Event for no event

Gazza
Looking for comments.

I am considering creating an event to indicate that I am unable to find
any evidence of an event.

For instance, where I cannot find a census entry for someone who I know
was alive at that time. I would then make a comment in the description
field to indicate I cannot find the census entry, and mark the event as
private so that it does not appear in reports.

My idea is that when I notice the event missing sometime in the future I
will come across the event marked private and know why I do not have the
actual event.
As it is when I come across an anomaly I can no longer remember why it
is missing and waste time again searching for something that is not there.
I see this being useful to me for the main life events like birth,
baptism, marriage, death and census.

Any comments?

Re: Event for no event

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Garry,

Garry Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am considering creating an event to indicate that I am unable to
> find any evidence of an event.

what about using Tags for this? like "missing Event: <eventtype>"? You
could apply as many tags as you want (for each event....) and search for
all people tagged by a specific tag.

Best Regards,
Oliver

Re: Event for no event

paul womack
Garry Seeley wrote:

> Looking for comments.
>
> I am considering creating an event to indicate that I am unable to find any evidence of an event.
>
> For instance, where I cannot find a census entry for someone who I know was alive at that time. I would then make a comment in the description field to indicate I cannot find the census entry, and mark the event as private so that it does not appear in reports.
>
> My idea is that when I notice the event missing sometime in the future I will come across the event marked private and know why I do not have the actual event.
> As it is when I come across an anomaly I can no longer remember why it is missing and waste time again searching for something that is not there.
> I see this being useful to me for the main life events like birth, baptism, marriage, death and census.
>
> Any comments?

Seems a good idea - I would use a TAG (e.g. called "missing") as the label though.

  BugBear

Re: Event for no event

Harvey Nimmo

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 16:12 +0800, Garry Seeley wrote:

> Looking for comments.
>
> I am considering creating an event to indicate that I am unable to
> find
> any evidence of an event.
>
> For instance, where I cannot find a census entry for someone who I
> know
> was alive at that time. I would then make a comment in the
> description
> field to indicate I cannot find the census entry, and mark the event
> as
> private so that it does not appear in reports.
>
> My idea is that when I notice the event missing sometime in the
> future I
> will come across the event marked private and know why I do not have
> the
> actual event.
> As it is when I come across an anomaly I can no longer remember why
> it
> is missing and waste time again searching for something that is not
> there.
> I see this being useful to me for the main life events like birth,
> baptism, marriage, death and census.
>
> Any comments?

Dear Garry,

bear in mind that you are dependent on transcriptions of documents for
your information. The transcriptions may be in error for a number of
reasons (e.g. illegible handwriting, damaged documents (water, fire
etc), decay with time, etc). So what you think does not exist, may
indeed exist under a wrongly transcribed name. I was lucky to have
found a number of valid records that had been transcribed poorly. For
example in the 1881 UK Census the surname Page had been transcribed
Pago just because the Census taker had written the final 'e' with a bit
of a flourish. Also the surname Cottam had been transcribed Cattano in
the 1841 UK Census. The final leg of the the 'm' had been stretched a
bit too far from the rest. Who would have imagined that I could ever
have found those records? So you may not be wise to give up
'permanently' on the record of an event, unless the archivers of the
documents declare them not to be available for a particular place at a
particular time.

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Event for no event

Gazza

On 06/06/18 19:09, Garry Seeley wrote:

> [...]
>> reasons (e.g. illegible handwriting, damaged documents (water, fire
>> etc), decay with time, etc). So what you think does not exist, may
>> indeed exist under a wrongly transcribed name. I was lucky to have
>> found a number of valid records that had been transcribed poorly. For
>> example in the 1881 UK Census the surname Page had been transcribed
>> Pago just because the Census taker had written the final 'e' with a bit
>> of a flourish. Also the surname Cottam had been transcribed Cattano in
>> the 1841 UK Census. The final leg of the the 'm' had been stretched a
>> bit too far from the rest. Who would have imagined that I could ever
>> have found those records? So you may not be wise to give up
>> 'permanently' on the record of an event, unless the archivers of the
>> documents declare them not to be available for a particular place at a

Re: Event for no event

Dave Scheipers
I have a set of event records for censuses, one for each year with the
description "Unable to Locate YYYY Census" and I have the record
marked 'Private". I share the event with anyone after a thorough
search.

Dave

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 7:10 AM, Garry Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/06/18 19:09, Garry Seeley wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>> I have been experimenting with Tags and Events and I see that tags are
>> included in the 'Complete Individual Report' which is not what I want,
>> especially if I have numerous tags with my own coded comments. The
>> information may be confusing and distracting to anyone reading the report.
>> Events seem to allow more scope to add detailed notes as to what, where and
>> when I have searched.
>>
>> Your right Harvey I have also found some odd transcription and spelling
>> variations. I am thinking that using the Event Notes I may be able to keep
>> track of what variations I have search for.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Garry

>>> Dear Garry,
>>>
>>> bear in mind that you are dependent on transcriptions of documents for
>>> your information. The transcriptions may be in error for a number of
>>> reasons (e.g. illegible handwriting, damaged documents (water, fire
>>> etc), decay with time, etc). So what you think does not exist, may
>>> indeed exist under a wrongly transcribed name. I was lucky to have
>>> found a number of valid records that had been transcribed poorly. For
>>> example in the 1881 UK Census the surname Page had been transcribed
>>> Pago just because the Census taker had written the final 'e' with a bit
>>> of a flourish. Also the surname Cottam had been transcribed Cattano in
>>> the 1841 UK Census. The final leg of the the 'm' had been stretched a
>>> bit too far from the rest. Who would have imagined that I could ever
>>> have found those records? So you may not be wise to give up
>>> 'permanently' on the record of an event, unless the archivers of the
>>> documents declare them not to be available for a particular place at a
>>> particular time.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Harvey

Fwd: Re: Event for no event

Gazza
Cool. That is looking like a good solution for me also.