Event Types

Richard Nairn
Is there any way to modify the Event Type selection list? I just figured
out you can type free text and it will put it under Custom.

I am trying to add a few standard religious event types regarding the
intake into a convent. (Entered Order, Last Vow). I would like to put
those under the Religious event type menu.

Thanks.

Re: Event Types

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Personally, I would categorize any benchmark in a Religious Order (enclosed or otherwise) under Vocation, Ordination.  Then decide on a structured description and stick to it. (Probably best to visit the Order in question and ask how they define their hierarchy.)

You can always add the Institution under places and you can add date ranges for the missions they undertake.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:33, Richard Nairn
Is there any way to modify the Event Type selection list? I just figured
out you can type free text and it will put it under Custom.

I am trying to add a few standard religious event types regarding the
intake into a convent. (Entered Order, Last Vow). I would like to put
those under the Religious event type menu.

Thanks.

Re: Event Types

Richard Nairn

Ordination is specific to entering the priesthood, and isn't applicable to becoming a nun.

Re: Event Types

Dave Scheipers
Hi Richard

You have discovered that you can add custom event Types. This is also
true for all of the drop-down lists. You can add your own attributes,
Place Type, Name type, Event Roles... Just type it in and it will be
available to you for other entries.

The problem with custom entries is that they will not translate. This
is not always a problem because for most users, we do all our work in
one language and only print out reports in the one language.

The bigger problem you will notice is that many reports will not
handle them as we may want or expect. I use the Complete Individual
Report most often. There is built into Gramps groupings of event
types. Any custom event will group under Custom events and not under
the Religious category in your example.

So there are trade offs. I would try to limit the use of custom
entries, but when you do think you need one, think about how it will
display in your most used reports. There is no correct answer to the
issue. we each set up our environment to suit our own needs.

HTH Dave

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 2:33 PM Richard Nairn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ordination is specific to entering the priesthood, and isn't applicable to becoming a nun.
>
> On 2019-01-15 12:04 p.m., [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Personally, I would categorize any benchmark in a Religious Order (enclosed or otherwise) under Vocation, Ordination.  Then decide on a structured description and stick to it. (Probably best to visit the Order in question and ask how they define their hierarchy.)
>
> You can always add the Institution under places and you can add date ranges for the missions they undertake.
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:33, Richard Nairn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any way to modify the Event Type selection list? I just figured
> out you can type free text and it will put it under Custom.
>
> I am trying to add a few standard religious event types regarding the
> intake into a convent. (Entered Order, Last Vow). I would like to put
> those under the Religious event type menu.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Event Types

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 11:18:27 -0700
Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Is there any way to modify the Event Type selection list?

If you want your new events placed anywhere other than 'Custom', only by
modifying the source code.

TBH, it doesn't really matter they're stored in the list, because when
you start typing in the Event Type list, any matching event will come up
anyway.  Typing more characters reduces the match list eventually
leaving only the one.

--
 Regards  _
You're all invited to a party, you don't even have to come

Re: Event Types

Actually, ordained means put in holy order. It is not a a synonym for priesthood.

Which is why you technically must include what station in the Order into which the person is installed.

It is only modern lazy linguistic narrowing to assume a station of priesthood. ( A kneejerk overreaction tracing to the battle against ordaining women to a specific station.)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 13:34, Richard Nairn

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (268 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Event Types

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 09:04:45 +0000 (UTC)
Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, ordained means put in holy order. It is not a a synonym for priesthood.

For instance, Elders of the Socts Kirk (Churh or Scotland) are ordained.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
              The most beautiful curve on a woman is her smile.
                                                                --Bob Marley

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Event Types

Richard Nairn

Thanks for the response.

I will respectfully disagree. I can't find anything that uses the term ordination when it comes to becoming a nun. From my understanding in this context it is used to indicate someone has gone through the Sarament of Ordination which is specfic. Here are some of what I found. It even distinguishes Holy Order which you refer to.

"The term "religious orders" is distinguished from Holy Orders (the sacrament of ordination which bishops, priests, and deacons receive), though many communities do have ordained members."

"2. Nuns are ordained.
Priests and deacons receive the sacrament of Holy Orders. They are ordained. Religious brothers and sisters are not. We are part of the laity."

https://anunslife.org/blog/nun-talk/are-sisters-and-nuns-considered-clergy

Anyway food for thought. This why I was avoiding categorizing the events relating to intake as part of an ordination process, because the language specific to the church does not support that use.

Cheers,

Richard

Re: Event Types

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

I have to agree with Richard

From
https://www.catholic.com/qa/are-nuns-female-non-ordained-members-of-the-clergy

Full Question
Is a nun who makes her final profession of vows receiving any kind of
sacrament by doing so? Is this the equivalent of holy orders? I
understand that such nuns, along with brothers and monks, are therefore
members of the clergy, just like priests, except that they aren't ordained.

Answer

Your understanding contains some misunderstandings. Let's see if we can
straighten them out quickly. By making a formal, public profession of
solemn vows (the evangelical counsels of poverty, chastity, and
obedience) a nun promises to live as a consecrated religious for the
rest of her life. This taking of vows is not holy orders, which is the
reception of the priesthood. Although they live consecrated lives, nuns
(or "sisters "), brothers, and those monks who are not ordained as
priests (some monks receive ordination, many don't) are all lay people.
They are not members of the clergy, and it is not correct for us or for
them to refer to them as clergy.

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfrie
On 16/01/2019 15:53, Richard Nairn wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I will respectfully disagree. I can't find anything that uses the term
> ordination when it comes to becoming a nun. From my understanding in
> this context it is used to indicate someone has gone through the
> Sarament of Ordination which is specfic. Here are some of what I found.
> It even distinguishes Holy Order which you refer to.
>
> "The term "religious orders" is distinguished fromHoly Orders
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Orders>(the sacrament ofordination
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordination>which bishops, priests, and
> deacons receive), though many communities do have ordained members."
>
> "2. Nuns are ordained.
> Priests and deacons receive the sacrament of Holy Orders. They are
> ordained. Religious brothers and sisters are not. We are part of the
> laity."
>
> https://anunslife.org/blog/nun-talk/are-sisters-and-nuns-considered-clergy
>
> Anyway food for thought. This why I was avoiding categorizing the events
> relating to intake as part of an ordination process, because the
> language specific to the church does not support that use.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
> On 2019-01-16 2:04 a.m., [hidden email] wrote:
>> Actually, ordained means put in holy order. It is not a a synonym for
>> priesthood.
>>
>> Which is why you technically must include what station in the Order
>> into which the person is installed.
>>
>> It is only modern lazy linguistic narrowing to assume a station of
>> priesthood. ( A kneejerk overreaction tracing to the battle against
>> ordaining women to a specific station.)
>>
>>     On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 13:34, Richard Nairn

Re: Event Types

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Interesting!

I suspect this interpretation varies based upon the Religion you practice. And that means people from Religion with opposing codifications will also disagree.

It is nice that Gramps supports different approaches. Wonderful that we can discuss such things peaceably.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:09, phil wharram via Gramps-users