaTeX [Doc creator]
Id: latexdoc
Description: Generates documents in LaTeX format.
Version: 1.0
Authors: 
Email: 
Filename: latexdoc.py
Location: /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/plugins/docgen

Plugin name: Descendant Tree [Report] (for example)
Id: gt_descendant
Description: Descendant tree using LaTeX genealogytree
Version: 1.0.7
Authors: Nick Hall
Filename: gt_descendant.py
Location: /home/harvey/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/GenealogyTree

Thanks for your response, Sam. Does everything look OK?

Cheers
Harvey

What other settings did you use for the addon?

Are you on Microsoft Windows?

If those don't help then please raise an issue on the bugtracker.

Thank you
Sam

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 at 04:42, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am getting an error message consistently when trying to print a tree
like Descendent tree to pdf:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
/tmp/tmp3ra......_gt_descendant.pdf

I'm guessing I need something from LaTex to be installed. But what
exactly? Outputting to 'LaTex file' generates a tex file.

Cheers
Harvey

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Peter Flynn
On 29/12/2018 11:15, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 07:53 +1100, Sam Manzi wrote:
>> Looks like the thirdparty addon does not have permissions for the
>> directory does any of the information on the support page help you?
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GenealogyTree
>
> texlive is installed, as is texlive-pict2e, but there is no package
> called textlive-pictures in my distribution.

Where are you seeing that information?

Does the job run LaTeX on the generated document and produce a log file
containing error messages?

The reason I ask is that TeX has no such package as texlive-pict2e, but
it *does* have a package called pict2e (file pict2e.sty, without the
texlive- prefix) but as you correctly report, there is no such package
as pictures, and certainly not one called tex[t]live-pictures. There is,
however, a package called picture (in the singular).

P


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 15:22 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 29/12/2018 11:15, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> > On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 07:53 +1100, Sam Manzi wrote:
> > > Looks like the thirdparty addon does not have permissions for
> > > the
> > > directory does any of the information on the support page help
> > > you?
> > >
> > > https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GenealogyTr
> > > ee
> >
> > texlive is installed, as is texlive-pict2e, but there is no
> > package
> > called textlive-pictures in my distribution.
>
> Where are you seeing that information?
>
> Does the job run LaTeX on the generated document and produce a log
> file
> containing error messages?
>
> The reason I ask is that TeX has no such package as texlive-pict2e,
> but
> it *does* have a package called pict2e (file pict2e.sty, without the
> texlive- prefix) but as you correctly report, there is no such
> package
> as pictures, and certainly not one called tex[t]live-pictures. There
> is,
> however, a package called picture (in the singular).
>
> P
I am running gramps on Open Suse Leap 15. The Yast2 software manager
shows the available/installed packages. 'texlive-pict2e' is the way the
packages are named there. I see that the site https://gramps-project.or
g/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GenealogyTree states that prerequisites
for using the LaTex reports are that texlive-pictures (yes, written
like that) is required and also texlive-fontsextra (for non-latin
fonts). Neither of these 2  packages are listed in Yast.

Harvey

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 15:22 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 29/12/2018 11:15, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> > On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 07:53 +1100, Sam Manzi wrote:
> > > Looks like the thirdparty addon does not have permissions for
> > > the
> > > directory does any of the information on the support page help
> > > you?
> > >
> > > https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GenealogyTr
> > > ee
> >
> > texlive is installed, as is texlive-pict2e, but there is no
> > package
> > called textlive-pictures in my distribution.
>
> Where are you seeing that information?
>
> Does the job run LaTeX on the generated document and produce a log
> file
> containing error messages?
>
> The reason I ask is that TeX has no such package as texlive-pict2e,
> but
> it *does* have a package called pict2e (file pict2e.sty, without the
> texlive- prefix) but as you correctly report, there is no such
> package
> as pictures, and certainly not one called tex[t]live-pictures. There
> is,
> however, a package called picture (in the singular).
>
> P
Yes, a LaTex file is generated....but...if I pass it to the tex
programm on the command line I get an error message, as below:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2017/TeX Live for SUSE Linux)
(preloaded format=tex 2018.6.7)  29 DEC 2018 13:43
**Nimmo_2018-07-29_gt_ancestor.tex
(./Nimmo_2018-07-29_gt_ancestor.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
                  [portrait]{article}
?
! Emergency stop.
l.1 \documentclass
                  [portrait]{article}
End of file on the terminal!

