Error running 'Remove Unused Objects'

Brad Rogers
Hello All,

IDK when this problem first arose (newish machine, running on Debian
testing), but I get the following error report when I try to run the
"Remove Unused Objects" tool;

---
2046453: ERROR: tool.py: line 257: Failed to start tool.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/plug/tool.py", line
251, in gui_tool tool_class(dbstate = dbstate, user = user,
  File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/tool/removeunused.py",
line 127, in __init__ self.init_gui() File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/tool/removeunused.py",
line 175, in init_gui self.sort_model =
self.real_model.sort_new_with_model() AttributeError: 'ListStore' object
has no attribute 'sort_new_with_model'
---

Clearly, something's missing;  I know little (read: next to nothing,
other than the name) about python, so can't diagnose the problem myself.
I've probably got something missing.  Any clues appreciated.

--
 Regards  _
Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks

Re: Error running 'Remove Unused Objects'

J. Allen Crider-2
Actually I've been seeing the same problem for several weeks.  My best
guess is that the upgrade to Kubuntu 20.04 caused the problem.  I
haven't spent any time investigating it but when I find time I may try
to rebuild gramps from source to see if that changes anything.

On 6/30/20 10:48 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> IDK when this problem first arose (newish machine, running on Debian
> testing), but I get the following error report when I try to run the
> "Remove Unused Objects" tool;
>
> ---
> 2046453: ERROR: tool.py: line 257: Failed to start tool.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/plug/tool.py", line
> 251, in gui_tool tool_class(dbstate = dbstate, user = user,
>    File
> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/tool/removeunused.py",
> line 127, in __init__ self.init_gui() File
> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/tool/removeunused.py",
> line 175, in init_gui self.sort_model =
> self.real_model.sort_new_with_model() AttributeError: 'ListStore' object
> has no attribute 'sort_new_with_model'
> ---
>
> Clearly, something's missing;  I know little (read: next to nothing,
> other than the name) about python, so can't diagnose the problem myself.
> I've probably got something missing.  Any clues appreciated.

Re: Error running 'Remove Unused Objects'

We are aware of the problem.  It was caused by a mistake in one of the libraries that Gramps uses; they mistakenly removed a function that we use.  At the moment it only affects those who are using the very latest Linux releases, we hope they will release a patch in an update.

We have a work-around in Gramps that should appear in the next release of Gramps, just in case the upstream fixes take a while.

Paul C.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks
Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks

Re: Error running 'Remove Unused Objects'

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:59:37 -0500
Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>We are aware of the problem.  It was caused by a mistake in one of the

Thanks Paul.  I had assumed that it was "just me".  I recently performed
some removals of python(3) stuff.  The removals wre related to speech and
braille, neither of which I use.  I thought that I might have been too
'aggressive' in my approach.

>We have a work-around in Gramps that should appear in the next release
>of Gramps, just in case the upstream fixes take a while.

Whatever happens, I look forward to a resolution.

Once again, thanks for the information, Paul.

--
 Regards  _
The public wants what the public gets