Event Description

Phylis Sophical
What is the purpose of the column called 'Description' in a person's 'Events'?
It seems redundant being as the 'Type' column already lists the same thing. Except for marriages which does list the spouse. Good if there is multiple marriages.
I'd like to delete the info that seems to automatically be placed there when creating an event but I fear that info may be used in some other area that makes it necessary.
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: Event Description

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
Phylis Sophical <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Phylis,

>What is the purpose of the column called 'Description' in a person's
>'Events'?

Depends on the Event:  Occupation has to have a description.  Birth,
Baptism, Marriage, etc. can all benefit from having names added there,
IMO.  Especially if you add them 'Surname, First Name' with birth and
death dates, to separate all those repeated names.

A little imagination will no doubt come up with many more uses.

--
 Regards  _
Sign away your life

Re: Event Description

paul womack
Phylis Sophical wrote:
> What is the purpose of the column called 'Description' in a person's
> 'Events'?
> It seems redundant being as the 'Type' column already lists the same thing.
> Except for marriages which does list the spouse. Good if there is multiple
> marriages.

Well, in an event of Type "Occupation" I tend to put
words like "Blacksmith" or "Milliner" in the Description. :-)

  BugBear

Re: Event Description

Doug-11
On 26/07/17 19:44, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
> Phylis Sophical <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Phylis,
>
>> What is the purpose of the column called 'Description' in a person's
>> 'Events'?
> Depends on the Event:  Occupation has to have a description.  Birth,
> Baptism, Marriage, etc. can all benefit from having names added there,
> IMO.  Especially if you add them 'Surname, First Name' with birth and
> death dates, to separate all those repeated names.
>
> A little imagination will no doubt come up with many more uses.

+1.
e.g. Type: Port of call; Place: Alexandria; Description:
ship Toscanelli
Type: Activity; Place: Hett; Description: coal mining
Type: Escape; Place: Warsaw; Description: survival in the
ghetto.

I've found it very convenient always to leave the Event
description blank (except where I had a particular
Description in mind like those above) and use the Tools=>
Family Tree Processing=> Extract Event Description to
populate the Description fields automatically.
Especially handy when I've had a great bunch of descriptions
wrong because of errors in the family tree - delete the lot
and Extract Event Description

Doug

Re: Event Description

Sebastian Schubert
Hi Doug

> e.g. Type: Port of call; Place: Alexandria; Description: ship Toscanelli
> Type: Activity; Place: Hett; Description: coal mining
> Type: Escape; Place: Warsaw; Description: survival in the ghetto.

I also use this approach: adding event description when it gives
additional (sometimes required) information.

> I've found it very convenient always to leave the Event description blank
> (except where I had a particular Description in mind like those above) and
> use the Tools=>
> Family Tree Processing=> Extract Event Description to populate the
> Description fields automatically.
> Especially handy when I've had a great bunch of descriptions wrong because
> of errors in the family tree - delete the lot and Extract Event Description

I don't find this approach useful because it only adds information
that is already available (it is done automatically). This kind of
event description doesn't help in any way, it actually reduces the
attention towards useful entries like  your examples above and it has
to be manually updated when for example the name of the participants
change.

Cheers
Sebastian

Re: Event Description

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 11:01:13 +0100
Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug,

>Description in mind like those above) and use the Tools=>
>Family Tree Processing=> Extract Event Description to
>populate the Description fields automatically.

Never used it myself.  Mainly because anything added is merely extracted
from already available info.  Plus, of course, for Events such as
Residence, the description is self-evident.

--
 Regards  _
Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out

Re: Event Description

Nick Hall
On 27/07/17 11:45, Brad Rogers wrote:
Description in mind like those above) and use the Tools=>
Family Tree Processing=> Extract Event Description to
populate the Description fields automatically.
Never used it myself.  Mainly because anything added is merely extracted
from already available info.  Plus, of course, for Events such as
Residence, the description is self-evident.

This tool was useful before the participants column was added.

Re: Event Description

Simon C. Tremblay
Auto-population of that field must be optional because it does not behave like that for me.  Event description field is always empty by default.

My most common use of the filed is to record occupation.

I Also find it useful to add "Baptism of Tremblay, Joseph" for those events where I add other participants than the main subjet to an events (Godparents, witnesses, etc), because it was confusing looking at their event lists and seeing multiple similar events (like baptisms).  There is the role column, but it's less obvious in certain display/reports.

Last common use for me is to use it for quick word or two research related, when I don't want to create a complete note.

Simon

On 26 July 2017 at 12:48, Phylis Sophical <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the purpose of the column called 'Description' in a person's
'Events'?
It seems redundant being as the 'Type' column already lists the same thing.
Except for marriages which does list the spouse. Good if there is multiple
marriages.
I'd like to delete the info that seems to automatically be placed there when
creating an event but I fear that info may be used in some other area that
makes it necessary.

-----
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: Event Description

Phylis Sophical
Glad I asked. Some great Ideas here. For death, I could put their FAG memorial #.
Simon, It must have been an older version of Gramps that automatically entered info. My recent v. doesn't do that either.
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10