No pages of output.

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by Harvey Nimmo
On 29/12/2018 16:02, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> I am running gramps on Open Suse Leap 15.

You will need the following packages:

texlive-genealogytree

textlive-fonts-extra  (which contains the libertine font for non-latin
alphabets)

Let me know if you can't find these.

Regards,


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Per Starbäck
In reply to this post by Harvey Nimmo
> Yes, a LaTex file is generated....but...if I pass it to the tex
> programm on the command line I get an error message, as below:
>
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2017/TeX Live for SUSE Linux)
> [...]
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.1 \documentclass
>                   [portrait]{article}

Don't run "tex" but som kind of "latex". (I would run "lualatex".)


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 16:24 +0000, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/12/2018 16:02, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> > I am running gramps on Open Suse Leap 15.
>
> You will need the following packages:
>
> texlive-genealogytree
>
> textlive-fonts-extra  (which contains the libertine font for non-
> latin
> alphabets)
>
> Let me know if you can't find these.
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Nick.
>
Hi Nick,

For a moment, I thought you had put your finger on it!!
texlive-genealogytree had indeed not been installed, so I installed it.
That makes no difference, however. Same error message with PDF option.
Same log file output with LaTex option.

The OpenSuse distribution does not contain a package called textlive-
fonts-extra. I don't use it, so I suppose it doesn't matter. The only
'-fonts-' package not installed is called -churchslavonic.

Harvey



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Nick Hall
On 29/12/2018 16:49, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> The OpenSuse distribution does not contain a package called textlive-
> fonts-extra. I don't use it, so I suppose it doesn't matter. The only
> '-fonts-' package not installed is called -churchslavonic.

The libertine font is optional.  It is not required for latin character
sets.

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Nick Hall
On 29/12/2018 17:06, Nick Hall wrote:
> The libertine font is optional.  It is not required for latin
> character sets.

Try texlive-libertine if you need it.

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
In reply to this post by Per Starbäck
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 17:37 +0100, Per Starbäck wrote:

> > Yes, a LaTex file is generated....but...if I pass it to the tex
> > programm on the command line I get an error message, as below:
> >
> > This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2017/TeX Live for SUSE
> > Linux)
> > [...]
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > l.1 \documentclass
> >                   [portrait]{article}
>
> Don't run "tex" but som kind of "latex". (I would run "lualatex".)
>
The PDF now runs (but without colours)!! It worked after I tried to
call lualatex once from the command line.

Harvey

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
In reply to this post by Harvey Nimmo
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 17:49 +0100, Harvey Nimmo wrote:

> On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 16:24 +0000, Nick Hall wrote:
> > On 29/12/2018 16:02, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> > > I am running gramps on Open Suse Leap 15.
> >
> > You will need the following packages:
> >
> > texlive-genealogytree
> >
> > textlive-fonts-extra  (which contains the libertine font for non-
> > latin
> > alphabets)
> >
> > Let me know if you can't find these.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >
> > Nick.
> >
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> For a moment, I thought you had put your finger on it!!
> texlive-genealogytree had indeed not been installed, so I installed
> it.
> That makes no difference, however. Same error message with PDF
> option.
> Same log file output with LaTex option.
>
> The OpenSuse distribution does not contain a package called textlive-
> fonts-extra. I don't use it, so I suppose it doesn't matter. The only
> '-fonts-' package not installed is called -churchslavonic.
>
> Harvey
Everything working now, more or less, colours too. There seems to be a
problem with the image option though - similar error behaviour.

Cheers
Harvey
 

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Harvey Nimmo
On 29/12/2018 16:02, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
[...]
> I am running gramps on Open Suse Leap 15. The Yast2 software manager
> shows the available/installed packages. 'texlive-pict2e' is the way
> the packages are named there.

OK, that's just yast2's way of saying the package belongs to texlive.

> I see that the site https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:GenealogyTree states that prerequisites
> for using the LaTex reports are that textlive-pictures (yes, written
> like that)

That extra "t" must be just a typo.

> is required

There *is* a Linux distribution package (eg Ubuntu, SUSE, etc) called
texlive-pictures with no second "t", so that's probably what he meant.
Install that using whatever you normally use for installing Linux packages.


> and also texlive-fontsextra (for non-latin fonts).

That is also a typo. It's called texlive-fonts-extra

Neither of these 2  packages are listed in Yast.

Try texlive-pictures and texlive-fonts-extra

If that works, email the authors of Addon:GenealogyTree and ask them to
update the documentation to give the corrected names.

P


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Harvey Nimmo
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 20:53 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 29/12/2018 16:02, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> [...]
> > I am running gramps on Open Suse Leap 15. The Yast2 software
> > manager
> > shows the available/installed packages. 'texlive-pict2e' is the way
> > the packages are named there.
>
> OK, that's just yast2's way of saying the package belongs to texlive.
>
> > I see that the site https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title
> > =Addon:GenealogyTree states that prerequisites
> > for using the LaTex reports are that textlive-pictures (yes,
> > written
> > like that)
>
> That extra "t" must be just a typo.
>
> > is required
>
> There *is* a Linux distribution package (eg Ubuntu, SUSE, etc)
> called
> texlive-pictures with no second "t", so that's probably what he
> meant.
> Install that using whatever you normally use for installing Linux
> packages.
>
>
> > and also texlive-fontsextra (for non-latin fonts).
>
> That is also a typo. It's called texlive-fonts-extra
>
> Neither of these 2  packages are listed in Yast.
>
> Try texlive-pictures and texlive-fonts-extra
>
> If that works, email the authors of Addon:GenealogyTree and ask them
> to
> update the documentation to give the corrected names.
>
> P
>
Sorry, my mistake. Prerequisites quoted on website is correct:
texlive-pictures. However, also texlive-fontsextra (i.e. without the
second hyphen).

Cheers
Harvey

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

brian fitzgerald
In reply to this post by Harvey Nimmo

I have also noticed that some text rendering in the various latex reports is not quite scaled into the boxes (Clipped at box boundary),

When selecting the 'include images' option the report always fails (pdf or Tex output). Left unchecked, a passably nice report (with colors) is generated with pdf option.

I suspect that several common layout problems are not well addressed in these reports, including; image scaling to box, font scaling to box and paper size scaling to graphic output. It is definitely getting there however! probably a single bug for all these issues.

Unfortunately I have no skills in LaTex....so I must wait for a dev to have some time!

Brian

On 12/29/18 12:16 PM, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 17:37 +0100, Per Starbäck wrote:
Yes, a LaTex file is generated....but...if I pass it to the tex
programm on the command line I get an error message, as below:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2017/TeX Live for SUSE
Linux)
[...]
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
                  [portrait]{article}
Don't run "tex" but som kind of "latex". (I would run "lualatex".)

The PDF now runs (but without colours)!! It worked after I tried to
call lualatex once from the command line.

Harvey


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Nick Hall
On 30/12/2018 17:00, brian wrote:
>
> I have also noticed that some text rendering in the various latex
> reports is not quite scaled into the boxes (Clipped at box boundary),
>
> When selecting the 'include images' option the report always fails
> (pdf or Tex output). Left unchecked, a passably nice report (with
> colors) is generated with pdf option.
>

Try generating a tex file and then run lualatex from the command line. 
What error messages do you get?


> I suspect that several common layout problems are not well addressed
> in these reports, including; image scaling to box, font scaling to box
> and paper size scaling to graphic output. It is definitely getting
> there however! probably a single bug for all these issues.
>
> Unfortunately I have no skills in LaTex....so I must wait for a dev to
> have some time!
>

You could report scaling problems upstream at:

https://github.com/T-F-S/genealogytree/issues

Regards,


Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error on printing report tree

Per Starbäck
> Try generating a tex file and then run lualatex from the command line.
> What error messages do you get?

Yes, do that! Save a generated LaTeX file that you have problems with
and then see if it generates any error messages or warnings.

> > I suspect that several common layout problems are not well addressed
> > in these reports, including; image scaling to box, font scaling to box
> > and paper size scaling to graphic output. It is definitely getting
> > there however! probably a single bug for all these issues.

> You could report scaling problems upstream at:
>
> https://github.com/T-F-S/genealogytree/issues

I don't think you should. That would likely only be noise there at
this moment. I doubt very much there actually are problems with font
scaling in the genealogytree package, for example. My guess is that
you have a font replaced by another one and a warning about that when
you make the file. But if not I'd be interested in seeing a generated
LaTeX file that generates problems like that. As for paper size
scaling there is nothing there that is meant to scale trees to make
them fit a particular paper size. When I make a pdf with just a single
tree I just let it be as big as it "wants" to be (with the standalone
class) .and I have suggested the same for the Gramps addon.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org